QF 1 | Portugal - England (2 Viewers)

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
sven think he's still in italy :rofl: after owen's goal, they just sit back adn defended. gr8 game by the portuguese tho, and they are the rightful winners :thumb:

conclusion from the game : JAMES + BECKS SUCK BIG TIME :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by A_LAcki ] ++
That penalty was very funny. If he had not scored, he would have been the idiot of the nation, now he is the hero! Funny.
Antonin Panenka's was an even more dumbfounding shot and, more importantly, it was utterly shocking as something wholly unprecendented (and thus completely unexpected) in that level of football at the time. They called him both a madman and a genius for that penalty shot, and he was probably both.

But that's exactly whom I thought of when I saw Postiga's shot.

Question: Why did Ricardo save the one penalty without his gloves?
Maybe he was warming up for his kick? ;) But did you catch his kick? It was the most perfectly placed penalty shot of the whole lot out there. I cannot remember a game where I've even seen a goalie take a penalty kick, let alone nail it like that one.

And for all the England angst of "robbery" (please) and the like -- hey: here's my standard response to this sort of thing. The game is not about convincing millions of viewers on their sofas with zoom camera angles and slow-motion replays. It's about what happens on the pitch. Play should not be about convincing Trevor down at the local pub, catching the match on the telly while downing his Samuel Smith's. It's about convincing the referee on the pitch. If the play can't do that, then it's not convincing enough.

Congrats to Carvalho for being named Man of the Match. He had a good game, but I'm a bit surprised given that he's certainly had better games.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think Scolari is an overrated windbag. That said, he made some great player choices in this game. Pauleta has been crap, and Nuno Gomes should have started regardless of Pauleta's suspended status.

But they started the game with their best 11, IMO. And Figo has not been effective in this tournament -- and clearly wasn't in this game. So talk about some real validation for pulling him off the pitch for the guy who scores the equilizer.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Ok the morning after the disaster :D

Now that im sober and have had some (ok ALOT) of retail therapy im moving on ;)

England were unlucky. Ive seen replys of the Goal and have seen Terrys arm on the keeper, i still think it should have been allowed though it was clearly unintentional and the keeper made a meal of it. But still i would be pissed if such a decision was given against us so...

But to be going to the semis, A goal to be dissallowed then Portugal to score it was heartbreaking. We got an equaliser and we were looking like winning. Penalties were unlucky, Becks cant be blamed the spot made him miss. James was a dissapointment. He wasnt near any penalties, his time in the squad should end, he isnt a safe keeper.

It was fun, being in a bar with the atmosphere chearing on your nation is the best thing. League football cant compare, i dont like it anywhere near as much. Sad its over and everythings back to normal. But theres always the world cup qualifiers coming up with an interesting group ;)

Ronaldo was disrespectful to the nation he plays in. His unsportingly penalty and jibes at England players have not been missed. I'll be sure to 'great' him with the same respect upon his return. ;)

And with England gone, considering almost all my posts were about England, my contribution here is likely to end soon. Been fun though. And maybe ill come back for the World Cup. (Or if an English team stuff Juve again:D)

River

Jun 15, 2004
And for people complaining about the English response and showing images of tabloid newspapers. Get over it. What do you expect for a tabloid. Fools.

And to the other 'liers' who claim England laughed at Italys defeat. Stop talking out of your ass, because there are people here who actually live in England and know its lies. You just make yourself look stupid.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
I think Scolari is an overrated windbag. That said, he made some great player choices in this game. Pauleta has been crap, and Nuno Gomes should have started regardless of Pauleta's suspended status.

But they started the game with their best 11, IMO. And Figo has not been effective in this tournament -- and clearly wasn't in this game. So talk about some real validation for pulling him off the pitch for the guy who scores the equilizer.

luck or whatever it is that he did it worked.

who puts phil neville in anyway?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

And to the other 'liers' who claim England laughed at Italys defeat. Stop talking out of your ass, because there are people here who actually live in England and know its lies. You just make yourself look stupid.
The only person making himself look stupid in this instance is you, sadly, because I know for a fact that English people laughed at Italy's exit. How do you know it's lies? Because you yourself didn't laugh means that it's lies? Right, anyways...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Actually I meant English people from England that were born in England that reside in England but who cares. I'm going to end this by saying goodnight.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Ok the morning after the disaster :D

Now that im sober and have had some (ok ALOT) of retail therapy im moving on ;)

England were unlucky. Ive seen replys of the Goal and have seen Terrys arm on the keeper, i still think it should have been allowed though it was clearly unintentional and the keeper made a meal of it. But still i would be pissed if such a decision was given against us so...

But to be going to the semis, A goal to be dissallowed then Portugal to score it was heartbreaking. We got an equaliser and we were looking like winning. Penalties were unlucky, Becks cant be blamed the spot made him miss. James was a dissapointment. He wasnt near any penalties, his time in the squad should end, he isnt a safe keeper.

It was fun, being in a bar with the atmosphere chearing on your nation is the best thing. League football cant compare, i dont like it anywhere near as much. Sad its over and everythings back to normal. But theres always the world cup qualifiers coming up with an interesting group ;)

Ronaldo was disrespectful to the nation he plays in. His unsportingly penalty and jibes at England players have not been missed. I'll be sure to 'great' him with the same respect upon his return. ;)

And with England gone, considering almost all my posts were about England, my contribution here is likely to end soon. Been fun though. And maybe ill come back for the World Cup. (Or if an English team stuff Juve again:D)
Well, I guess we won't be seeing you for the Champions League Final. Considering the fact that England is the least represented Nation from the top four footballing Leagues when it comes to teams in the Champions League Final for the past 20 Years. I guess more hard luck for England there, huh? :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Just hope juve dont draw Man Utd again, for your sake :D
Oohhh, oh no! We're shaking in our boots! Please, not Man United! They are the best Club in the world. :rolleyes:

Mind you that our squad was down with the flu bug for those matches.

I'm not concerned at all. ;)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It was the flu as well. Players were still inflicted by it. Have you ever had it? Its a biatch, ya know. :D Hard to play footy matches with it. Don't worry, you won't get that lucky again.

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Oohhh, oh no! We're shaking in our boots! Please, not Man United! They are the best Club in the world. :rolleyes:

Mind you that our squad was down with the flu bug for those matches.

I'm not concerned at all. ;)
keep your sarcasm for better days andy, river's right.

stu, i also laughed at italy's elimination. when team with such squad playes like italy did everyone SHOULD laugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)