Primary suspects: Juve, Milan, Lazio & Fiorentina (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Prosecutors are investigating top clubs, referees and officials for suspected match-fixing in the biggest scandal to hit Italy since the 1980s.
Two senior officials of Juventus, Italy's most successful club, are among 41 people under formal investigation.

Six-times European champions AC Milan as well as Lazio feature in the probe of 19 league games from last season.

In Rome, police searched the soccer federation's offices and those of the referees' association.

Referee Massimo De Santis, who will take part in next month's World Cup in Germany, is being investigated in the probe.

The crisis led incoming Prime Minister Romano Prodi to suggest that a political 'commisar' be put in charge of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC).

Franco Carraro resigned as FIGC president on Monday and is also under investigation by Naples magistrates.

Carraro responded to reports earlier this week that he was under investigation by saying: "I am absolutely calm because I know I have always acted correctly.

"Over the years I have featured in many investigations from magistrates and I have always been cleared or acquitted."

The worlds of business and politics are closely linked to Italian football - former prime minister Berlusconi is owner of AC Milan while the powerful Fiat-owning Agnelli family effectively control Juventus through a holding company.

MATCH-FIXING PROBE MUSHROOMS
May 4: Intercepted phone conversations between Juve's Luciano Moggi and Pierluigi Pairetto, a former member of the federation's refereeing commission, published
May 8: Italian Football federation president Franco Carraro resigns
May 11: Federation vice-president Innocenzo Mazzini resigns
May 11: Entire Juventus board resigns
Leading Italian businessman Diego Dalle Valle, owner of the luxury goods firm Tod's and honorary president of Florence club Fiorentina, was also named on Friday along with his brother Andrea.

Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi and CEO Antonio Giraudo are at the centre of the scandal which was triggered by the publication of telephone taps of them discussing refereeing appointments with senior federation officials.

On Thursday the board of directors of Juventus resigned en masse ahead of a shareholders' meeting on 29 June.

Turin magistrates have put Giraudo under investigation for possible false accounting relating to transfer dealings.

Magistrates in Rome are examining the operation of the GEA management company, which controls almost 200 players and coaches and is headed by Moggi's son Alessandro.

Juventus are strong favourites to win their 29th Italian title on Sunday's final day of the season, although the status of last season's win now depends on the outcome of the investigations.

If Juventus were to be found guilty of "sporting fraud", they could be stripped of their title win and face demotion to the second tier Serie B.

In the last major scandal to hit Italian football, AC Milan and Lazio were demoted to Serie B in 1980 following a match-fixing and illegal gambling investigation.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/europe/4765173.stm

Published: 2006/05/12 17:29:16 GMT

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Being demoted to the lower divisions by ourselfs does sound lonely. It would be nice to have the other three accompany us. Infact it would be more than nice, I hope they find good evidence on them too :D. Infact why not the whole of serie A whilst at it, they might as well just swap the leagues around.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Fight Club said:
off topic, but how does the google translation work?
just coz i saw someone mention it above
Click on here http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Then paste what you want to translate in the Translate text box and choose from what language to what language you want to translate.

You get to the option via Language Tools, they are only available in the google.com in English version.

Arvin

Juve Star
Dec 30, 2004
shevachenko....i dont know how it spells but he is afraid now he wants to leave milan becoz of family......lol what happens to his family now, he just dont want to play t serie b, c thats he is going to chelsea becoz of family bussines......lol shevachenko..

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
he wont be playing in the serie B in the first place.so wouldnt almost the whole of milan's first team regulars.so wether he moves on or when milan's demotion is official is irrelevant.and the same goes for us.

natedizzle89

Jan 11, 2006
If we get demoted to serie b that will really suck as our players are not going to want to play in serie b and some will leave. Do anything to us but don't send us to serie b. Goal. com said its highly improbable as we are serie a's most important asset. As they put it serie a's golden egg. I hope they are right.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Mr. Gol said:
It would be the first time Inter feel like winners if all of the clubs are relegated...
Yeah they would certainly feel like winners, but ill "bet" against them winning the league. My moneys on someone like Chievo :D or on a serious issue Roma.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
natedizzle89 said:
Goal. com said its highly improbable as we are serie a's most important asset. As they put it serie a's golden egg. I hope they are right.
Somehow I think they are really mean milan, they have shown a better pedigree in europe than us.

cunninlynguists

Amsterdam Ambassador
May 7, 2006
These are the 19 games from 2004-05 that are under scrutiny. By clicking on the links, you can read the original match reports:

Reggina 2-1 Juventus

Lecce 0-1 Juventus

Juventus 2-1 Lazio

Fiorentina 1-0 Bologna

Bologna 0-1 Juventus

Juventus 2-1 Udinese

Roma 1-2 Juventus

Inter 3-2 Fiorentina

Fiorentina 3-3 Juve

Chievo 0-1 Lazio

Lazio 2-0 Parma

Bologna 1-2 Lazio

Siena 2-1 Milan

Lazio 1-1 Fiorentina

Chievo 1-2 Fiorentina

Lecce 3-3 Parma

Livorno 3-6 Siena

Milan 1-1 Brescia

Milan 1-0 Chievo

(football italia)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)