Premier League 2018/19 (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Oh please! He was a great goalkeeper, and he was not making it up. It is indeed textbook defending. For instance, read no.3 here:
http://www.5-a-side.com/tactics/defending-2-vs-1/
Fuck off, Ronn. Stop trying to be a smart arse.

That article doesn't even support what you said at all. Also, try reading not just #3 but the entire piece, and especially #4 & #5 which suggests you would eventually commit to pressing the ball.

Even the diagram in #3 has the defender moving towards the player in possession, and NOT the opposite. Come on!

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Fuck off. Stop trying to be a smart arse.

That article doesn't even support what you said at all. Also, try reading not just #3 but the entire piece, and especially #4 & #5 which suggests you would eventually commit to pressing the ball.
:lol: why so angry?
This article says press the passing lane but don't get too far off the ball. When you can actually win the ball then attack it. This is exactly what VVD did, except he did not get a chance to win the ball since Sissoko sent it to row z. Stop trying to make it look like something VVD invented.
Of course he executed this basic tactic perfectly, which should be easy for the most expensive defender of the world.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
:lol: why so angry?
This article says press the passing lane but don't get too far off the ball. When you can actually win the ball then attack it. This is exactly what VVD did, except he did not get a chance to win the ball since Sissoko sent it to row z. Stop trying to make it look like something VVD invented.
Of course he executed this basic tactic perfectly, which should be easy for the most expensive defender of the world.
No. VVD did not do this. He gambled by making sure there was no chance of Son being played the ball and, as a result, allowed Sissoko to shoot.

That is not what your internet article by {unknown author} says to do but it is - by your own admission - what your amateur American goalie friend taught you.

If your mate is insisting on a tactic whereby you always allow the player in possession to shoot when in a 1 vs 2 situation, he will have lost a lot of games. Or was up against very poor opponents (which is rather likely, I guess).

P.S. The bold highight, preceeded by the laughing emote suggest you may have been trolling me. To illicit a reaction for a laugh? So I'm going to bed and will leave it there. Peace out.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
No. VVD did not do this. He gambled by making sure there was no chance of Son being played the ball and, as a result, allowed Sissoko to shoot. This is not what your internet article by {unknown author} says to do or - by your own admission - what your amateur American goalie friend told you.

If your mate is insisting on a tactic whereby you always allow the player in possession to shoot when in a 1 vs 2 situation, he will have lost a lot of games. Or was up against very poor opponents (which is rather likely, I guess).
:lol:
The "unknown author" article is teaching something that VVD exactly did. You can't block all of the shots in a 2 on 1 situation. Defender's odds are not great to begin with, so thinking that VVD just dared Sissoko to shoot is ridiculous. He did his best by pressing the passing lane to Son, and eventually succeeded since Sissoko lost his patience and shot. Interestingly, it's even harder in 5-a-side matches, or similar, to do this since there's no offside.
Of course my friend did not ask any defender to dare the shooters. He said exactly what the article said. Press the passing lane, and wait for a mistake. I don't know why you have a hard time accepting the obvious.

P.S. this one too
https://www.onlinesocceracademy.com/soccer-training-videos/defending/how-to-defend-2-v-1

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
:lol:
The "unknown author" article is teaching something that VVD exactly did. You can't block all of the shots in a 2 on 1 situation. Defender's odds are not great to begin with, so thinking that VVD just dared Sissoko to shoot is ridiculous. He did his best by pressing the passing lane to Son, and eventually succeeded since Sissoko lost his patience and shot. Interestingly, it's even harder in 5-a-side matches, or similar, to do this since there's no offside.
Of course my friend did not ask any defender to dare the shooters. He said exactly what the article said. Press the passing lane, and wait for a mistake. I don't know why you have a hard time accepting the obvious.
Mate. I don't need to read any more articles or hear further opinion of amateur American 6-a side goalies [side note: the goals are smaller, and that is relevant].

We're at odds here because you do not believe that VVD allowed Sissoko to shoot. And I believe he did. So that's why we can't agree.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Mate. I don't need to read any more articles or hear further opinion of amateur American 6-a side goalies.

We're at odds here because you do not believe that VVD allowed Sissoko to shoot. And I believe he did. So that's why we can't agree.
No we're at odds here because you resort to name calling not to accept the obvious. What does my friend's nationality have to do with anything? And he was not American by the way.
VVD only allowed Sissoko to shoot on his left foot, because the right foot shooting lane was not great.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
:numnum: I'd have been doubtful had Dai not confirmed it. Seeing as Dai is German, and Germans tend to win, and the English are perennial losers on the global footie stage, I'm gonna trust Dai and his coach :p

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'm with Dante on this one. Sissoko was the lesser of two evils. Putting only a late diving tackle on him was a calculated gamble, knowing that Sissoko on his left foot is going to be much lower probability effort than anything given to Son.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
It is correct in 99% of occasions to go to the man with the ball if he is clean through and NOT to cut his passing option. If you don't, then the man in possession has a free shot on goal. You want to challenge the ball. The striker may fluff his pass or the shot as a result of the challenge. It's all about playing the percentages. You absolutely do not run away from the ball when you are the only defender up against two attackers.
No way, what VVD did is exactly how it should be. The player in possession still has the keeper to beat, and yes you want to challenge the ball but at the very last second after closing the pass, which is what VVD did. If the pass happens the receiver has an open goal with both the keeper and defender committed to the player in possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)