Porto sack Del Neri - official!!! (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Porto sack Del Neri - official
Saturday 7 August, 2004

Ex-Chievo Coach Gigi Del Neri’s Portuguese adventure is over before it has even begun as his club sensationally sacked him this morning.

These were strong reports spreading across all the local media, which were eventually confirmed with an official statement on the Porto website.

The Italian tactician had been drafted in to replace Jose Mourinho at the helm of European Champions Porto in June, but his stint has lasted less than two months.

According to the Portugese newspaper 'La Bola' and radio station TSF, the reason behind this astonishing decision is Del Neri’s repeated absences during training sessions.

He took two days off this week and did not turn up to Friday's get-together either as he had missed his plane back.

The club and players were also said to be unhappy with their disappointing pre-season preparations after losing several high-profile friendly games.

“This is an incredible situation and I am frankly shocked,” stated Chievo director of sport Giovanni Sartori.

“It must be a strange world we live in when this is given as a reason for firing a Coach and his entire staff with three years of their contract left to run. We would have tried out giving them a fine before doing anything so drastic.”

Porto was Del Neri's first major club after taking little Chievo to their first ever Serie A and UEFA Cup experiences.

However, it is not the first time that Del Neri has suffered such humiliation, as he was also sacked before the 1998-99 season had even begun at Empoli for refusing to adopt the President's preferred tactical system.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    Del Neri: The truth will out
    Saturday 7 August, 2004

Gigi Del Neri claims the real reasons behind his shock departure from Porto will not become apparent for a few days, but points the finger at his players.

“This is a difficult moment,” admitted the Coach who split with the European Champions without being in charge of a single competitive match, “but I am reading things that just aren’t true.”

The official club statement did not clarify the reasons behind this sudden ending of their working relationship, but initial reports in Portugal suggested Del Neri’s time-keeping was an issue. This is a major surprise to Serie A followers, who know the tactician’s meticulous attention to detail.

“I have never been late in my career,” assured the former Chievo boss, “and have always prided myself on my punctuality. It is true I was late for Friday’s session, but my flight was delayed by three hours. I can’t go around making planes fall from the air just so I can be on time.”

Another, considerably more plausible, explanation is that the club and a group of players were unhappy with his pre-season training regime.

“Right now it is best I leave everyone else to give their version, then at the right moment I will explain the truth as I see it.”

This was Del Neri’s first major club since taking Chievo from Serie B to a fifth place finish in the top flight, replacing Champions’ League winner Jose Mourinho, but it lasted just two months before this split.

“I don’t regret joining Porto,” he added. “It was an experience I had to go through and now I know what that entails.”

The future is now an enigma for Del Neri, but his old club Chievo is sticking by him after this humiliating exit.

“There were players at Porto who didn’t appreciate his style of management,” revealed director of sport Giovanni Sartori.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/aug7g.html

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Its hard to get the real story. Del Neri's version makes it seem extremely drastic, that Porto sacked him. However, Porto's version seems to make it seem like a plausible decision. After all, theyre european champs, and if they feel they arent being given the due respect by their own coach (absences from training etc) then they have the right to fire him.

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003

how long was his contract for? .. he shouldnt be that sad considering still getting his wages .. maybe he should go back to his holidays :D

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #20
    Cuper to replace Del Neri?
    Sunday 8 August, 2004

Porto may have parted company with their Italian Coach after just two months, but they are looking to another Serie A tactician.

Gigi Del Neri was sensationally sacked – even if the official statement claims the contract was terminated by mutual consent – yesterday morning.

The reasons behind this move remain shrouded in mystery, but the European Champions are undeterred by their negative experience with the former Chievo Coach.

The search is on for a replacement and it’s reported the number one target is another ex-Serie A boss: Hector Cuper.

The Argentine is still under contract with Inter and receiving a salary because of it, but the Nerazzurri would be only too happy to release him so that he can return to management.

Cuper first shot to fame in the Spanish Liga with Real Majorca and Valencia, before two and a half seasons of relative success at the San Siro.

He has a good European pedigree, reaching two Champions’ League Finals with Valencia even if he didn’t win either of them, but his wage demands may price him out of Porto’s range.

Other potential candidates to step in for Del Neri include former Brazil boss Wanderley Luxemburgo, ex-Betis Seville chief Victor Fernandez and Claude Puel of Lille.

A rank outsider for the post is Serse Cosmi, currently unemployed after his stint with Perugia, but already well known in Portugal after he confirmed contact with Benfica during the summer.

Porto’s directors don’t have much time to make a decision, as they must face Giovanni Trapattoni’s Benfica in the Portuguese Supercup on August 20 and Claudio Ranieri’s Valencia for the European Supercup eight days later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)