Porto plan Mourinho talks (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Senior Member
Jul 31, 2002
1,840
#1
From the BBC:-

Porto plan to hold talks with coach Jose Mourinho on Tuesday to discuss his future, but have revealed they have had no contact from any English club.

Mourinho, who led Porto to victory over Monaco in last week's Champions League final, is expected to join Chelsea.

Porto vice-president Fernando Gomes told BBC Sport: "Our position is that Jose has a contract for two more years.

"We're waiting for Jose's decision. There has been no contact from English clubs with Porto."

Gomes added: "The board will meet on Monday and then either on Tuesday, or perhaps Wednesday we will hold talks with Jose Mourinho.

"It's normal that after a successful season a coach like Jose will receive proposals from other clubs.

"He probably thinks it's time to leave, but the first thing is for clubs to talk to us and say they are interested.

"We haven't discussed Mourinho's future, but we are open to analyse other alternatives if Jose wants to leave."

Chievo coach Luigi del Neri has claimed Porto have contacted his representatives over replacing Mourinho, but Gomes denied the Portuguese club had talked about prospective successors.

"At this moment we are waiting for Jose's final decision. We're looking just to see whether Jose goes out of the club and after that we will go out to the market."

Porto midfielder Costinha and team-mate Deco have also expressed a desire to move to Chelsea.

Gomes revealed that Porto will probably need to sell one player this summer to balance the books, but said any club that wants playmaker Deco would have to pay more than £13m.

"Historically we have sold one player every year to balance the accounts.

Our capacity to invest in expensive players is not so great

"With our success this season more of our players are in demand in Europe and probably one or more of those players will go out of the club this summer.

"Both Deco and Costinha are under contract to Porto. You have to take into consideration last season Barcelona made an offer of £13m for Deco, so it's a possibility.

"Our president has said all the players are negotiable. It depends on the value of the offers, but in the case of Deco we would expect to receive more than £13m."

Porto's budget for the current season is £37m - less than a third of Manchester United's - and the club can expect to reap more than £20m from their Champions League success.

Despite that Gomes insisted the club had no plans to spend heavily in the transfer market this summer.

"At this moment we have a difficult moment in our accounts, in that the costs and the revenue don't match. We have also contracts established from three or four years ago and they are very expensive.

"In any case our capacity to invest in expensive players is not so great. The basis of our activities and our philosophy is to look and invest for young players and then sell them."
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)