Photography (1 Viewer)

OP
s4tch

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
  • Thread Starter #172
    Just seen Ken has a video on my cheapo 25 1.8 i love so much :) @s4tch

Neewer, 7 Artisans, Meike - all the same optical formula it seems, different housing.
    looks great bang for the buck indeed. the 7artisans version has good reviews in local forums/groups too. they all echo your impressions. i hope they'll make a similarly priced, optically advanced wide angle too. a sub-$100 12mm or even a 16mm would be haven. manual focus is a lot easier to digest with wide lenses, at least it is for me.

btw i just bought a prime myself: i wanted a 35mm for ages and a barely used fuji xf f2 wr popped up locally. it's everything i wanted: small, sharp, lightweight, with fast and accurate focus. the weather resistance is an added bonus. it cost me barely more than a new xc 35mm. me happy.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    Congrats, hope you'll like it :tup:

Yeah, the F2 seems the better choice. 1.4 version looks a bit outdated to me. Personally, all the way up to 50 i'd get the slower, but more compact versions. I don't need fast aperture at 16 or 23mm.

Recently picked up the Samyang 35 1.4 with Canon EF mount, so i can put it onto the speedbooster. Pretty good sharpness wide open, especially if you consider just how fast the combination is.

OP
    s4tch

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
  • Thread Starter #174
    Congrats, hope you'll like it :tup:

Yeah, the F2 seems the better choice. 1.4 version looks a bit outdated to me. Personally, all the way up to 50 i'd get the slower, but more compact versions. I don't need fast aperture at 16 or 23mm.

Recently picked up the Samyang 35 1.4 with Canon EF mount, so i can put it onto the speedbooster. Pretty good sharpness wide open, especially if you consider just how fast the combination is.
    thanks! the 35 has been missing from my bag since i sold my nikon gear, and i shot 99% of my images with the 35mm 1,8 g on the nikon, so it's sort of a homecoming. completely agreed about the newer versions. that faster aperture would save the day on a couple of occasions, but the trade-off (slower focus, no wr, older construction like moving front element during focusing) isn't really worth it. i wish the 56 had faster focus, because optically, that's a magical lens.

btw the guy who sold the lens is a pro sports photographer and mainly shoots fuji. his favorites are the 100-400 (obviously) and the 90. he said that the xt3 with the new firmware can almost keep up with the sonys when it comes to face detection focusing, which is a huge plus for someone who shoots running events. but he got a sony a9 and an a7iv to try from a buddy and he's contemplating the switch: slightly faster and more accurate face/eye focus, plus the a7iv has a 60-something resolution, so the crop potential makes every single lens more useful: he can crop a 24 mp photo from the middle of the 60 mp one without losing detail. the price though...

congrats for the samyang! with the speedbooster, it's like a ~24, right? classic focal length. and i imagine the depth of field should be killer too... o_O feel free to share some pics...

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    Damn, yeah, being able to crop in that much can not only give you different angles, you can just reframe and get a totally different shot in. I can imagine just how many so-so (loosely framed) shots can be saved like that. Sure great for a sports photographer.

Speaking of the Fuji lenses - Viltrox is so gonna cash in on the fuji market imo. Many desperately waited for good 3rd party lenses.

Yep, the combination is super fast. Wouldn't matter much (as i said above) but i got it for one purpose really - indoor portraits in rather small rooms. I'll shoot some boring stuff in the afternoon to give you an idea of how it looks.

Oh, and the biggest plus:
    I basically got 2 focal lenghts with one lens, as i can use it with and without speedbooster.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    So, admittedly I was lazy as fuck and didn't take it out, but those snaps should at least give you an idea of what it's capable of. All wide open at what basically is 0.95 or so. Uncropped, just straightened out:

DSCF5758-01.jpeg
    DSCF5756-01.jpeg
    DSCF5745-01.jpeg
    DSCF5751-01.jpeg

Impressive sharpness imo. Shot partly against the light coming in from the window as well. Gonna be a great portrait lens.

- - - Updated - - -

@s4tch

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    damn, that's plenty sharp for every situation. looks like you got yourself an other gem, congrats!
    Way sharp enough for portraits that's for sure. How that background completely melts away on the first pic :rofl:
    Almost criminal for such a relatively short focal lenght. I'm really happy indeed.

It looks almost comical on the XT20 though - Huge lens. But i'lll be using it on the XH1 most of the time anyway.

Speaking of it, i want to dive a little more into video making and bought together a cage yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive, shit is gonna look beastly lol.

How you liking the 35 f2? Done some basic bitch snapshots already?

OP
    s4tch

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
  • Thread Starter #179
    Way sharp enough for portraits that's for sure. How that background completely melts away on the first pic :rofl:
    Almost criminal for such a relatively short focal lenght. I'm really happy indeed.

It looks almost comical on the XT20 though - Huge lens. But i'lll be using it on the XH1 most of the time anyway.

Speaking of it, i want to dive a little more into video making and bought together a cage yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive, shit is gonna look beastly lol.

How you liking the 35 f2? Done some basic bitch snapshots already?
    first image caught my eye, it's really ridiculous. gonna draw you some nice portraits, no doubt about it. :tup:

show the rig when it's ready. which mic will you use? my luthier buddy (iirc i pm'd you a vid by him a while ago) tried a couple of different brands and went for a rode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)