Pest problems (1 Viewer)

Len

Feb 13, 2004
Recently, I've felt that my computer is very slow and many programs just don't respond...also many random pop ups and programs get installed on my computer without me doing so....I downloaded adaware and scanned the disk.....

It found over 8000 critical objects.....! I deleted them all, but it took too long.....and some files can't be removed..........My computer is still not as fast as if used to be......what should I do? Do I have a Virus that adaware can't remove?

Buy on AliExpress.com

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Hmm, maybe you hard disk is near to full or something. As for pop-ups, that happened to me to, and unless you install a pop-up killer, I don't think you will remove them. If you have any viruses, then install one of McAfee or Norton, two of the best antiviruses IMO.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
When things get too bad, best to dear it down and start again. Back up everything important and reinstall the OS. I assume you are using Windows and many experts recomend you reinstall Windows every 6-12 months anyway because it isn't excatly well designed and it bogs itself down after a while. Add in spyware/adware/viriusus and the computer can become unbearable to use. Its a pain but reinstalling is the only way to go, once youve reached a certain point.

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Len ] ++
Recently, I've felt that my computer is very slow and many programs just don't respond...also many random pop ups and programs get installed on my computer without me doing so....I downloaded adaware and scanned the disk.....

It found over 8000 critical objects.....! I deleted them all, but it took too long.....and some files can't be removed..........My computer is still not as fast as if used to be......what should I do? Do I have a Virus that adaware can't remove?
Do u remember when these things started? If so u can restore the system of some previous date u can choose.trust me it solves a lot of probs.and u should have new antvirus-program that blocks the ads and viruses :)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
No antivirus/restore/adaware program can put you out of your troubles. As BigIzz said, a format will rest all your troubles to peace.
Yeah, the best way is to format your PC.
But if you have problems with viruses, neither format or antivirus can't sometimes help. That depends of course how serious virus is.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Len ] ++

I had similar problem recently.

What I have done is I downloaded this program called "System Mechanic" from www.download.com and installed a 30 day trial version.

Very sweet program, it deletes all unused files, searches for pop-up starters and gets rid of them, but most importantly- it manages your start-up folder- basically the list of programs that start automatically when you start windows. You can manage them and get rid of all the unnecesary internet-based crap.

So now my computer is like brand new.

Also, I switched to AVAST antivirus (used to have Norton), and it immediately found a couple of trojans and deleted them.

But you should definitely try that System Mechanic soft.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
You can do the same with the McAfee Antivirus. You can remove all unwanted and unused files, as well as viruses, trojans, adwares, spywares, e-mail spams etc.

OP
Len

Len

Feb 13, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    Thanks for all the comments so far guys....I'll try some.....recently its getting better, but many of the people at my school have got the same problem too on their laptops...so I'll ask them, what they have done...etc..

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    I found some tips for ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Tip No. 1: Turn off notifications
    On installation, tell ZoneAlarm not to alert you when it blocks an attempt to contact your computer from the Internet. Most of these contacts are innocent. Though it's interesting to see what kind of activity is taking place, ultimately the incessant notifications will prove a distraction.

Tip No. 2: Block unnecessary access
    ZoneAlarm alerts you when an application on your computer tries to contact an address on the Internet. Only allow access for programs you know need the Internet. These include your Web browser and e-mail client, as well as any program that has an automatic-update feature. Don't let other programs, such as Microsoft Word, contact the Internet unless you know what they're doing.

Tip No. 3: Automatically lock Internet access
    Unless you're downloading files, it's a good idea to lock Internet access when you step away from the computer. In the ZoneAlarm Control Center, click Program Control, then click On in the Automatic Lock area. Click the Custom button and choose how much idle time should pass before the Internet lock kicks in.

Tip No. 4: Lock your host file
    Some viruses or other malicious programs may add their own entries to your host file, which could misdirect your Web browser. ZoneAlarm can lock your host file to prevent changes. Click Firewall in the ZoneAlarm Control Center, then click the Advanced button. Check the box next to Lock Host File.

Tip No. 5: Create a Trusted Zone
    If you have two or more computers connecting to the Internet through a router, you can create a Trusted Zone. Click Firewall in the ZoneAlarm Control Center, then click the Zones tab. Click the Add button and enter your other computers' local IP addresses. You can set Trusted Zone security to let your computers share files and disk space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)