Peruzzi back to the NT (1 Viewer)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Peruzzi to net Azzurri recall

Friday 26 August, 2005

Channel4.com wrote:

Lazio ‘keeper Angelo Peruzzi is being tipped for inclusion in Italy’s squad for the September World Cup qualifiers.

Boss Marcello Lippi will announce his 23-man party on Sunday, with the veteran likely to be a part of his plans for the games against Scotland and Belarus.

The Azzurri are currently in the midst of a goalkeeping dilemma, after Juventus No 1 Gigi Buffon was ruled out until November.

Monaco shot-stopper Flavio Roma took the gloves for the 2-1 friendly win against the Republic of Ireland earlier this month, but he is currently struggling with injury.

Now whispers in the peninsula suggest that the 34-year-old will get the call alongside Morgan De Sanctis of Udinese.

Lippi knows Peruzzi well after the two won three Scudetti, a Champions League, the Intercontinental Cup and the European Super Cup at Juventus in the 1990s.

There should be few surprises elsewhere in Lippi’s call-ups, with Juve ace Alex Del Piero set to be picked instead of Roma’s Antonio Cassano.

The Azzurri squad will meet up on Monday evening in Florence, before flying out to Scotland on Friday.

They will then remain in Glasgow until they leave for Minsk on Tuesday – 24 hours before they meet Belarus.

Buy on AliExpress.com

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
great i would like to se peruzzi back with the blue shirt... altough there are better gk then him atm and i think abbiati can prove himself to be recaled in the nt

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Azzurri: Peruzzi makes Scotch trip
Sunday 28 August, 2005

Marcello Lippi has named the squad to face Belarus and Scotland in the World Cup qualifiers, with Angelo Peruzzi but no Antonio Cassano.

Francesco Totti returns to the squad after dropping out of the friendly against the Republic of Ireland with flu symptoms, while Angelo Peruzzi is – as expected – given a recall to the Azzurri following his fine displays for Lazio.

Luca Toni is now a firm member of the international squad and was on target in his Serie A debut for Fiorentina this weekend, but last year’s Capocannoniere Cristiano Lucarelli has not made the grade.

Italy will face Scotland at Hampden Park on Saturday September 3 (5.30pm kick-off) and Belarus in Minsk on Wednesday September 7 (6pm UK time).

“I am satisfied with the work we’ve done so far, even if we’re only half way there,” noted Lippi this morning.

“We have laid the foundations for a World Cup side, especially on a psychological level. My objective was to find players who could act as back-up and with those men I can now choose from a group of 30-35 options. I will then choose 23 to go to Germany.”

The recent friendly experiments found some intriguing alternatives to the top stars, such as Palermo’s Simone Barone, Udinese duo David Di Michele and Vincenzo Iaquinta, not to mention Serie A Capocannoniere Cristiano Lucarelli of Livorno.

“I like to think we have good quality players who can still improve,” added the Coach. “I now expect to have my faith in certain stars confirmed, especially when it comes to Cassano. I hope he can find the best atmosphere to express all his talent.”

The Roma rebel is at the centre of a contract dispute with his club and has been threatened with a season on the sidelines if he doesn’t pen a new deal, sparking reports he is to join Juventus just before the transfer window closes.

Another Azzurri player struggling with a tricky club situation is Alessandro Del Piero, who has been repeatedly left on the bench by Fabio Capello.

“Del Piero is primarily an attacking player, though he can take on other roles and has done in recent months. In any case, he proved last year that regardless of the substitutions he still scores plenty of goals and takes centre stage.”

Italy squad for World Cup qualifiers against Scotland and Belarus:

Gk: De Sanctis (Udinese), Peruzzi (Lazio);

D: Barzagli (Palermo), Cannavaro (Juventus), Grosso (Palermo), Materazzi (Inter), Nesta (Milan), Zaccardo (Palermo), Zambrotta (Juventus);

M: Barone (Palermo), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Esposito (Cagliari), Gattuso (Milan), Mesto (Reggina), Pirlo (Milan);

F: Totti (Roma), Del Piero (Juventus), Gilardino (Milan), Iaquinta (Udinese), Toni (Fiorentina), Vieri (Milan).

Football Italia

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
I think perruzi days are over , he should not be called to NT , Desantes forexample is better , Roma who is monaco keeper is better also.

Sonjia_DP

Sep 17, 2005
That is sad :sad:

A few years back, the depth of the GK position for Azzurri was the greatest in the world, we have Buffon, Toldo, Abbiati, Pelizzoli to choose. But all of the sudden, we need to recall Peruzzi. I am not saying Peruzzi is not good, I am just wondering why the things change so fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)