Paulo Dybala (152 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Are we supposed to believe this is not what Dybala wants? Sarri literally said last season he had to convince him for months to stay in the box. Every coach can't be that stupid to just tell him to do stuff that hurts him and the team.
Yes, he could stay in the box all match and wait for Khedira, Berna and Matuidi to bring him the ball. And when that doesn't work, what should he have done? Of course he's going to move in and out and try to get more touches.

Ideally, you want him to just stand in and around the box.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
what do you mean Dybala has Messi in front of him, Dybala should be a CF.
He should be, but he isn't. Maybe the coach for Argentina doesn't see it that way, and prefers to start Aguero and Lautaro instead. Herein lies the problem. The issue is Argentina barely scrape by, sometimes winning games 1-0 on a penalty or a Messi moment. There is no reason for them not to try and play Dybala.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
He should be, but he isn't. Maybe the coach for Argentina doesn't see it that way, and prefers to start Aguero and Lautaro instead. Herein lies the problem. The issue is Argentina barely scrape by, sometimes winning games 1-0 on a penalty or a Messi moment. There is no reason for them not to try and play Dybala.
Argentina has had like four different managers since Dybalas been at Juve. So are they all dumb, or did they have the same issues that every Juve manager has had with him?

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Yes, he could stay in the box all match and wait for Khedira, Berna and Matuidi to bring him the ball. And when that doesn't work, what should he have done? Of course he's going to move in and out and try to get more touches.

Ideally, you want him to just stand in and around the box.
We've seen it every season now, can't be that nobody knows how to use him ffs, all I'm saying.

- - - Updated - - -

After that Paulo ended with 11 goals+11 assists in serie A but I guess you rather forget that part... and CR7 being the best and Paulo second best, still doesn't do anything for your previous statement about "hurting the team"
No I did not forget about that, I literally said that recent run of form won him that foolish award.

You're literally repeating what I say about his inconsistency, but try to spin it as a positive for him. When he plays badly it's injuries, coaches, bad teammates etc., but when he plays well it's all him proving everyone wrong.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
We've seen it every season now, can't be that nobody knows how to use him ffs, all I'm saying.
He is very difficult to use. His best skill is finishing. But he's not a big #9 and he's not a great target.

If you want to amplify Dybala the most, you would play him as a #9 or with a big striker that dumps balls to him.

But if you want the best TEAM, it's tough to fit Dybala. It's been like this his whole career. You could play a 2 striker formation that is designed for him to find the most space and then defensively, you are defending with only 9 players instead of 10. So in the aggregate, maybe you're actually worse?

Is this a criticism of Dybala as a player or a criticism of his archetype? If he came up in the early 2000s, he would be much better off probably.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Argentina has had like four different managers since Dybalas been at Juve. So are they all dumb, or did they have the same issues that every Juve manager has had with him?
Dybala was performing well for us under Allegri, until his last season here that is. With Sarri he was a focal point and doing well in a team that was dysfunctional and lacking harmony with the coach. We're barely three months into Pirlo's tenure, so I'll reserve judgement.

Why have had Argentina had so many different managers? Ask yourself that. Maybe the team is shit, or the coaches were trash - I don't know :boh:

What I do know is that Argentina have been anything but convincing, and they could probably use Dybala more effectively.

Prototype

Oct 22, 2009
Baggio was 31 when WC 98 came around - Del Piero was barely 24. Dybala has Messi ahead of him. Del Piero had Totti, who is an inferior player in the eyes of many, starting ahead of him.
Del Piero had ankle injury during CL final against Real Madrid, he was doubtful for WC. He was given number 10, instead R. Baggio. Supposed to be starter, but was not fit

Strickland

May 17, 2019
He is very difficult to use. His best skill is finishing. But he's not a big #9 and he's not a great target.

If you want to amplify Dybala the most, you would play him as a #9 or with a big striker that dumps balls to him.

But if you want the best TEAM, it's tough to fit Dybala. It's been like this his whole career. You could play a 2 striker formation that is designed for him to find the most space and then defensively, you are defending with only 9 players instead of 10. So in the aggregate, maybe you're actually worse?

Is this a criticism of Dybala as a player or a criticism of his archetype? If he came up in the early 2000s, he would be much better off probably.
Put Chiesa/Kulu next to Ronaldo/Dybala/Morata imo

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Dybala needs to be used as Aguero, simple as that. Sarri recognized this yet it still took 3/4ths of the season to register with Dybala. Let’s see how long it takes this season. With Morata around it may not equal more playing time, which knowing Dybalas attitude, will probably end up being another issue.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Put Chiesa/Kulu next to Ronaldo/Dybala/Morata imo
Our best match of the year was with Ramsey and Kulu behind Ronaldo. That's just the way football is nowadays. You can only have one player that doesn't run (and even that is debatable). And he has to score.

The rest of the team has to run and create chances.

We could not recover a single ball against Barca, because we didn't have enough players that could run and recover balls, simple as that. Basic math.

So where does Dybala fit in this style of football? The answer is tough to find.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
There's been so many circular arguments in this thread for the past few pages.

1. Dybala does not start for Argentina because he plays the same role as Messi. This is irrelevant in the context of Juventus because:

a) we don't have Messi here
b) not being as good as Messi is not an insult to a footballer

2. Dybala drops deep because no one in our team can create any chances. He did not drop deep as often in his first season because he played with prime Pogba. If you play with Khedira, Matuidi and Berna then you have to drop deep if you want to receive the ball.

The same people who criticize Dybala for dropping deep are the same people who would bash him for "disappearing" if he just stayed up top all match.

3. No one is denying the fact that Dybala is currently in bad form, or that Morata and Ronaldo are playing much better, or that he deserved to get subbed today. All we are saying is that the "he was never great" or "we should sell him" reactionary comments are moronic.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
You're back to the old wagon, let's see if Paulo turns up current shitty situation and you jump that wagon again like last season
Not really. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last season. For someone that wants 12-15m for a new contract certainly doesn’t deserve it right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 19, Guests: 110)