Paulo Dybala (88 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Strickland

May 17, 2019
We’re getting caught up in semantics here. When I think of 10, I think of Del Piero and Baggio.
yeah, but he's not as good as DP and Baggio in the middle of the pitch dribbling people, drawing fouls and participating in the buildup, those guys could play treq just as well as SS, Dybala is more of a classic forward like David Villa, who was good as SS, good as false 9, but never played in midfield.

IMO a front 3 of Ronaldo-Dybala-Costa could work and result in lots of goals for Ronaldo and Paolo.

Last edited:

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
A second striker is like a #9.5, not fully a #10.

A #10 would be like Ozil who can actually play in midfield and pass the ball to goal scorers. A #10 looks to pass first while Dybala looks to score 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

A second striker is basically a #9 who is small. So he needs a big striker to bring the ball down for him and he can shoot it in the net. He can make the odd assist to the big man.

I can accept Dybala as a second striker, the problem is this position barely exists nowadays. It's either #9 or #10. When he played with Higuain, he was a second striker. However, the two had absolutely no compatibility because Higuain was better with the ball in build-up than Dybala somehow. But Higuain is not big enough to knock down balls for Dybala. So basically we were using two #9s.

If you ask where he played before Juventus the answer is clearly as a #9.

Dybala now looks like he has lost all of his speed that was crucial in many of the goals from the vid. He's like a sloth compared to his younger self.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Dybala now looks like he has lost all of his speed that was crucial in many of the goals from the vid. He's like a sloth compared to his younger self.
My initial reaction is to agree. I think he has slowed down. But then you have to think about how limited his energy is naturally, it seems. And the difference it takes to play on the last man exclusively and save your energy versus playing in midfield or the wing all match.

His acceleration is still pretty good.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
This couldn’t be further from the truth, Dybala is anything but a #10.
I can agree he's no #10, way too limited, no right foot, has great passing abilities but doesn't have that instinct of setting up a sexy pass kinda like BernaGuti, BernaGuti is WAY more of a #10 then he is

Also he's absolutely nothing like Raul either, Raul is a COMPLETE striker, a SUPREME striker. Man can play almost anywhere in the attacking line, has incredible intelligence. Seeing Raul and Del Piero in a partnership has always been a wet dream of mine.

Dybala should only hope to have as much skill as Raul's left big toe.
Comparing Dybala to Raul is like comparing fucking Batsuashy to Eto'o. or comparing fucking Shick to Van Nistelrooy

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
If a guy is about to turn 26, and we still don't know his position... not a very good sign.

I agree his style is suited for outdated formations, typical of the 90s, as a centralized second striker. But now football is all about width.

Nothing comes close to how he played with Mandzukic in a 352. He's kind of the Bonucci of strikers, only suitable for this very peculiar position and formation.

Actually, a 352 with Cancelo-Sandro as wingers, box-to-box CMs Rabiot and Ramsey and a partnership between Dybala and Ronaldo upfront would look pretty damn good.

Having said that, I still have some hope he recovers. But if Higuain stays or a CF is brought, it's going to be tough.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
A second striker is like a #9.5, not fully a #10.

A #10 would be like Ozil who can actually play in midfield and pass the ball to goal scorers. A #10 looks to pass first while Dybala looks to score 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

A second striker is basically a #9 who is small. So he needs a big striker to bring the ball down for him and he can shoot it in the net. He can make the odd assist to the big man.

I can accept Dybala as a second striker, the problem is this position barely exists nowadays. It's either #9 or #10. When he played with Higuain, he was a second striker. However, the two had absolutely no compatibility because Higuain was better with the ball in build-up than Dybala somehow. But Higuain is not big enough to knock down balls for Dybala. So basically we were using two #9s.

If you ask where he played before Juventus the answer is clearly as a #9.

Govinco Ver 2.0 :ratcafe:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Like some already said, dybalas last hope is to perform as a false 9, i dont see him succeeding outside of it.

Players like del piero could play as treq or wingEr because they had exquisite skills like first touch, great passing range and an innate talent to find ways to solve problems.

Dybala lacks all of it, but he has some skills to find ways to shoot near the keeper area, and he has a great left.

We can give him a chance there to see how he fares.

We will lack in headers, but fuck crosses... i got deadtired of seeing crossventus for a whole season last year.... And ronaldo can head balls better than anyone anyways,

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Like some already said, dybalas last hope is to perform as a false 9, i dont see him succeeding outside of it.

Players like del piero could play as treq or wingEr because they had exquisite skills like first touch, great passing range and an innate talent to find ways to solve problems.

Dybala lacks all of it, but he has some skills to find ways to shoot near the keeper area, and he has a great left.

We can give him a chance there to see how he fares.

We will lack in headers, but fuck crosses... i got deadtired of seeing crossventus for a whole season last year.... And ronaldo can head balls better than anyone anyways,[/QUOTE

Del Piero hardly ever played as a winger or playmaker. He always played as a support striker with 2 up front.... Only in the first year when we had Vialli did he play on the wing but never since.

The fact is in the Del Piero era Juve always had 2 up front. Dybala played his best football playing up front with Mandzukic in a front 2.

Dybala is very similar to Del Piero in characteristics. The problem is very few teams these days use players like that into their modern systems. 433 and 4231 are much more popular than front 2s.

The good news is ... If Dybala stays its because Sarri wants him to stay because he is the player who on a sale with the biggest economic advantage in a sale. Which means sarri thinks he knows how to get the best out of him if that is the case.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
United make Dybala call?

By Football Italia staff

Manchester United have reportedly opened talks with a view to a potential deal for Juventus forward Paulo Dybala.

United have long been linked with Dybala, but Gazzetta dello Sport's Nicolo Schira claims the first contacts have only just taken place.

However, Schira warns Juve are demanding 'at least €80m' for the Argentine, who in turn would prefer to stay put.

The 25-year-old has so far shown no signs of wanting to leave, but a big-enough offer could tempt the Old Lady into cashing in, especially if Paul Pogba forms part of negotiations.

The Red Devils, for their part, have until August 8 to wrap up a marquee signing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 65)