Paulo Dybala (253 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
He was SS behind Higauin, Mandzukic was left winger, who basically spent half the time hustling back, he never took Dybalas space or pushed him out to midfield as he is this season as our main CF. And again, MASSIVE difference between playing behind only Higauin (again, Mandzu was a conservative defensive left winger), to now having Mandzu in box and Ronaldo who is not a left winger but basically an all attack weapon who has freedom to go in out of the box as the team premier attacker. He has been pushed to midfield exactly because of this significant change in how we set up our attack, so how is this the same role as the SS role of last season?

Its not a coincidence he went from 32 goals last season to just 10 goals this season, clearly not the same role or approach.

And yeah Dybala isnt a good midfielder, you know why? Because he isnt a midfielder...
So we played like this:

---------------Higuain
---------------------------Dybala
Mandžukić------------------------------no one

?

It makes no sense. How is Bernardeschi in positions to take shots all the time?

He's not a midfielder, stop with that. He plays deeper than his first season and needs to move more and run and sacrifice more. But no one is saying he should still be scoring tons of goals. The criticism is he's offering nothing else, he's pouting, falling down, zero effort. That's on him.

If he was truly THAT good as people make him to be, he would be able to make a stamp on the game in other ways. Some of the best games he had were when he scored no goals but made tons of runs, dribblings, switching the play, orchestrating everything in the final third. He has the talent and has the ability to be so much more than just around the box player. He doesn't want to.

And he doesn't respond well to adversity. Last year he had that amazing start, Barcelona game came, media immediately made comparisons with Messi again because he was scoring so much. He had a horrible game, could barely get his shots to the GK and never went back rest of the year. Now Ronaldo comes and instead of using that as drive to prove himself he does the opposite.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
See, I don't buy that. Allegri was his coach from the beginning, it's not like he came here this season.

Allegri was good enough for Dybala to develop and become this great player in the eyes of many, but now all of a sudden he's stopping him from something?
People just want to scapegoat Allegri for everything. Nothing else to see here really.

It’s quite amusing how many people give Dybala and others a total pass for the shit performances and appalling attitudes they displayed on the pitch this season.

Allegri had a poor season in many ways imo, but that doesn’t excuse Dybala or Costa (or even Mandzukic after Christmas) for performing like rubbish.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
People just want to scapegoat Allegri for everything. Nothing else to see here really.

It’s quite amusing how many people give Dybala and others a total pass for the shit performances and appalling attitudes they displayed on the pitch this season.

Allegri had a poor season in many ways imo, but that doesn’t excuse Dybala or Costa (or even Mandzukic after Christmas) for performing like rubbish.
Dybi is a #9

Let's judge him once he gets to play there. Marotta fucked up multiple mercatos and Max had to shoehorn him into CAM or some shit

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Dybi is a #9

Let's judge him once he gets to play there. Marotta fucked up multiple mercatos and Max had to shoehorn him into CAM or some shit
Nah. IMO isn’t. He’s an old-fashioned SS.

I don’t believe he has the pace, touch, or athleticism to be a modern #9, especially at a CL contending side.

To be fair to him, our shit midfield helped wreck his season entirely. No one can bring the ball forward out of midfield, so Dybala ends up almost entirely responsible for it, which is nonsense. The only thing with Dybala that annoys me is his attitude.

However, I’d still like him to stay, and get back to being the fantastic player we all know he is, playing in a partnership up front.

Jul 13, 2010
Dybi is a #9

so if you are not in your ideal, one and only position you are not just 'not at your max potential' but ultimately suck miserably? 'Life is a matter of black and white, there is nothing in the middle'

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Dybala is a good player but to me he lacks something mentally. He seems to under-deliver in too many big games and is not very consistent in general.

Talk of a swap with Salah? I would be all for that to be honest.

Dybala is the kind of player who performs best when given a very specific role - such as a support striker in a front 2. He played his best games playing off Mandzukic in a front 2. I get the feeling he plays well in that kind of situation. He didn't seem to do as well as often when partnered with Higuain even in a front 2.

That game against Barcelona in 2017 I thought was the sign he came to the big leagues but he never lived up to that ever again.

I don't think he is suited to a front 3 with Ronaldo either. Salah on the other hand is much more versatile and has shown he regularly shows up for big games.

I still have a soft spot for Dybala but I think he is one of those players who needs to go as he is has flopped too often on the big stage and Juve simply don't have time to keep waiting for him.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Nah. IMO isn’t. He’s an old-fashioned SS.

I don’t believe he has the pace, touch, or athleticism to be a modern #9, especially at a CL contending side.

To be fair to him, our shit midfield helped wreck his season entirely. No one can bring the ball forward out of midfield, so Dybala ends up almost entirely responsible for it, which is nonsense. The only thing with Dybala that annoys me is his attitude.

However, I’d still like him to stay, and get back to being the fantastic player we all know he is, playing in a partnership up front.

This is litterally all we are saying in a nutshell, his attitude has been in part shit, and he had problem adjusting to adversity even we he was killing for us regurarly (his CL performances were mediocre in tough games except for a couple), but despite the poor quitter body language or attitude, we cannot blame him for most of it simply because he is so severely played out of position and is indirectly victim of and blamed for the severe flaws of the midfield or Allegri's weird tactics.

Play him in a natural role and dont overtask him with the midfield duties, get players who do that instead. It shouldnt be complicated.

But I dont think it will work out enough aslong as Allegri is coach, this midfield remains, and he insists on Mandzukic starting and keeps misusing Dybala just to try to balance this shitfest of a set up currently.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
This is litterally all we are saying in a nutshell, his attitude has been in part shit, and he had problem adjusting to adversity even we he was killing for us regurarly (his CL performances were mediocre in tough games except for a couple), but despite the poor quitter body language or attitude, we cannot blame him for most of it simply because he is so severely played out of position and is indirectly victim of and blamed for the severe flaws of the midfield or Allegri's weird tactics.

Play him in a natural role and dont overtask him with the midfield duties, get players who do that instead. It shouldnt be complicated.

But I dont think it will work out enough aslong as Allegri is coach, this midfield remains, and he insists on Mandzukic starting and keeps misusing Dybala just to try to balance this shitfest of a set up currently.
:tup:

Fix the midfield, properly this time, and I think Allegri and Dybala can coexist just fine. They did for the better part of 3 years, so I choose to believe they can again, with the right team make-up.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Dybala is a good player but to me he lacks something mentally. He seems to under-deliver in too many big games and is not very consistent in general.

Talk of a swap with Salah? I would be all for that to be honest...

...Salah on the other hand is much more versatile and has shown he regularly shows up for big games.
What's his big game record this season? It's terrible afaik. And he's not more versatile than Dybala at all.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Funny how some people are willing to give Allegri the benefit of the doubt after two years of playing shit football but they won't do the same for Dybala despite having only one bad season under his belt.
Different situation. The issue with dybala isnt one of ability but whether or not he can be properly utilized in our team and effective enough to reject potential massive offers

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I might have dreamt it or maybe hallucinated but I thought I read someone post yesterday that Dybala was our player of the season last season.

Just...lol. Maybe if the season was from August until September.

Unfortunately this decline is 12-15 months long, with the occasional bit of quality. That's not what you expect from a top player, and it's a sign of mental fragility.

I'm not a fan of looking at stats but it is quite startling when you see where his goals came. The only big teams he scored against - if you can call them big teams - for part of his 20+ goals were Milan and Lazio, and in the CL there was one goal against Spurs. This year he has one against Man Utd and Milan, in a barren season. This is a player who shines against smaller teams, but that has declined with his drop in the pecking order and questionable role.

I just don't think we're ever going to see the player we hoped for, regardless of where he plays. It's a stick-or-twist situation. Do we give him another season, how long do you persevere? Yeah, probably another season. Blame Allegri all you want but Dybala is responsible for Dybala, at Juve you roll your sleeves up.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I might have dreamt it or maybe hallucinated but I thought I read someone post yesterday that Dybala was our player of the season last season.

Just...lol. Maybe if the season was from August until September.

Unfortunately this decline is 12-15 months long, with the occasional bit of quality. That's not what you expect from a top player, and it's a sign of mental fragility.

I'm not a fan of looking at stats but it is quite startling when you see where his goals came. The only big teams he scored against - if you can call them big teams - for part of his 20+ goals were Milan and Lazio, and in the CL there was one goal against Spurs. This year he has one against Man Utd and Milan, in a barren season. This is a player who shines against smaller teams, but that has declined with his drop in the pecking order and questionable role.

I just don't think we're ever going to see the player we hoped for, regardless of where he plays. It's a stick-or-twist situation. Do we give him another season, how long do you persevere? Yeah, probably another season. Blame Allegri all you want but Dybala is responsible for Dybala, at Juve you roll your sleeves up.
He came up huge against Lazio and Spurs, and was overall pretty consistent compared to the other players. This season the criticisms are valid obviously, but is there really a player that was more valuable than Dybala last season? The answer is simple. None.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Funny how some people are willing to give Allegri the benefit of the doubt after two years of playing shit football but they won't do the same for Dybala despite having only one bad season under his belt.
Bitch please. I give them both the benefit of the doubt for being fantastic here for multiple seasons. And so do the vast majority of Tuzzers with regards to Dybala.

And lol at you crying “hypocrisy” since you’re one of the whiny #AllegriOut crowd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 242)