Patrick Vieira (2 Viewers)

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

exactly, people are quick to denounce emerson. even though in the beggining i was expecting the opposite to happen (viera defend more while emerson aided the attack) even this configuration works perfectly.
I also expected this, I knew we would have a great midfield but I didn't know Vieira would advance forward so much. But watching him in action I realize why he is the one to go forward more. Not technique or skills but his runS and mobility. Vieira is everywhere on the pitch and he is still fit enough to make dashing forwards runs and return quickly on defence.

Buy on AliExpress.com

nielsen

Aug 14, 2005
vieira is a world class player who despite being almost always victimised by the ref, deserved much respect!!
he's the king right now at juve!!
continue like that patrick!!!
forza patrick!!

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Dramatic impact. No, it is not a new action movie, but Patrick Vieira's effect on Juventus FC since joining his new team-mates in July.

Midfield key
Having ended a nine-season stay at Arsenal FC with the penalty that won the FA Cup against Manchester United FC, Vieira has quickly established himself as the key to Juve's midfield. The speed of his integration has surprised many. Brazilian international Emerson has even been pushed into a deeper, more defensive role to accommodate the Frenchman. "We've got the toughest couple of midfielders in the world," smiles coach Fabio Capello

'Understanding'
"Playing alongside Patrick is fantastic," says Emerson. "We work very well together, we had an understanding right from the start. Some people thought we would be treading on each other's toes, but that's not the case: Patrick is playing further up and the boss has me playing in front of the defence."

'Even better'
Vieira is enjoying the experience. "I agree with Capello, there aren't many like us. Few teams have such accomplished, solid central midfielders as me and Emy. We'll get even better too. All that hard work in training will fine-tune the balance, Capello will see to that."

New lease of life
So while Arsenal struggle for a replacement for the man that shone in the brave rearguard that won the FA Cup in May, Vieira is enjoying a new lease of life in Turin. Particularly in his new attacking role from which Vieira has already scored three times in five Serie A matches. He will be looking to help his side to a sixth successive league victory against FC Internazionale Milano on Sunday.

Capello ambitions
The Juventus board has not held back in their support of their coach's ambitions. Last year Emerson cost some €28m from AS Roma, and Vieira cost €20m. In return Capello won the Scudetto in his first season in charge and now, after a flying start in the league, Juve have launched themselves in pursuit of the holy grail - the UEFA Champions League. Vieira also has an extra incentive: the final is at the Stade de France, scene of a previous memorable triumph.

'Obsession'
"It's obvious the Champions League is an obsession for Juve," says Vieira. "Everyone is desperate to lift the trophy. I never won the Champions League with Arsenal. It would have meant so much to win it, the most important club competition in Europe and perhaps the world.

'Concentrate'
"The thought of playing in Paris, where I won the World Cup with France in 1998 is a mouth-watering prospect. But to get there will take a lot of hard work and sacrifice. It's a fatal mistake to get carried away with dreams - we have to concentrate on the present, on reality."

'Predictable Chelsea'
Vieira missed Tuesday’s 3-0 victory against SK Rapid Wien through suspension, but after surveying the field, he believes the team to fear most is FC Barcelona. "I know Chelsea FC really well and it's true they are a more complete team than Barcelona, but they are also more predictable. Even if Barça are vulnerable at the back, they have great strikers and attacking midfielders. It's enough to make any defender tremble. Chelsea's attack is not as strong or creative."

‘Classic finisher’
Of Juve's five-star attack Vieira says: "There is a lot of competition between [David] Trezeguet, [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic, [Alessandro] Del Piero, [Adrian] Mutu and [Marcelo] Zalayeta. I know Trezeguet very well from the French squad. He's a classic finisher. He strikes like a cobra from 20 metres out and further. Give him a good ball and there it is, goal, end of story.

'Fantastic'
"Before I came to Juve I knew Ibrahimovic was a real talent, but I never imagined he could be so good with the ball at his feet. The best technical strikers are usually not the tallest, they have a lower centre of gravity. Zlatan is really tall but he still has the skill and movement of a nippy, smaller player. He's fantastic, one of the best young players in the world in my opinion."

Capello reunion
Vieira has played in Italy before, though with considerably less fanfare. After starting his professional career at AS Cannes, he had a short stay at AC Milan during the 1995/96 season before Arsenal came calling. His coach at Milan ten years ago was a certain Capello. "I'm back working with him because he believed in me," concludes Vieira.

'Too young'
“I was too young back then and Milan was a team in a real hurry. There were two legendary players ahead of me, [Frank] Rijkaard and [Demetrio] Albertini. It wasn't easy. I felt uncomfortable and that's why I asked to leave." After such a successful return to Italy, it’s hard to imagine him leaving again.

UEFA Magazine

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by lestat_1987 ] ++
Chxta thakls for an amazing post
:embarass:

:devil: I also posted this on the Arsenal forum at extratime. Was promptly declared persona non grata there! :cheesy:

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Vieira is soon becoming a really influential figure on the team. And although I'm happy with his progress, I'd like to see the rest of the midfield keep up, so we dont hurt when he's unavailable.

lestat_1987

Aug 31, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Chxta ] ++

:embarass:

:devil: I also posted this on the Arsenal forum at extratime. Was promptly declared persona non grata there! :cheesy:
hahaha,man you gotta be kidding me...want to be killed by a hooligan?:p

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
++ [ originally posted by 674083912 ] ++
Im really glad we got him. He hasnt failed to impress so far
Paddys got his hunger for the game back, He'd won everything domestically in EPL. Good news for us! Especially that he really wants C.L. I'll crazy if we claim that trophy.:D

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
he is sensational. where did he find this scoring touch?
but even when hes on the ball, already he looks so calm and confident.

juve will be hard to stop.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
I was poor, admits Vieira Monday 10 October, 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick Vieira says his performance against Switzerland was "very, very average" and is determined to redeem himself against Cyprus on Wednesday.

The Juventus midfielder struggled to get into the match on Saturday, squandering possession on numerous occasions as Les Bleus limped to a 1-1 draw in Berne.

"Considering how important the game was, my performance was very, very average," Vieira admitted. "In the first half I wasn’t good at all. In the second half I was average.

"Luckily for me I have the chance to redeem myself on Wednesday," he added.

Vieira, Zinedine Zidane and Lilian Thuram have all been struggling with groin problems in the past week, but the former Arsenal skipper was reluctant to use the injury as an excuse.

"A lot of incorrect information has been circulating," he explained. "If I'm out on the pitch it means I am ready to play.

"It’s not a confidence problem either. I have belief in myself, particularly as everything has gone so well so far with Juventus.

"So I am strong in my head, it’s my legs that aren’t following.

"It’s fair to say that Lilian, Zizou and myself missed a lot of training sessions last week, but we can’t use that as an excuse. I take full responsibility for the imperfections and the insufficiencies in my game."

France must now beat Cyprus by a hatful of goals to be sure of finishing top of Group 4.

"I think our chances are 50-50," Vieira said. "It’s not impossible that Switzerland will win in Ireland.

"That said we are happy that Ireland beat Cyprus on Saturday because it means they’ll be extremely motivated on Wednesday."

source: channel4.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)