over-rated players? (2 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Ronaldo scorer of over 50 goals for his country, winner of wc and scored 8 goals in 1 tournament, leading goal scorer in La liga, extremely high goal to match ratio in serieA but somehow he is overrated

Beckham, best crosser of the ball by a mile in world football, adapted so easily to Real Madrid scoring and creating assists left right and centre when everyone thought and most hoping he would fall flat on his face and one of the best free kick takers in world football ---overrated

Rooney youngest goal scorer in England's history, at 17 makes the game look so easy even in international level but he is overrated

Dp tired of talking about it

Trezeguet is not overated infact he is ridiculed most of the time
Figo okay is on the wane but at his best very little can touch him but he is overrated
Raul the most underated footballer of his generation is somehow overated
How Henry can be labelled the best in the world because he is quick and scores goals in a league where defending does not exist and thats not being overrated is beyond me

What of players like Cassano , Maresca and Miccolli , are they really better than Oen and Rooney but somehow they are not overrated and what have they contributed to world football or international football exactly but on here they are world beaters

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Too many overrated players to name them all...

You've got players like Cris Ronaldo, Juan Veron and Wayne Rooney who are overrated big time, and then players that have actually been successful and are very good players but are slightly overrated nevertheless such as Raul, ADP and Owen.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
@denco: Don't get me wrong, I think that Raul, Del Piero and Owen are fantastic players, and when they're on form few defenders can stop them, but my opinion is that people expect too much from them. They think that it's possible to put in a world class performance in every single game, but the reality is that these players are only human.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Votes so far: (including mine)
David Beckham 10
Rooney 8
Ronaldo(buck tooth) 6
figo 5
Del Piero 6
C.Ronaldo 4
Rio Ferdinand 4
Owen 3
Veron 4
klose 2
Raul 2
Adu 2

castillo
Kluivert
Keane (Roy)
Barthez
Inzaghi(s)
Joaquin
Rui Costa
Lampard
rivaldo
G.Neville
Ballack
O.Kahn
Hong Myung Bo
Lucio
F. Inzaghi
Trezeguet
RVN
Queresma
Mutu
Duff
Henrik Larsson
Cassano
Maresca
Miccolli

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I'd like to make a few defenses of my own.

Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) is a fantastic player. Sure, he's won awards on the back of past acheivements, but some of the very people who defend Del Piero on the basis of his injuries seem to forget that Ronaldo has suffered injuries that might have ended the career of a lesser player. He's a star for Madrid and a star for Brazil, and even though we'll never know where his potential might have taken him, he's still a world class striker who deserves credit.

Figo is getting on a bit, but he's a great player. He was well worth the money Madrid paid for him, because he was Barca's greatest player, and he's amoung Portugal's finest ever players. It's rare to see a winger who can influence a game like he can.

C.Ronaldo is an 18-year-old kid who has truely amazing technique. He's a Man Utd squad player though, FFS. Give him a break.

Rio Ferdinand is one of the most consistantly underacheiving defenders I've ever seen. Naturally gifted defenders are rare in England, so I hate to see him waste his talent. He could be a legend for club and country, but instead he's arsing around moaning about a drugs ban.

Owen is a limited player, in that he's over-dependant on his pace, but his scoring rate when he's not injured is phenominal. He might not be the greatest striker on earth, but he's not deserving of the over-rated tag.

Raul is Spain's highest ever international goalscorer. Still in his mid-twenties, he's in the top five Liga scorers of all time, and he broke records for the youth teams he was in too. He's maintained a goals to game ratio of 1:2 over his whole career, even in the CL. He's a great player, and if anything, he's totally underrated outside Spain.

Adu is 14 years old. Give me a ****ing break.

Roy Keane was for years Man Utd's and Ireland's best player, and while he is fading badly now, he's a great player. I've never had the oppertunity to watch a player who could dominate central midfield so single-handedly. With him as the star player, Ireland knocked the Dutch out of the WC qualifiers, winning 1-0 a man down.

Lampard is a fantastic player, who's just emerging.

Ballack is Germany's best player, and led them to the WC final, and Leverkusen to the CL Final. He's a superb player.

O.Kahn was the world's best keeper for a time.

Ruud van Nistelrooy has possibly the single highest scoring rate in the CL ever, and he's overrated? We're talking about a guy who 2 1/2 years into his Man Utd career has over 100 goals for them, and who's broken club goalscoring records. How do you overrate him?

Who overrates Mutu? He's been excellent for Chelsea, and is seen as one of their best performers, but no one's called for him to be World Player of the Year or anything.

Duff has been amazing for club and country for over 2 years now. He's the best left winger in the EPL, imho, even allowing for Kewell (who still hasn't matured into the player he threatens to be) and Giggs, who isn't quite the player he was.

Henrik Larsson is a consistant, determined player who stars for a mediocre club side, and a smallish country. No one's overrating him.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Loppan ] ++
Henrik Larsson (by the swedes)
I disagree. Larsson has always played well for the national team. He has proved that he is capable of playing against big teams during the World cup and in the champions league.
My experience is that swedes look at Henrik as a really good player but not a real superstar as Zidane.

Loppan

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++

I disagree. Larsson has always played well for the national team. He has proved that he is capable of playing against big teams during the World cup and in the champions league.
My experience is that swedes look at Henrik as a really good player but not a real superstar as Zidane.
Yes, he always played well in the national team. But when swedes talk about him it's like he's one of the top players in the world and he isn't.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
Do you mean the press or just "normal" swedes?

In anycase I think they don't overrate him. The press often say that his performances in the national team is great but that Celtic plays in such a crap league that we don't know how good he really is.
Normal swedes might overrate him a bit with all these "Henke snälla" campaigns.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
In serie A I mention 2:

Del Piero.
I know critics and media stopped pusching him but they did it so mutch in the past that there are really fans who belive he is in the bests player of the world and that every year expect him to win the golden ball.

Cannavaro.
Nobody mentioned him but I think he is overrated, he is the NT capitain and here in Italy is considered the best defender togeder with Nesta. I really don't understand why... he is slow, faulty and do not build the action but if you look at him as soon as he will get a ball he just trow it wheare it comes. IMO he is an other planet from Nesta and I think that there are others better defenders around...

Than of course there are so many players who have been overrated by media after few good games and after a while disapeared... and others who came from an other league with such a media support and than didn't do anything here like Rivaldo.

Some defenses also from me: Rivaldo in Milan sucked but he was a really good player, in last WC IMO he have been the best player at all, better than Ronaldo. Ronaldo also is not overrated, maybe now he is not the same of few years ago but when he was in Italy and before the injuries he was truly unstoppable. Beckham is overrated meaning that he get first page also if he change hairstyle and that's too mutch 4 a soccer player anycase. But as a player nothing to do, he is really good.
Young players are not too mention cause is normal 4 them to have up and downs...

Nedved11

Aug 12, 2003
Beckham is overrated? You guys are on crack.

Ronaldo is overrated? Please pass over whatever drugs you're taking because they seem to be working really well. The leading scorer of Liga is now considered overrated?!? He should be ashamed of himself for leading Liga in scoring, I mean how could he do such a thing. :rolleyes: You guys are really biased.

Have you guys even seen Figo play? He controls the game for Madrid. and if he's not doing it, Zidane and Beckham are doing it. Beckham has set up almost every goal for Real Madrid.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I think lots of people are missing the point here. (or maybe I am, correct me if i'm wrong). I thought the term "over-rated" as we were using it in this sense is when the media or people who don't know squat about football go around saying that these guys are better than they really are.

I guess "over-rated" is a flexible term which really depends on where you are. If i go out on the street and ask people what they think of Pavel Nedved, 99 out of 100 people would wonder wtf i'm talking about. On the other hand, just ask someone who knows anything about footy and he'll tell you how awesome Pavel is.

The reason for all this disagreement regarding ratings is IMO just about a misunderstanding

Jul 28, 2002
Wes Brown of ManYOOO.

He is a poor defender, players get past him easily, even when fit he was crap.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Nedved11 ] ++
Beckham is overrated? You guys are on crack.

Ronaldo is overrated? Please pass over whatever drugs you're taking because they seem to be working really well. The leading scorer of Liga is now considered overrated?!? He should be ashamed of himself for leading Liga in scoring, I mean how could he do such a thing. :rolleyes: You guys are really biased.

Have you guys even seen Figo play? He controls the game for Madrid. and if he's not doing it, Zidane and Beckham are doing it. Beckham has set up almost every goal for Real Madrid.
I hope you didn't misunderstand me... I think that Beckham is awsome as a player, but still sometimes media speack about him too mutch... Who cares if change hair style or goes to holyday in Lapponia, or spend x dollars a month? In Italy they talk about all this bullshit even if he never played here. So I imagine in England and Spain...
About Ronaldo and Figo I am agree with you, also.
Somebody mentioned Raul... are you crazy??? Otherwise he is underrated! He never winned any personal award but he is IMO one of the best players of the last 10 years...

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Votes so far: (including mine)
David Beckham 10
Rooney 8
Ronaldo(buck tooth) 6
figo 5
Del Piero 6
C.Ronaldo 4
Rio Ferdinand 4
Owen 3
Veron 4
klose 2
Raul 2
Adu 2
People in here don't seem to understand the word 'over-rated'.

Beckham, Rooney, Ronaldo, Figo and Del Piero over-rated? Please!

Any other club or set of fans would kill to have them in their team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)