*OFFICIAL* The President Barack Obama Thead (3 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Pelosi: Contraception is Good Stimulus for the Economy

January 26, 2009 12:16 AM ET | James Pethokoukis | Permanent Link | Print
Madam Speaker Nancy Pelosi on birth-control funding as part of the $825 billion stimulus package: "Well, the family planning services reduce cost. They reduce cost. The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for children's health, education and some of those elements are to help the states meet their financial needs. One of those - one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/capital...si-contraception-is-good-for-the-economy.html

:lol2:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Apparently, the US can now give money to international family planning organizations that promote abortion, morning after pill, etc. That's probably a good thing.

Oh, and about the Pelosi deal. It does have some truth. The costs for the Foster Care system in this country are pretty large, especially when a child is a ward of the state for close to 18 years. Same thing for welfare, WIC, and other family planning things. So a reduction in those costs would make government function more freely in theory. Though it's really hard to tell the effect of funding of family planning projects considering the US doesn't have the population issues of oh say... Africa. Pelosi isn't very smart, but she seems to have her head in the right place. She's just a little off. Social programs are important, but family planning may not be the place to spend your entire wad of cash.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Making his election a race issue rather than a policy issue is deplorable. He should be noted for his political ability not the colour of his skin.

His policies were better than mcCains and Clintons, thats why people should have voted for him and it isn't that big a step for America or coloured people anyway, hope and change don't flow in politics.
Whatever. He wasn't elected for his color. He was the better candidate and ran a better campaign. He's still the first black President in US history. And considering black people couldn't use the same bathroom a white people 50 years ago, this IS a big moment for black Americans and all Americans.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's really strange how people don't see through the words. Obama said he would end the war in Iraq and close down the Guantanamo Bay terrorist camp. Yes, already accomplished one of those things. But where are they sending the prisoners? All across the world, even to my state of Pennsylvania, without a fair trial of course. A prison closing down only means the prisoners are sent elsewhere, so people praising this sort of feat do not really understand what is going on. Yes, Obama may end the war in Iraq, but then the troops will move towards Afghanistan and potentially Pakistan, through Obama's own words.
That's the sad thing Andy. Gitmo is shutting down, which is great. You really can't argue for keeping it open. The problem now is what to do with all the fellows that were wrongfully imprisoned by Bush. I've heard that a few of the prisoners will actually be sent home. Some will be given a military trial. Some will be given a fair trial. And others will go straight to military prisons. The important thing to remember is that no more people are being taken to Gitmo.

I think it was John Steward that made the point that even if some of the prisoners originally had merely a mild distaste for the US and weren't terrorists... well they certainly have reason to hate the US now. Obama is taking the right steps with the situation now. Bush's prior antics have made it so that any big reforms Obama wishes to make will be immensely complex and time consuming. But at least it's a step in the right direction. If it were up to me we would release everyone to their respective countries with an envelope containing 50k in US dollars and hope that a show of compassion from a new and obviously changed administration would be enough to persuade them from seeking retribution. Alas, that outlook is not accepted by the National Security community.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I think its an important to note that the US govt imprisoned over 1000 individuals without any sort of rights whatsoever, saying they can detain them indefenitely (Cheney was asked when he will release them, said when there is no longer global teror in the world, meaning world peace, meaning eternity), without any regards for the Geneva conventions (actually said it doesnt apply to them at ALL...).

Those 1000 individuals are direct quotes from the US govt themselves admitting and updating the world of how many they detained in press conferences back then, about how the world on terror is going. Its officially only 1000, because they stopped making these updates about the official figure of detainees, because it became too embarrassing and horrifying to update it, so how many it is since then, no one knows (not even talking the secret prisons of CIA all around the world).

The kicker is, which we all know anyway, but that of those official 1000 detainees, besides being so without needing a single ounce of a reason for it, NOT ONE SINGLE OF THEM HAVE BEEN OFFICIALLY CHARGED WITH ANYTHING OR BEEN TO TRIAL. Yes, you read it right. Quite something, huh?

And people say one is being too much when one calls them faschists.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I think its an important to note that the US govt imprisoned over 1000 individuals without any sort of rights whatsoever, saying they can detain them indefenitely (Cheney was asked when he will release them, said when there is no longer global teror in the world, meaning world peace, meaning eternity), without any regards for the Geneva conventions (actually said it doesnt apply to them at ALL...).

Those 1000 individuals are direct quotes from the US govt themselves admitting and updating the world of how many they detained in press conferences back then, about how the world on terror is going. Its officially only 1000, because they stopped making these updates about the official figure of detainees, because it became too embarrassing and horrifying to update it, so how many it is since then, no one knows.

The kicker is, which we all know anyway, but that of those official 1000 detainees, besides being so without needing a single ounce of a reason for it, NOT ONE SINGLE OF THEM HAVE BEEN OFFICIALLY CHARGED WITH ANYTHING OR BEEN TO TRIAL. Yes, you read it right. Quite something, huh?

And people say one is being too much when one calls them faschists.
Oh it's probably more than accurate to refer to the Bush administration a fascist. I'm certainly not condoning Bush's actions.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Gunmen fire outside U.S. embassy in Yemen
Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:07pm EST

SANAA (Reuters) - Unknown gunmen opened fire at a checkpoint outside the U.S. embassy in Yemen on Monday, hours after the mission said it received a threat, but a Yemeni official said no one was hurt.

"Police are chasing the car that opened fire. No one seems to have been hurt. It was a checkpoint leading to the embassy, and not close to the building," the official told Reuters.

The embassy had earlier urged Americans to be cautious in the Arab country that has been the scene of al Qaeda attacks on Western interests.

(Reporting by Mohammed Sudam; writing by Firouz Sedarat; Editing by Jon Boyle)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
CAIRO, Egypt – President Barack Obama chose an Arabic-language satellite TV network for his first formal television interview as president, delivering a message Tuesday to the Muslim world that "Americans are not your enemy."

The interview taped Monday underscored Obama's commitment to repair relations with the Muslim world that have suffered under the previous administration.

The president expressed an intention to engage the Middle East immediately and his new envoy to the region, former Sen. George J. Mitchell, was expected to arrived in Egypt on Tuesday for a visit that will also take him to Israel, the West Bank, Jordan, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

"My job to the Muslim world is to communicate that the Americans are not your enemy," Obama told the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya news channel, which is privately owned by a Saudi businessman.

Obama said the U.S. had made mistakes in the past but "that the same respect and partnership that America had with the Muslim world as recently as 20 or 30 years ago, there's no reason why we can't restore that."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)