Official Cricket thread (3 Viewers)

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Steve Smith might just be the greatest modern day test cricketer ever

What he is doing in the series is just unprecedented stuff. Only Lara against Australia in 99 is on that same level.

Would be absolutely gutted for him if Australia don't win or atleast square the series and retain the ashes tbh

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Zak Crawley with some innings against Pakistan in only his 8th test - 267, England finish on 583 and Pakistan replied with only 24-3 so far. Pak need a miracle.

Jimmy Anderson also only needs 3 more wickets to become first pace bowler to reach 600 Test wickets.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I heard a story that there was a cricket match played in Germany in which Hitler was invited. After 5 days, the game ended in a draw. Hitler was furious and forbade any German to play cricket.
I'm not sure if this game actually happened or is a myth, but cricket had been getting a foothold in Germany before the Nazis, and they discouraged it to the extent where it fell off the sporting radar for decades.

In terms of ideals I don't think first class cricket with its long duration, focus on form, style and gentlemanly play really sat well with those of the Nazis. To me it is the most stereotypically English game which was then adapted and improved once it made its way to the then-colonies.

Personally I don't think you'll ever see a Test nation that wasn't once part of the Commonwealth, but for limited overs I don't see why it couldn't be more popular.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)