Official Cannavaro's gone Thread (39 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Jibes inspired us, says Fabio
Wednesday 5 July, 2006

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro has admitted that the German media spurred on the Azzurri in last night’s semi-final win over the hosts.

Some sections of the German Press had caused uproar amongst members of the squad for their portrayal of Italians in recent weeks.

One newspaper went as far as suggesting that there should be a pizza boycott in Germany, while another served up a 'Pizza Arriverderci’ on Tuesday as they predicted a home win.

“I wanted to come here with two pizzas myself, but let’s forget about it,” the Juventus stopper said on Wednesday.

“We must show respect to our opponents, even if they showed no respect to the Italians living in their own country.

“We’ve reached the Final because we knew how to channel all of the anger which had built up inside of us from the Calciopoli situation and the German media’s provocation.”

The Azzurri will now face Portugal or France in the Final on Sunday and Cannavaro evidently has another score to settle.

“France? Mamma Mia,” he said. “If I think back to the Euro 2000 Final we lost against them and the France ’98 penalties defeat…

“We need to work hard, attack and win.”

The Napoli-native, one of the side’s key players so far, also urged boss Marcello Lippi to not end his stint as boss in Berlin.

“I hope he’s got the message from the squad and says yes to a renewal,” underlined the central defender.

“He’s very enthusiastic and he’s been preparing this World Cup for the last two years. He is a great Coach, very strong. Let’s hope he remains.”
Lippi: Let’s finish the job
Now that Italy have reached the World Cup Final, boss Marcello Lippi has urged his troops to go on and with the competition. More

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Morra10 said:
Forza Canna, i hope i can see canna hold up that great piece of gold in the air.
Please don't tell me that piece is a part of your body:p

Canna deserved this appreciation since a long time ago...

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
ReBeL said:
Please don't tell me that piece is a part of your body:p

Canna deserved this appreciation since a long time ago...

thats nasty dude, im going to have nightmares about that.........

i even editted it for you lol

im talking about this

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
There's nothing to discuss though, concerning Cannavaro. Everyone agrees that he's the best. He doesn't bring any arguements or controversy, ala Zlatan or DP.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Fabio wants glorious finale

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro is desperate to celebrate his 100th cap on Sunday with a World Cup winner's medal. The Juventus defender put in a superhuman display in Tuesday's extra-time victory over Germany to reach Sunday's final in Berlin.

"I knew this could be my last World Cup and asked my team mates to help me reach that target of 100 games," said Cannavaro. "I have to say that they have delivered for me and in the best possible way."

In a tense encounter with the hosts, Cannavaro kept tournament top scorer Miroslav Klose quiet with Fabio Grosso and Alessandro del Piero sealing victory in a dramatic final two minutes of extra time.

"What a game that was!" exclaimed the 32-year-old. "We kept our calm throughout but I had a really good feeling about that game.

"The really nice thing is that again it was players who came off the bench who made the difference for us. That shows that we have a fantastic squad and that there are no rivalries
."

Italy can claim their fourth World Cup if they triumph in the German capital's Olympic Stadium, and Cannavaro revealed the bitter disappointments of the last World Cup and Euro 2004 have served to motivate the Azzurri squad.

"We've accumulated a lot of anger after two major disappointments. First, we lost to the hosts in 2002 and that was dubious and then we lost in Portugal," said Cannavaro.

"We put that rage to good use on the pitch and you can see that at the World Cup -- we are turning that anger into something positive."

Eurosport

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's so fucking great that Germany didn't show any form of respect on and off the pitch, but that Italy did and actually humiliated them. They were by far the more classy team and they were by far the better football players. I actually felt sorry for Germany. An absolutely pathetic performance from them on a humane scale if you ask me. Glad to see Cannavaro is above that shit.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
m_elayyan said:
Cannavaro is the best defender in the world IMO , and this world cup proved it
i dont care who capello take with him as long as cana stay with juve which is the desire of canna to stay even if juve were relegated , which proves that this player is a legend , I think more than 60% of the success of the azzuri till now is related to cannavarro

I hope that this thread to be sticky
FORZA CANNAVARRO
+ REP

This thread should've been created ages ago....

Fabio Cannavaro might be the best deffender in history ... Atleast in my period of watching football I've never seen such a deffender.

Not only a good player, but also a good captain and a good person...

Forza Fabio.

Apr 15, 2006
here in India, none of the sports channels telecast Serie A games. so i never really saw Cannavaro's actual influence and his skills.

but after FULL coverage of teh World Cup, and watching Cannavaro play, i've become his fan.

against Germany, the hosts had only 2 shots on target, which IMO is largely due to Cannavaro and his fellow defenders.

ALL HAIL CANNAVARO!!!

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
I hope that he won't leave us, I consider him as a true Juventino.
I hope that he will lift the World Cup trophy in Sunday,which would be a crown to his career.

He is the best defender in the world,no doubt about it,and he is Buffon's guardian angel.

OP
Maher

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #33
    giovanotti said:
    I hope that he won't leave us, I consider him as a true Juventino.
    I hope that he will lift the World Cup trophy in Sunday,which would be a crown to his career.

He is the best defender in the world,no doubt about it,and he is Buffon's guardian angel.
    I hope that too

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    i think canna's got a great chance of winning the golden ball.the golden boot is virtually klose's,but cannvaaro has got to be the front runner for the golden ball,followed by buffon.

Dec 26, 2004
    m_elayyan said:
    Cannavaro is the best defender in the world IMO , and this world cup proved it
    i dont care who capello take with him as long as cana stay with juve which is the desire of canna to stay even if juve were relegated , which proves that this player is a legend , I think more than 60% of the success of the azzuri till now is related to cannavarro

I hope that this thread to be sticky
    FORZA CANNAVARRO

58.6% is the exact percentage.

AbuGadanzieri

Jan 8, 2006
    what you think

please discuss

http://worldcup.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=88641

Player Profile: Fabio Cannavaro

Authority, Tenacity, Surely You Might Be Talking About Fabio Cannavaro...

The tales that the children hear will always be of vanquishers, who attack their rivals and make their mark with their triumphs. The ones who valiantly defend their fort are always forgotten. The goal scorers get into the record books for their number of goals. The creativity of the midfielders is also praised. The goalkeepers have their own uniqueness to be remembered too. There is a group which is most times forgotten, the defenders.

A person who is over-curious, and wants to know more than he ought, always carries the match in his hand to set fire to the powder-room of his own fortunes; and he who pries into others’ affairs is frequently a loser in his own; for generally he who digs holes to search for treasures, comes to a ditch into which he himself falls, as happened to the daughter of a gardener, Parmetella, the heroine of an old Italian tale. Giambattista Basile, the author of that stor, was a Neapolitan.

Mostly people from Naples never peep into others’ affairs. They have a household to look after, and they are satisfied with protecting their kin. Another Neapolitan, who left the place for Parma, then shifted to Milan, and finally came to Turin, took his horde to Germany just to defend his area. He never become over-curious and he will not dig any holes to search for treasures, but he goes searching for one fortune that has left his country for twenty-four years. His job is defending his fort, and there are not many other people who do that better than him. He is Fabio Cannavaro, captain of the Italian national team, and arguably world’s best central defender at present.

In the era of harsh tackling and play-acting defenders, Cannavaro’s art of defending is rather pure. It is rare to see a spectacular, last-ditch, sliding tackle from him because he hardly ever finds himself needing to take desperate measures. When you first see Fabio on the field, it is difficult to identify him as a defender. Just 5ft 9in tall (or short), he doesn’t possess the height to be a top marksman. To compensate, he has built up his upper body and arms. The only thing that gives you a hint is his broad chest which never drops. But he is quick, strong, intelligent and very rarely does he make a mistake.

From an early age he refined an Italian aspiration: he wanted to be a defender. Cannavaro has a faint contempt for attackers, they can mess around with the ball, even lose it. Cannavaro found a role model in another Neapolitan defender, Ciro Ferrara, who is 33 and sits on Italy's bench. “He was and is my example,” says Cannavaro. He is in that long line of Italian defenders, encompassing legends like Oriali, Bergomi, Collovati and the filthy Claudio Gentile to contemporaries Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Nesta. The one he can be compared to is Gaetano Scirea, who was a graceful defender of great skill and tactical ability.

In contrast to the ruthless tactics often employed by defenders, Scirea was renowned for his fair play and sportsmanship. All these thoughts that defending is the greatest fine art. They would sing in the shower if they shut a striker out of the match, even if their team had lost.

“The way the Italians do it, defending is indeed glorious, the most important thing in football,” says Cannavaro, “and it is beautiful as well”.

In the days of blood, sweat and sniffles, and the pile-up of crunching tackles, beauty exists within their game of football. It may not always be apparent throughout the course of a match, but it is there, sparkling underneath the surface.

In art, as in nature, balance and synchronized performance are seen as being possessed of beauty, of all things, an offside trap can be beautiful. Defending can be a lot of things: grainy, hideous, frantic, and crucial. But it is attractive in precision. That is what Cannavaro practices, he is much a perfectionist. In a dance, you can practice and perform. That is not the case with football. There match situations become totally different from that on a training ground. There you need improvising, and in inventing in synch is when it becomes an art-form.

Defenders are, on average, mentally much stronger than strikers. A striker can rely on a couple of good moments during a match, while a defender has to be alert for the whole 90 minutes. He cannot afford to lose his concentration a single second, or he will be beaten by an expert striker. Strikers can make a lot of slip-ups and still win the game, and that is the way they mostly play. A defender can play a fantastic match, and still lose it by making one little mistake, and that takes a lot more mental toughness. And the good ones show it.

Cannavaro is one such, a crafty defender who is seemingly flawless in one-on-one situations. A precise tackler with good aerial ability, despite his lack of height, can also play well the ball at his feet and often starts quick counter-attacking plays. At most of those occasions, he clears the ball quickly. But the ball will end up only at the feet of his team-mates. He has been playing for the Azzurri seemingly forever and will go down in history as one of the best defenders in the history of the Italian National team.

Cannavaro and the rest of Italy's defense have allowed only one goal in six games, and that was Zaccardo's own-goal in a 1-1 draw with the United States in the first round. Italy’s skipper and the most capped player among the current squad, Fabio Cannavaro is a stalwart of the 'Azzurri’ side. He will be entering the century of caps, and what better an occasion to achieve it, the World Cup final. His performances, against Australia when they lost Materazzi, and then again in the semi-final with Germany, have been simply superb.

Together with goalkeeper Buffon, the friendship he had from their Parma days, which still continues now with Juventus, Cannavaro is the one who is responsible for the solidity of Italy. What he lacks in height, he makes up for with great anticipation, aggression and power. Now only one more step to glory, as in Marcelo Lippi’s own words, “to complete the opera”. Berlin waits, for the master of defense to deliver, and if he does, he can go down in history books as the one valiant who protected his kingdom, and never gave up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)