Official Azzurri WC2014 Thread (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2014
Balotelli's issue is he isn't a team player, he's immature, and his movements are bad. His talent is out of this world, but his brain is tiny. I own a Balotelli jersey, but I'm pretty much done with him.
The following characteristics of Balotelli are detrimental and will always make me prefer a guy like Destro as a #9 over him.
1.He is undisciplined and takes really bad fouls at inopportune times. Marchisio's tackle was bad, but you could argue it was accidental. Balotelli's you can usually chalk up to him losing his head for a moment.
2. He has personality issues. Whether it is laziness in training, indiscipline off the field, or he is just saying something very childish on Twitter it is clear he lacks professionalism. Legends like Del Piero and Totti were professionals.
3. He is an inherently selfish player. He'll always take the FK with Milan even if another has an opportunity from a better position (ie: Honda with his rocket of a left foot coming from the right side).
4. He lacks discipline with his positioning. If he isn't happy with his service, he will drop deep into the midfield and disrupt other players movements. He is not a false-9 and does not have the playmaking abilities to drop deep like one. It just confuses the attack.
5. His behaviour causes others to get agitated with him. Ultimately a unified team is most important, through wins and losses. If guys like DDR and Buffon are openly criticizing him post match, it may suggest he was acting like an ass.

For me Destro is what the Azzurri need. He is a no nonsense striker with the highest strike rate in Serie A. He is quick, smart, and can score with both his head and feet. If the right support cast is there, he will finish his chances. He certainly will not do as Balotelli does and try to take matters into his own hands by becoming a central midfielder. He may not score a goal from 30 yards, but ultimately those goals are rare and I'd take a guy who plays in position over one who doesn't 100% of the time.

And even if Destro said something stupid when asked whether he wants to be a reserve, he deserves another chance. Balotelli has had dozens. If Destro shows the same error in judgment repeatedly then he shouldn't play either.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Balotelli is a joke of a player with no heart, but Rossi would not have saved this team either. The team that was out there tonight looked exactly like Juventus in the Champions League, boring and destined to lose.

Jul 1, 2010
Balotelli's issue is he isn't a team player, he's immature, and his movements are bad. His talent is out of this world, but his brain is tiny. I own a Balotelli jersey, but I'm pretty much done with him.
The following characteristics of Balotelli are detrimental and will always make me prefer a guy like Destro as a #9 over him.
1.He is undisciplined and takes really bad fouls at inopportune times. Marchisio's tackle was bad, but you could argue it was accidental. Balotelli's you can usually chalk up to him losing his head for a moment.
2. He has personality issues. Whether it is laziness in training, indiscipline off the field, or he is just saying something very childish on Twitter it is clear he lacks professionalism. Legends like Del Piero and Totti were professionals.
3. He is an inherently selfish player. He'll always take the FK with Milan even if another has an opportunity from a better position (ie: Honda with his rocket of a left foot coming from the right side).
4. He lacks discipline with his positioning. If he isn't happy with his service, he will drop deep into the midfield and disrupt other players movements. He is not a false-9 and does not have the playmaking abilities to drop deep like one. It just confuses the attack.
5. His behaviour causes others to get agitated with him. Ultimately a unified team is most important, through wins and losses. If guys like DDR and Buffon are openly criticizing him post match, it may suggest he was acting like an ass.

For me Destro is what the Azzurri need. He is a no nonsense striker with the highest strike rate in Serie A. He is quick, smart, and can score with both his hands and feet. If the right support cast is there, he will finish his chances. He certainly will not do as Balotelli does and try to take matters into his own hands by becoming a central midfielder. He may not score a goal from 30 yards, but ultimately those goals are rare and I'd take a guy who plays in position over one who doesn't 100% of the time.

And even if Destro said something stupid when asked whether he wants to be a reserve, he deserves another chance. Balotelli has had dozens. If Destro shows the same error in judgment repeatedly then he shouldn't play either.
:tup:

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
Balotelli is a joke of a player with no heart, but Rossi would not have saved this team either. The team that was out there tonight looked exactly like Juventus in the Champions League, boring and destined to lose.
So then the question is this. If they looked like Juventus then why do so many Juve fans want Conte to stay ? And by extension why do many want him to take over the Azzurri?

- - - Updated - - -

For me Destro is what the Azzurri need. He is a no nonsense striker with the highest strike rate in Serie A. He is quick, smart, and can score with both his hands and feet. If the right support cast is there, he will finish his chances. He certainly will not do as Balotelli does and try to take matters into his own hands by becoming a central midfielder. He may not score a goal from 30 yards, but ultimately those goals are rare and I'd take a guy who plays in position over one who doesn't 100% of the time.

:pint:

Mar 3, 2014
Speaking of Juventus:

It may be positive going forward with Pirlo off the National team. He is clearly a legend, but I find Italy has trouble adapting when his ability to create plays is restricted. Also, putting a more defensive holding midfielder may allow them to experiment with other ways of generating chances. I've noticed Juventus sometimes suffers from the same issue, where the strategy struggles when Pirlo is restricted from creating magic.

The one thing Verratti has over Pirlo is that he is much quicker and defensively sound. He is more versatile and should be useful in multiple gameplan. Ie: Verratti while he may not be ideal for a 4-2-3-1 would be way more useful than Pirlo. For Verratti however, his height is a major issue. Especially in formations that rely on more defensive MFers, the ability obtain possession by winning aerial battles can be crucial. Verratti's height is really a problem here.

Ugh...and replacing DDR...that's going to be fun.

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
Speaking of Juventus:

It may be positive going forward with Pirlo off the National team. He is clearly a legend, but I find Italy has trouble adapting when his ability to create plays is restricted. Also, putting a more defensive holding midfielder may allow them to experiment with other ways of generating chances. I've noticed Juventus sometimes suffers from the same issue, where the strategy struggles when Pirlo is restricted from creating magic.

The one thing Verratti has over Pirlo is that he is much quicker and defensively sound. He is more versatile and should be useful in multiple gameplan. Ie: Verratti while he may not be ideal for a 4-2-3-1 would be way more useful than Pirlo.

Ugh...and replacing DDR...that's going to be fun.
Ya know I will also add that lengthy list of bad attributes you attributed to baalotelli can also be attributed to many of his generations players. The game has shamelessly evolved to a individual player is the man game and not we play and win as a team, leave your identity and ego at the door

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Football is so meh these days

Look at the teams around.

Italy sees its last 2 legendary class players go out. There has always have been dreamplayers in the azzurri since the 80ties and it has come to an end.

Brazil might have neymar, but when considering that the last 3 decades, they've had Bebeto, Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, then its pathetic really.

Holland has a great coach, and class forwards. But they had a semi final quality team regardless of coach/formation for 3 decades. Current holland plays excellent organisatory football, but isnt stacked with world class anymore. Robben and Van Persie. Sneijder 4 years ago.

Portugal's golden generation is gone and burried.

England's "new generation" is even weaker then the past ones and so, so incredibly far away from the peak they had at 1998 when they really had a good team.

African teams. Sure, peasants will note that a few made the next round. However, they'll all get elimitated there. There are no new drogba's and eto'o"s

France is average. Good at the moment, untill you compare with 1985 or 1998 france.

What is left ? Argentina is playing like crap and isnt as exciting as batistuta's Argentina despite even more offensive talent. Germany if their coach returns to heynckens style.

And ... uhm ... no one

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Speaking of Juventus:

Yes, both sides suffer from the same issue, and I think it becomes even worse when the 3-5-2 is used since it's a predictable formation. Italy looked much better with the 4-3-2-1 or whatever against England.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Italy sees its last 2 legendary class players go out. There has always have been dreamplayers in the azzurri since the 80ties and it has come to an end.

Brazil might have neymar, but when considering that the last 3 decades, they've had Bebeto, Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, then its pathetic really.

Holland has a great coach, and class forwards. But they had a semi final quality team regardless of coach/formation for 3 decades. Current holland plays excellent organisatory football, but isnt stacked with world class anymore. Robben and Van Persie. Sneijder 4 years ago.

England's "new generation" is even weaker then the past ones and so, so incredibly far away from the peak they had at 1998 when they really had a good team.

African teams. Sure, peasants will note that a few made the next round. However, they'll all get elimitated there. There are no new drogba's and eto'o"s

France is average. Good at the moment, untill you compare with 1985 or 1998 france.

What is left ? Argentina is playing like crap and isnt as exciting as batistuta's Argentina despite even more offensive talent. Germany if their coach returns to heynckens style.

And ... uhm ... no one
Time for the underdog nations to step up and make a name for themselves. Love seeing teams like Spain, Italy, and Brazil lose their glory years. Nothing last forever and it gives a chance for maybe someone like Holland to finally win, or somebody else.

This tournament has been fantastic and nobody wants to see the same teams winning, especially Spain and Italy.

Mar 3, 2014

And ... uhm ... no one
2 years is plenty of time for a new star to emerge. Maybe no one will, but maybe Mastour will burst onto the scene. The guy has a extensive set of tools - I'm sure we'll find out soon if he has a toolbox.

It is truly a disappointment that Cassano had such a tool for a brain because if he had the work ethic of a Cristiano Ronaldo, he could have been the best player that Italy had seen in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)