Official Azzurri WC2014 Thread (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2014
Italian football is not even 1/10 of what it was 10 years ago.
We can partially blame how the FIGC handled Calciopoli. There is gambling throughout Europe. Instead of penalizing the entire squads, I think it would have been much more effective to prosecute those guilty criminally. Even title stripping may have been appropriate, however, I can't even go through the thought process of those sorting out the punishments and how they figured penalizing the strongest squads in Italy and forcing them into the 2nd division would be good for the league in the long run, especially with the BPL knocking at Serie A's door*. If you have the option of cutting out the tumour you do it rather than going through chemotherapy and killing everything.

*Especially with the EPL's focus on entertaining/fast football. Is it a coincidence that the World Cup is not played how the EPL plays football? no. That is not how you win games. However, it is very marketable.

Apr 12, 2004
He's not overrated, he's just a young, dumb kid, who doesn't work hard, takes his talent for granted, and after football will be bankrupt and selling shoes at Payless Shoes two years after retirement.

"Hi, I'm Mario, may I suggest these Sauconi's? Hmmm, you actually look like my mom!"

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
We can partially blame how the FIGC handled Calciopoli. There is gambling throughout Europe. Instead of penalizing the entire squads, I think it would have been much more effective to prosecute those guilty criminally. Even title stripping may have been appropriate, however, I can't even go through the thought process of those sorting out the punishments how they figured penalizing the strongest squads in Italy and forcing them into the 2nd division would be good for the league in the long run, especially with the BPL knocking at Serie A's door. If you have the option of cutting out the tumour you do it rather than going through chemotherapy and killing everything.
Please the calciopoli was a shit feast from start to finish. They shot themselves in the foot over a lot of nothing

- - - Updated - - -

ßöмßäяðîëя;4591941 said:
He's not overrated, he's just a young, dumb kid, who doesn't work hard, takes his talent for granted, and after football will be bankrupt and selling shoes at Payless Shoes two years after retirement.

"Hi, I'm Mario, may I suggest these Sauconi's? Hmmm, you actually look like my mom!"
That maybe sooner than later for ... cappa di merda

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Prandelli, and people that want him to coach Juve if Conte leaves :lol:

Rossi not being selected and Italy creating a million chances in games 2 and 3 :lol:

Marchisio, and his fanboys :lol:

Italy being unable to play up tempo when 1-0 down with minutes to go in games 2 and 3 :lol:

Italy, failed to get out of group stage in 2 consecutive World Cups :lol:

Insigne :lol:
Forgot to add.

Immobile and those who wanted him here :lol:

Jul 1, 2010
Let's look at Italy's players just 10-12 years ago compared to today in defense and attack:

In defense:

2002-04: Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Panucci, etc.

2014: Barzagli, Chiellini, Bonucci, Abate, De Sciglio, Darmian

In attack:

2002-04: Vieri, Totti, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Montella, Cassano, etc.

2014: Balotelli, Immobile, Insigne, Cassano, Cerci, Rossi (not called)

It is not even remotely close. Italy should do what Germany did after Euro 2000 when they completely revamped Germany's youth system and their approach to youth.

Mar 3, 2014
Yeah - when people discuss Italian match-fixing most people do not realize it was the Italian police that busted these teams. No other league would allow that to happen. I mean look at FIFA. It is clearly an incredibly corrupt body as I'm sure other domestic leagues are. You don't see the United Nations challenging FIFA or British Bobbies/Polizei busting their domestic leagues. I'd be very surprised if gambling wasn't prominent in most leagues, but if you really want to correct it, chopping of your foot isn't the way to do it.

Apr 12, 2004
Let's look at Italy's players just 10-12 years ago compared to today in defense and attack:

In defense:

In attack:

2002-04: Vieri, Totti, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Montella, etc.

It is not even remotely close. Italy should do what Germany did after Euro 2000 when they completely revamped Germany's youth system and their approach to youth.
Just as in politics though, Germany don't rest on their laurels, they bail out most of their counterparts across the continent.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

In defense:

In attack:

2002-04: Vieri, Totti, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Montella, etc.

:tup:

Its shocking to see the total lack of new world class italian players this generation.

Verratti might get there, and thats it

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
Yeah - when people discuss Italian match-fixing most people do not realize it was the Italian police that busted these teams. No other league would allow that to happen. I mean look at FIFA. It is clearly an incredibly corrupt body as I'm sure other domestic leagues are. You don't see the United Nations challenging FIFA or British Bobbies/Polizei busting their domestic leagues. I'd be very surprised if gambling wasn't prominent in most leagues, but if you really want to correct it, chopping of your foot isn't the way to do it.
And there it is! Once again it comes to light. FIFA is full of shit and they aren't fans of the FIGC they allow bullshit to happen that they wouldn't tolerate anywhere else. It's a sham of an organization. Wait till you see the bullshit ban Suarez gets

Mar 3, 2014
Honesty, I'm way more concerned about our backline vs. the forwards. We do lack one of our signature #10s, but our forwards have potential in the upcoming years. While nowhere near the early 2000s, names like Mastour, Bernardeschi, Destro, Insigne (as he grows - not in height), Berardi, El Shaarawy, Gabbiadini, Immobile as he gets more seasoned do have some promise.

On defense, I'm flat out scared. Our 2018 World Cup pairing is likely Ranocchia-Bonucci at this point. It's flat out frightening.

Jul 1, 2010
Honesty, I'm way more concerned about our backline vs. the forwards. We do lack one of our signature #10s, but our forwards have potential in the upcoming years. While nowhere near the early 2000s, names like Mastour, Bernardeschi, Destro, Insigne (as he grows - not in height), Berardi, El Shaarawy, Gabbiadini, Immobile as he gets more seasoned do have some promise.

On defense, I'm flat out scared. Our 2018 World Cup pairing is likely Ranocchia-Bonucci at this point. It's flat out frightening.
Rugani and Romagnoli :xfinger:

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011

Insigne and immobile i will pass on

vaper

Aug 26, 2012

Ogbonna could turn out ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)