Official Azzurri WC2014 Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Cesare Prandelli explained his Italy resignation, noting Mario Balotelli was “part of the project” that failed.

The Coach and Federation President Giancarlo Abete handed in their “irrevocable” resignation after a 1-0 defeat to Uruguay, which ended their World Cup campaign.

“If we didn’t score goals, then it means we have certain structural limitations. The responsibility is mine, with choices, tactics and substitutions,” said Prandelli in a Press conference.

“The technical project did not work and therefore I take responsibility for that.”

He mentioned the controversy in some papers over his wages and supposed tax dodging scheme when agreeing to renew his contract for two years.

“It was an ulterior reason behind my decision. The moment we renewed, something changed. I don’t know why, but we were treated like politicians and there was no defence.”

Prandelli was asked about Balotelli, but remained vague when giving a verdict.

“Balotelli is part of the technical project. I made the choices and I resign, as it was not a winning project.”

It was also reported that the entire Italy squad waited in the dressing room before getting on the team bus for Prandelli to finish his Press conference – all except for Balotelli, who sat on the bus by himself.

Balotelli was substituted at half-time, with Prandelli confirming he was afraid the Milan striker would be sent off.

“We lost this World Cup against Costa Rica. We had what was needed to do better and I put on four strikers, but we still didn’t create scoring opportunities. In these situations, there is physicality needed as well as quality.

“In terms of fitness preparation, we knew it would be difficult to find the same sharpness as the South and Central American teams. Uruguay and Costa Rica were clearly quicker and were first to every ball. It worked against England, but not the other two teams.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)