Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
I grew up watching Ale and Totti take the pitch every sunday. Del Piero was, in every way imaginable, my idol. In the nineties it wasn't because he won that I liked him, but because of his exceptional class and passion. You could see it in his eyes that he loved football more than anything. And then there was Totti. Not quite the class act Del Piero was, but such a great player and a man who was very passionate about his city and his country. They represented everything I liked about football.

People associated me with Del Piero, because he was all I would talk about. Del Piero was my guy and everyone knew this. If he fucked up for Juventus or god forbid Italy, I would have to take some of the abuse too. And I did. My God, 2000 was the most horrible experience any young football fan could encounter. My idol, no my hero, had fallen. For months the mere look of him pained me. But then he scored that goal against Bari.. Juventus won the title in 2002 and Del Piero scored against Mexico.

Apart from that 2002 was the worst World Cup I have ever witnessed and I hope not to see anything like it ever again. It still disgusts me. Not only because of what happened on the pitch, but also because of the racial slur the Italians and Spaniards had to endure. I had never imagined that FIFA officials and with them fans from all over the world would have no problems with dragging them through the mud like that, not because they deserved it, but because they were what they were. 2004 didn't make things better in that aspect. Fixed or not, it was odd to see the entire world come down on the Azzurri once again.

But then came 2006. In all probability the last chance for some of my heroes to shine. Rocked by a scandal things looked rather bad at the beginning of the tournament, but led by an inspired coach Italy went on to win the damn thing. And I cannot possibly describe to any of you how glad I was to see Del Piero hold that trophy. I still watch the pictures from time to time. The generation of Italian players I grew up admiring so so much had won the title. It wasn't my title and I'll never claim it was, but the memory of hearing people shout "campioni del mondo! campioni del mondo!" while gazing over Florence and watching the Tuscan hills is something that I will always hold dear.

This World Cup it wasn't meant to be. Italy quite simply lacked quality. I didn't agree with Lippi's choices (why leave Del Piero, Totti and Cassano at home when there are no other options, why not start Quagliarella? I've wanted the guy to play the entire tournament and then he does and is brilliant). But I, for one, will not attack Marcello. He has been great and I know he will take responsibility now too. Because that's who Lippi is: a true gentleman. I feel bad for some of the players. Because they shouldn't have gone or because they should have played more. But I will not say this Italy deserved more than this. They are not a good team.

But they will be. There will be other Italian talents. Italy will do well in 2012. They will do well in 2014. But as for now, some fans will have to accept that you can't win them all. And there will no doubt be a lot of taunting. Some fans are that petty that they take so much pleasure in another man's loss. I can only say that I sympathise with them. This is what they have in their lives: they want to see another man fall. However I can't be bothered with them right now. I'm going to Spain tomorrow and I don't have the time.

No regrets, Marcello. You won in 2006, you made poor choices in 2010, but it happens. These things happen.
:touched:

Very well said!

Buy on AliExpress.com

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
I grew up watching Ale and Totti take the pitch every sunday. Del Piero was, in every way imaginable, my idol. In the nineties it wasn't because he won that I liked him, but because of his exceptional class and passion. You could see it in his eyes that he loved football more than anything. And then there was Totti. Not quite the class act Del Piero was, but such a great player and a man who was very passionate about his city and his country. They represented everything I liked about football.

People associated me with Del Piero, because he was all I would talk about. Del Piero was my guy and everyone knew this. If he fucked up for Juventus or god forbid Italy, I would have to take some of the abuse too. And I did. My God, 2000 was the most horrible experience any young football fan could encounter. My idol, no my hero, had fallen. For months the mere look of him pained me. But then he scored that goal against Bari.. Juventus won the title in 2002 and Del Piero scored against Mexico.

Apart from that 2002 was the worst World Cup I have ever witnessed and I hope not to see anything like it ever again. It still disgusts me. Not only because of what happened on the pitch, but also because of the racial slur the Italians and Spaniards had to endure. I had never imagined that FIFA officials and with them fans from all over the world would have no problems with dragging them through the mud like that, not because they deserved it, but because they were what they were. 2004 didn't make things better in that aspect. Fixed or not, it was odd to see the entire world come down on the Azzurri once again.

But then came 2006. In all probability the last chance for some of my heroes to shine. Rocked by a scandal things looked rather bad at the beginning of the tournament, but led by an inspired coach Italy went on to win the damn thing. And I cannot possibly describe to any of you how glad I was to see Del Piero hold that trophy. I still watch the pictures from time to time. The generation of Italian players I grew up admiring so so much had won the title. It wasn't my title and I'll never claim it was, but the memory of hearing people shout "campioni del mondo! campioni del mondo!" while gazing over Florence and watching the Tuscan hills is something that I will always hold dear.

This World Cup it wasn't meant to be. Italy quite simply lacked quality. I didn't agree with Lippi's choices (why leave Del Piero, Totti and Cassano at home when there are no other options, why not start Quagliarella? I've wanted the guy to play the entire tournament and then he does and is brilliant). But I, for one, will not attack Marcello. He has been great and I know he will take responsibility now too. Because that's who Lippi is: a true gentleman. I feel bad for some of the players. Because they shouldn't have gone or because they should have played more. But I will not say this Italy deserved more than this. They are not a good team.

But they will be. There will be other Italian talents. Italy will do well in 2012. They will do well in 2014. But as for now, some fans will have to accept that you can't win them all. And there will no doubt be a lot of taunting. Some fans are that petty that they take so much pleasure in another man's loss. I can only say that I sympathise with them. This is what they have in their lives: they want to see another man fall. However I can't be bothered with them right now. I'm going to Spain tomorrow and I don't have the time.

No regrets, Marcello. You won in 2006, you made poor choices in 2010, but it happens. These things happen.
:tup: Quality post.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Good post, Andries, but I can't help but feel that you really do believe you were hard done by... again.

If Italy do not get their act together, both as a national team and footballing nation, then they will do nothing in 2012 or 2014. This isn't only about the Azzurri, unfortunately so.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

It's me!

Great post Andries.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
I'm an Azzurri fan, I have Italian blood, and I'll cheer for my team for the rest of my life. But we have no business advancing in this tournament. We were disastrous, we didn't get goals, and at the same time we did not know how to defend. All the problems originated from Marcello Lippi when he refused to pick a young, energetic and more skillfull squad and rather picked more or less the same squad from 2006. However, that's not all. Our captian, Fabio Cannavaro, really dropped the ball (literally) this year. The goal for New Zealand was Cannavaro's fault, and today's third goal from Slovakia was Cannavaro's fault from a horrible pass where Marchetti was forced to clear for a Slovakian throw-in. Alright, maybe you can say this is subjective but Cannavaro was constantly caught up field and left huge holes in our defense. Cannavaro should retire from football both international and club, have fun in Dubai Canna.

Our squad thought we could do the same thing we did four years ago, however as you can see even the little teams had more art in their play then we did. Hopefully in 2014 Cesare Prandelli can pick a much more creative and skillful team with players like Bonucci, Chiellini, Acquafresca, Miccoli, Cassano, Giovinco, etc.

It's no one's fault other then our own for being eliminated in group stages and coming last in the group. Congratulations Paraguay and Slovakia. But, Forza Azzurri 2014. :)

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
I hate when what is supposed to be a talk about FOOTBALL ends up with namecalling and insulting such as "you're stupid", "liar", "hypocrite", "bastard" and so on..................
That's juventuz after all Fab :), members here don't perform a psycho test before registering , it is the easiest way for some of them to become part of something.

Apr 12, 2004
I'm an Azzurri fan, I have Italian blood, and I'll cheer for my team for the rest of my life. But we have no business advancing in this tournament. We were disastrous, we didn't get goals, and at the same time we did not know how to defend. All the problems originated from Marcello Lippi when he refused to pick a young, energetic and more skillfull squad and rather picked more or less the same squad from 2006. However, that's not all. Our captian, Fabio Cannavaro, really dropped the ball (literally) this year. The goal for New Zealand was Cannavaro's fault, and today's third goal from Slovakia was Cannavaro's fault from a horrible pass where Marchetti was forced to clear for a Slovakian throw-in. Alright, maybe you can say this is subjective but Cannavaro was constantly caught up field and left huge holes in our defense. Cannavaro should retire from football both international and club, have fun in Dubai Canna.

Our squad thought we could do the same thing we did four years ago, however as you can see even the little teams had more art in their play then we did. Hopefully in 2014 Cesare Prandelli can pick a much more creative and skillful team with players like Bonucci, Chiellini, Acquafresca, Miccoli, Cassano, Giovinco, etc.

It's no one's fault other then our own for being eliminated in group stages and coming last in the group. Congratulations Paraguay and Slovakia. But, Forza Azzurri 2014. :)
:lol2:
You're for stoning and you want to issue a psycho test?

Jesus, you're worse than Hitler.
:lol:
Andy, let's keep religion out of this thread.
Religion?

He said nothing of religion.

The act of throwing stones, a psych test, Hitler? None are religious, JESUS is the only religious part here, but I bet that's not what you were talking about.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #3,994
    Watching the replay you can see that Quagliarella's goal was not offside. They didn't deserve to go through anyway, they should be happy to leave before getting raped by Holland.

Delle Alpi

Chemical Dean
    May 26, 2009
    ßüякε;2554923 said:
    :lol2:

:lol:

Religion?

He said nothing of religion.

The act of throwing stones, a psych test, Hitler? None are religious, JESUS is the only religious part here, but I bet that's not what you were talking about.
    You know the stoning part is mainly religious and you do know which religion allow stoning.

Eh, Gio basically said that Burke and I are insane. I'm just responding.
    That stoning part you know would drag a huge argument between both parties.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    No he is not, he just agrees with what I said.
    And is there any situation when you don't say something bad about someone?

Attacking Fabiana with your Burke-boy and than saying that someone is worse than Hitler. :disagree:
    But you don't know what you're talking about though. She IS a hypo, and a hippo, the hungry hungry hippo-crit. She makes no sense regarding football or anything in life. It's just a fact.

Regarding the Hitler comment, it was well-warranted. Hitler issued psycho tests to see if their patients were the "perfect race." Considering your comments, and the freedom of the internet, you very much sound like a sympathizer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)