Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Lippi:
"We weren't very lucky, as once again the first time our opponents put the ball in the box, they scored”.
“Pepe did different things from what I had requested of him, so I changed."

Montolivo:
“I don't think it's an issue about the strikers or the team mentality, though we should all attack more and get more shots away with the midfielders pushing up,”

Iaquinta:
“It's a shame, New Zealand defended very well and got almost all the headers in the box."

Zambrotta:
“We played a good game, conceding in the only real scoring opportunity from our opponents. We gave everything we had to win the game, creating so many chances and it just didn't go well.”

Criscito:
“We should've played the ball to feet and would have created many more chances that way, but instead the 'keeper had all the crosses under control.”

De Rossi:
"We spent the entire match in their half and so far in this World Cup conceded two from free kicks.”

Pepe:
“I didn't think I was playing badly, but perhaps you can see different things on the field. It's not a disaster. Italy go out to win the games, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.”

Cannavaro:
“It is a coincidence. Today that free kick took a deflection, it landed on me and looking back it was a little offside. We work well on the defence and they tend to score at the first opportunity. Apart from that goal, there was only one team that tried to score and play football, as New Zealand sat back in defence. We hit the upright and forced four or five important saves. It is frustrating when you dominate and take the initiative throughout, yet cannot win the match.”

Gilardino:
“All too often I find myself playing with my back to the goal and my position penalises my performance.”

Marchisio:
“At the World Cup many of our players are not in their usual positions because the Coach is performing many experiments.”

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
You can see by the comments that most of the players are disillusioned with the tactics. It always baffles me how teams can go into a tournament still trying to work on tactics and approach, it's too late then.

el Manco

May 25, 2010
Obviously that is a pretty dire result, performance was just ok. The big problem is breaking teams down. The NZ goal was miles offside but really, I'm sick of talking about shit like that, seems we can't just have a football match with officials from third world countries. Italy have played two teams so far with little or no interest in attacking once the scores have been tied up, and because of the approach and selection of Lippi it has caused a problem. Tactically they don't really seem to know what the offensive approach is. It's pointless trying to keep going down the wing as the ball often flies too far from crosses. Same problem with diagonal balls, it flies over the head of the wide man or bounces over him. The best play has been when the ball has been played shorter to feet around the midfield, and players have lined up for a shot.

The Gilardino - Iaquinta partnership is terrible and Lippi is really testing peoples patience by perservering with something that clearly doesn't work. Italy had most of the ball in this game and looked much better with Di Natale spreading the attack wider in the second half. Marchisio was yet again played out of position. You play a 4-4-2 with that team and you clearly play Pepe and Camoranesi/Maggio on the wings, not Marchisio. Taking Pepe off at HT was criminal. I thought Criscito, Montolivo, De Rossi, Zambrotta and Pepe first half did pretty well, the rest was just average and overall it was an average performance against a battling team with nothing to lose. This is the key of this World Cup so far, pressure and fear on some of the 'bigger' teams, it really wouldn't be acceptable for Italy to not qualify from this group based on tactical anomolies and pressure. It's funny how people talk about 'old Italy' based on Cannavaro and Zambrotta, if you look around the team there is a lot of inexperience and it is starting to look more like Euro 2008 than a classically slow World Cup start. The saving grace here is that Slovakia look a team shot to pieces in terms of confidence, they were average against New Zealand and dire against Paraguay today. They showed nothing of the spirit that NZ have and if Italy can't beat them then really they don't deserve to go any further.
I thought the USA-Slovenia ref was impeccable. Forza Mali!

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Imagine two 0-0 draws. They'd have to toss a coin.
Yeah, I can't believe they use such criteria. I thought it's a joke when I first heard it, I checked, and it turns out to be true.

They could have used other criteria, like number of yellow/red cards and the team with less of those should get the fair play advantage.
But no, they will put two balls in a pot and make a draw :sergio:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, I can't believe they use such criteria. I thought it's a joke when I first heard it, I checked, and it turns out to be true.

They could have used other criteria, like number of yellow/red cards and the team with less of those should get the fair play advantage.
But no, they will put two balls in a pot and make a draw :sergio:
The idea is growing on me. I think it will happen.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Its happened before, over here, they tossed a coin between two teams in the Gulf Cup, i can't remember what it was for though, i think it was for third place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)