Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh come on, he's not. No-one who watched Marchisio for Juve can say that he's good on the wing. And that's not only because Juve sucks and Italy are good and have a better coach. It's because it's clear that the boy is a diamond in midfield but below average on the wing, no matter the coach and the team he plays for.
But that's the thing, Alen. Italy don't use him as a winger. He plays on the outside of midfield, that much is true, but he does so the way Perrotta did.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He isn't good there at all, and Lippi deciding upon using him there is quite worrying. I mean, he's basing his decisions off of what Zach did at Juve. Holy shit, that's like trying to play football on a busy interstate.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
I'd love Argentina to win the damn thing.

Don't know if that's considered gloryhunting though. Because apparently, even if you don't tell anybody about it, you still can't like a team. It is forbidden.
So would I, but I was also afraid to admit it for the reason you mentioned above :lol:

We have no freedom of speech here unfortunately

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
He isn't good there at all, and Lippi deciding upon using him there is quite worrying. I mean, he's basing his decisions off of what Zach did at Juve. Holy shit, that's like trying to play football on a busy interstate.
No, he's not. Don't know if you saw any of Italy's friendlies, but their outside midfielders in the system Lippi wants to use don't do what our wingers do. It's a very different type of play and one that suits Marchisio quite well, as Lippi wants him to run into spaces rather than receive the ball on the wing and try to cross.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He is actually. Not when he played for Juventus, but he played there for Italy on several occasions and it was quite the succes. Juventus this past season was going to be tough for any winger, let alone for a guy who isn't used to playing there.
I'll admit I haven't seen him play for Italy in that role too many times. But seriously, he's not a winger. Never was, never will be. Why use a system that requires him to play out wide?

Dumb decision.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
No, he's not. Don't know if you saw any of Italy's friendlies, but their outside midfielders in the system Lippi wants to use don't do what our wingers do. It's a very different type of play and one that suits Marchisio quite well, as Lippi wants him to run into spaces rather than receive the ball on the wing and try to cross.
Well, technically, Marchisio will still have wide duties in that system. I can see it working if you have a very strong left-back who can attack with great ability while Marchisio runs inside, but Criscito doesn't have that.

We'll see how it works, but come on, Marchisio is better in the middle. That's his role.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well, technically, Marchisio will still have wide duties in that system. I can see it working if you have a very strong left-back who can attack with great ability while Marchisio runs inside, but Criscito doesn't have that.

We'll see how it works, but come on, Marchisio is better in the middle. That's his role.
Well he's no winger that much is certain. But I think they could put him on the left and Camo on the right as to have at least some quality in the squad. Benching Marchisio for Pirlo or Montolivo seems like a waste.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well he's no winger that much is certain. But I think they could put him on the left and Camo on the right as to have at least some quality in the squad. Benching Marchisio for Pirlo or Montolivo seems like a waste.
The waste is using a formation suited for wingers by fielding central midfielders out wide.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The waste is using a formation suited for wingers by fielding central midfielders out wide.
Meh, you can't play with 4 central midfielders, someone will have to play out wide somehow. I can see why he would put Marchisio there.

It only shows that Italy don't have enough quality really.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Meh, you can't play with 4 central midfielders, someone will have to play out wide somehow. I can see why he would put Marchisio there.

It only shows that Italy don't have enough quality really.
To fit the system you can see that, sure. But again, why use that system then?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Because it is the best system for the other ten players in the team?
Is it really though?

The back four is fine, no qualms there. But looking at the midfield, does their squad really suit the straight 4-4-2? Not sure if it does.

But anyway, we have seen Marchisio out wide for us, and it's useless. If Criscito can get forward and control the flank himself, then Marchisio can roam inside, which he can do. But if Italy is beaten down the flanks than the bet is off.

I'm not familiar with New Zealand, but using players out of position is nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)