Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2008
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Gila-Iaquinta set for New Zealand[/FONT]
Saturday 19 June, 2010
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The Azzurri are in Nelspruit for tomorrow’s match with New Zealand, as Alberto Gilardino looks set to partner Vincenzo Iaquinta.
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The Italy squad had its final training session in Southdowns College this morning, but Andrea Pirlo and Gianluigi Buffon did not take part due to their injuries.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Goalkeeper Buffon has stayed behind rather than fly to Nelspruit, as he is still suffering from a herniated disc in his back.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The latest indications from training suggest Marcello Lippi will switch to a 4-4-2 system, which proved more effective in the closing stages of the 1-1 draw with Paraguay.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Question marks remain over who will start up front, but Gilardino and Juventus striker Iaquinta appear to be the favourites.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Simone Pepe keeps his spot out wide with Claudio Marchisio moving to the flank from his trequartista role in the 4-2-3-1.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Lippi is effectively retaining the same starting XI that faced Paraguay, but ordering them in a different fashion.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The squad had a look round the Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit this evening and Lippi will hold a Press conference later on.[/FONT]

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
What a ridiculous predictability the Azzurri will suffer from when attacking, if that ever happens with this line-up anyway.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Because Montolivo must play :sergio:

And then when Pirlo comes back..............................................................

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but hasn't he had 2 years to figure this out??

He must be doing this using a dartboard. I can't think of any other legitimate reason.

At least Maradona has an excuse, as he's a mental midget.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't understand why professional managers keep thinking Marchisio is a flank player.
Because he's quite good at it. Sure, it's not his natural position, but he can be quite dangerous from the flank too. Played good games for Italy there in the past too by the way.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If Italy ties tomorrow I will gloryhunt for another team
I'd love Argentina to win the damn thing.

Don't know if that's considered gloryhunting though. Because apparently, even if you don't tell anybody about it, you still can't like a team. It is forbidden.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
They don't think he is a wide player.

They just think he is a good enough player he is still better at playing there than other players at their disposal.
That's a pretty dumb predicament, to use a player out of position just to use a system.

If you don't have the players for it, you don't use the system. Simple enough.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Because he's quite good at it. Sure, it's not his natural position, but he can be quite dangerous from the flank too. Played good games for Italy there in the past too by the way.
Oh come on, he's not. No-one who watched Marchisio for Juve can say that he's good on the wing. And that's not only because Juve sucks and Italy are good and have a better coach. It's because it's clear that the boy is a diamond in midfield but below average on the wing, no matter the coach and the team he plays for.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No, he's not. Didn't you watch Juventus this past year?
He is actually. Not when he played for Juventus, but he played there for Italy on several occasions and it was quite the succes. Juventus this past season was going to be tough for any winger, let alone for a guy who isn't used to playing there.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
That's a pretty dumb predicament, to use a player out of position just to use a system.

If you don't have the players for it, you don't use the system. Simple enough.
This is only happening because Italy looked way better playing 4-4-2 in the last game, but Camoranesi isn't fit to start yet.

I wouldn't do something like this on a longer term basis, but I can understand doing it in a one off game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)