Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (40 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't agree, look at the 2006 winning team and there were many guys in there who were nothing at a young age. Players develope at different stages. And besides, the World Cup is about coming together as a team and getting it right. There were guys in the 2006 team who are not particularly great players individually but all did a job.
It's perhaps true that you wouldn't have said that they were going to be World Cup winners, but I think it was fairly obvious from the start that they were more talented than the young guns Italy have at their disposal right now.

Buffon, Zambrotta (maybe not at this position, but he was a big talent when he was young anyway), Cannavaro, Pirlo (again wasn't really dubbed a big talent at this position, but they dubbed him to become a great trequartista when he was just 18), De Rossi (who was still quite young and very good in 2006), Totti, Del Piero... these are all guys that were considered huge talents before they even turned 20.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We look at players now and see their names and judge accordingly, we can't see into the future. Sure, the guys then were seen as big talents and you can't argue that there are comparable talents right now. But back then (talking 10 years or more ago now) clubs actually let players play at 16, 17, 18. Now players don't get chances so early, this is the biggest problem.

My main point was really that you don't need a 'Golden Generation' to win it, it may be dubbed that afterwards. Even in 2006 with those big names, many didn't see Italy as a winner. Totti was too old, weak left back, inconsistent midfield and lack of goals up front. They pulled together. If an Italy team in the future has guys like Sirigu, Santon, Bonucci, Ranocchia, Marchisio, Balotelli and whoever else comes through then you know there is at least talent in there and the rest is dependant on how they gel.

You could say the same for many international teams. People look at England's U21s and think 'who is going to be the future Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham etc?'. I think in future football more players will break through older. Brilliant talents like Messi, Rooney etc will always come through quickly but more will arrive at 22-24, guys like Lampard, Pirlo, Pedro, Camoranesi, Zambrotta, Ribery. Maybe even our Claudio ;) You can't really judge how guys who look like good players now can turn into very good or great players given the chance.

Mar 9, 2006
FORZA ITALIA!!!!!!VPERED TOVARISHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last news on azzurra formation:
4-3-3
Buffon
Zambrotta - Canna - Chiellini - Bocchetti
De Rossi
Montolivo - Marchisio
Pepe:flag1: :flag1: :flag1: - Pazzini - Iaquinta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)