Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
"Rigore! Rigore! Rigore! Calcio di rigore! Calcio di rigore! Calcio di rigore! (in fact both Beppe Signori and Caressa say that there was no foul, so there you go if you're calling Italians cheaters - "non c'era, no, non c'era").

"Totti contro Schwarzer. FRANCESCOOOOOOO!!!! TO-TTI! TO-TTI! TO-TTI!"

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
That is true though.

I mean, i am not like Andy, you can support any NT you want to support in my book, but how can you say "we" when referring to another country other than your own?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That is true though.

I mean, i am not like Andy, you can support any NT you want to support in my book, but how can you say "we" when referring to another country other than your own?
I use "we" on this forum when speaking about Juventus, but I would never use it in public. I use "we" here, because we're all Juventini.

As for "we" when it comes to Italy.. I would personally never use it. I was in Italy during the World Cup final of 2006 and during the Euros of 2008 and even though I watched the games with Italian friends, I always spoke about "you" or "them". Don't get me wrong, they would have liked me to say "we" and they treat me as if I am an Italian when it comes to football anyway, but "we"... no, I couldn't ever say that.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I use "we" on this forum when speaking about Juventus, but I would never use it in public. I use "we" here, because we're all Juventini.

As for "we" when it comes to Italy.. I would personally never use it. I was in Italy during the World Cup final of 2006 and during the Euros of 2008 and even though I watched the games with Italian friends, I always spoke about "you" or "them". Don't get me wrong, they would have liked me to say "we" and they treat me as if I am an Italian when it comes to football anyway, but "we"... no, I couldn't ever say that.
Clubs do not really represent the cities they are from, that is why clubs have players from all over the world, NT's represent their respective nations though, thats why only players from said nations are allowed to play for their respective NT's.

That in mind, there is nothing wrong imo in saying "we" to refer to Juventus if you are a Juventus supporter.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Clubs do not really represent the cities they are from, that is why clubs have players from all over the world, NT's represent their respective nations though, thats why only players from said nations are allowed to play for their respective NT's.

That in mind, there is nothing wrong imo in saying "we" to refer to Juventus if you are a Juventus supporter.
True, but "nation" is such a vague word anyway. And besides, one could change nationalities too if he wanted.

But the core issue here is that Andy is telling people that you can't support people just because you like them. No, you have to be one of them. And that's where I disagree. You don't have to qualify to be a fan.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003

Okay, I agree, but what about that guy who was born and raised in the US, has lived there his entire life, said he is american anytime but on a football pitch where "he is italian" and he plays for the italian NT only because his parents are italian?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Okay, I agree, but what about that guy who was born and raised in the US, has lived there his entire life, said he is american anytime but on a football pitch where "he is italian" and he plays for the italian NT only because his parents are italian?
What about him? He's sitting at home, sucking his thumb, watching Jersey Shore.

I really do appreciate Lippi much more now that he left that scum off his team. Overall good decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)