Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
IrishZebra,Juve O Curr, mikhail are you heading to croker on saturday for this game should be a cracking atmosphere, i am probably going to go to the away leg of the playoffs as well as long as we dont get russia. a nice trip to croatia or sweden would be ok will have to book quickly after the draw is made before ryanair jack up the prices
150 euro for decent seats, count me OUT. I'll watch in the the local, lamenting the days when i got 12th row seats for 20euro

What the FUCK Kilbane is responsible for us not being top of the group right now :sergio:

Buy on AliExpress.com

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
delap should be in the squad as ireland have no plan b once we go behind and he is as good as most of our midfielders with the added long throws.
:agree:

IrishZebra,Juve O Curr, mikhail are you heading to croker on saturday for this game should be a cracking atmosphere
Nah, I was in Sligo tonight for the Galway Utd game. I couldn't afford/be bothered to go to both. Has it sold out?

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #1,085
    He scored an OG against Bulgaria and then was repsonible for yet another goal aginst Bulgaria.

thats 4 points.
    Didn't know, I didn't watch either game.

Two questions for you Irishmen, first how do you feel about Trappatoni as your coach? And what do you feel your chances of winning in the play offs are? I know it's early to ask without knowing what team you will face but just an early guess

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006

Two questions for you Irishmen, first how do you feel about Trappatoni as your coach? And what do you feel your chances of winning in the play offs are? I know it's early to ask without knowing what team you will face but just an early guess
    In Full support of Trap.

Depends on whether we're seeded or not, we can beat Bosnia, but anyone else and we'll get beaten to a pulp.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #1,090
    Interesting, I think Ireland have a great chance of making it especially with Trap as coach, I just looked over the teams that will likely be in the playoffs and I think Ireland have a fair chance against any of them except maybe France or if Germany gets stuck in the play offs. Anyway good luck to you Irishmen, I will of course be hoping you lose tonight but beat Montenegro

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    In Full support of Trap.

Depends on whether we're seeded or not, we can beat Bosnia, but anyone else and we'll get beaten to a pulp.
    You can beat more teams (2nd placed teams), not just Bosnia, but I can also imagine you being beaten by them, including Bosnia (ex-Yu teams have been a tough nut for your NT, traditionally, and Bosnia has a pretty good team, better than some other 2nd placed teams at the moment, like Slovenia, for example) .

Anyway, as you said, lots depends on the seedings and the teams will be seeded on the basis of the next FIFA World Ranking, which will be published on 16 October.

In this case you stand almost no chance to be seeded.
    No matter who's 2nd placed in group 4 where it's between Germany and Russia, will be seeded in the draws. France from group 7 will be seeded too. If Croatia from group 6 wins the 2nd place, then they'll be seeded too. Then there is the Czech Republic from group 2, that is also better placed than Ireland, but the Czechs still need a lot of work to win the 2nd place.

At the moment these are the 2nd placed teams (Norway won't make it so i won't count them)

1. Sweden
    2. Greece
    3. Slovenia
    4. Russia
    5. Bosnia
    6. Croatia
    7. France
    8. Rep. of Ireland.

Current FIFA rankings:
    6. Russia (Germany is 4th)
    9. Croatia (Ukraine is 25th)
    10. France
    12. Greece (Switzerland is 15th , Latvia 58th, Israel is 22nd)
    38. Republic of Ireland
    41. Sweden (Denmark is 16th, Portugal 17th)
    46. Bosnia and Herzegovina
    54. Slovenia (Czech Republic 18th, Poland 36th, Northern Ireland 31st)

------------
    If you look into it, you'll see that your team's only chance to be seeded is Sweden to win the 2nd place in group 1, Slovenia to win the 2nd place in group 3 and Latvia to win the 2nd place in group 2.

That's almost impossible.

If things stay as they are then one of Russia, France, Croatia and Greece will be Ireland's opponent in the play-offs. I believe that you stand great chances against Greece, it's 50-50 against Croatia and you also stand solid chances against Russia.
    Against France it will be tougher.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    Well i wouldn't bet against Latvia in Greece, the most important games are the ones where Latvia under Starkovs always has played to it's very full potential. In the most recent games we won 1:0 in Israel and Switzerland escaped a loss against us in Riga (2:2).

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Alen, Never underestimate the inadequacies of Irish Footballers :D

This isn't the Holland beaters of '02.

True the formation is better suited overall and we maintain a star player and some good ones, but aside from Greece and Bosnia I can see no other chance, Greece beinga slimmer chance mind you but like I always say without Kilbane we can do anything.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    IrishZebra,Juve O Curr, mikhail are you heading to croker on saturday for this game should be a cracking atmosphere, i am probably going to go to the away leg of the playoffs as well as long as we dont get russia. a nice trip to croatia or sweden would be ok will have to book quickly after the draw is made before ryanair jack up the prices
    I'll be in the Davin Stand with the League of Ireland ticket block. Not a great view from there, and I'm looking forward to the return to Lansdowne Road when it's finished.

Trapattoni has the full support of the vast majority of fans. His critics have harped on about the non-selection of two players, Stephen Ireland, who has indicated that he has no intention to play for us again, and Andy Reid, who doesn't fit his system well and had a minor argument with him in his first squad (something to do with Reid leading some late night partying).

For the most part, Trapattoni has been hailed for bringing back the resilient defence and air of confidence to the team after our previous coach, who's currently managing at the bottom of the 4th flight in England, left the team in a shambles.

As for the playoffs, we'll likely be unseeded, but we're tough to score against now, which bodes well for something like that.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Lansdowne Road

Trapattoni has the full support of the vast majority of fans. His critics have harped on about the non-selection of two players, Stephen Ireland, who has indicated that he has no intention to play for us again, and Andy Reid, who doesn't fit his system well and had a minor argument with him in his first squad (something to do with Reid leading some late night partying).

For the most part, Trapattoni has been hailed for bringing back the resilient defence and air of confidence to the team after our previous coach, who's currently managing at the bottom of the 4th flight in England, left the team in a shambles.

As for the playoffs, we'll likely be unseeded, but we're tough to score against now, which bodes well for something like that.
    Avia :seven:

Everything else :tup:

jaansu

Jul 12, 2002
    Will be in the Davin Stand myself cheering Ireland and Trap, hopefully all the way to South Africa.

Am somewhat puzzeled at the continued ommision of Andy Reid myself, but I haven't got a clue about formations or the like. As for Stephen Ireland, I can't understand why he doesn't want to play for his country. There were rumours of bullying which may or may not be true, but hey I don't think he should rule himself out completely. There are a lot of talented guys who would give their left testicle to play for Ireland so his attitude bemuses me.

Forza Trap!!!!:juventus:

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Am somewhat puzzeled at the continued ommision of Andy Reid myself

As for Stephen Ireland, I can't understand why he doesn't want to play for his country. There were rumours of bullying which may or may not be true.

Forza Trap!!!!:juventus:
    Andy Reid did not go to bed when told by Trap

Ireland won't play because he's a traitorous scumbag. True he was bullied, and I hate bullies, but the guy wore a fucking Hairpiece and drove this:

I'd have done a lot morve than pin him down and take off his hairpiece like Keane and Dunne did.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)