Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
Agreed.

Quite frankly, this is probably the absolute best thing that could have happened to Italy. If this doesn't send a HUGE wake-up call about squad selection, then nothing will. I expect substantial changes - this was a fucking disgusting game.
i think not muich will change, in the end we won(and that will make this game look good)... matarazzi could be back same goes for ambrossini.. i'm really afraid of it... gattuso cassetti barzagli have to leave now.... about toni i'm not sure... again where is our socalled superb youth? if u don't let them play against crypus than against whom should they play?

Sep 14, 2003
Agreed.

Quite frankly, this is probably the absolute best thing that could have happened to Italy. If this doesn't send a HUGE wake-up call about squad selection, then nothing will. I expect substantial changes - this was a fucking disgusting game.
Probably losing would've been better in that respect. Nothing will change though.

The Cypriots were great. They played fast, aggressive football without fear and were tactically superb. We were outplayed.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
No, and then how many games do you think Knezevic will get, compared to Barzagli if he was brought in ;)
:agree:

Also how much of our transfer budget would have went on Barzagli compared to Knezevic ?

I get what Andy wants to say that we shouldn't have bought none of them and we should've bought someone who would have taken (and kept) his place in the starting XI immediately.
But if it's Barzagli or Knezevic then it's Knezevic all the way. As someone who's seen both of them i can say ( i claim actually) that Knezevic is a better defender than Barzagli and yet he's 13 times cheaper than the Italian.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
i think not muich will change, in the end we won(and that will make this game look good)... matarazzi could be back same goes for ambrossini.. i'm really afraid of it... gattuso cassetti barzagli have to leave now.... about toni i'm not sure... again where is our socalled superb youth? if u don't let them play against crypus than against whom should they play?
Obviously only some line-up changes will be enacted against Georgia - the squad is already picked for these matches.

However Rossi and Montolivo are already in. Lippi stated that if they were healthy, they would have been considered for squad selection. If Maggio puts together a solid string of performances, I think he'll be selected. Chiellini will be back by default. That's potentially 4 crucial changes, in my opinion. If you see some continually solid and improving performances by some of the other youth, especially Santacroce, then I think they'll get called up later on in the year as well.

Probably losing would've been better in that respect. Nothing will change though.

The Cypriots were great. They played fast, aggressive football without fear and were tactically superb. We were outplayed.
I disagree. This gives the team three critical points to build with, which will put less pressure on the team later on. That way if some of the youngsters are proving themselves in Serie A, Lippi can give them a chance without putting ridiculous amounts of pressure on them... which wouldn't be the case if Italy was desperate for points to qualify. How can you bring in rookies and expect them to play well in must win games, especially if the media has already created a full blown shitstorm? That wouldn't be fair, and would probably be unsuccessful...

mondo1

May 14, 2006
Obviously only some line-up changes will be enacted against Georgia - the squad is already picked for these matches.

However Rossi and Montolivo are already in. Lippi stated that if they were healthy, they would have been considered for squad selection. If Maggio puts together a solid string of performances, I think he'll be selected. Chiellini will be back by default. That's potentially 4 crucial changes, in my opinion. If you see some continually solid and improving performances by some of the other youth, especially Santacroce, then I think they'll get called up later on in the year as well.

I disagree. This gives the team three critical points to build with, which will put less pressure on the team later on. That way if some of the youngsters are proving themselves in Serie A, Lippi can give them a chance without putting ridiculous amounts of pressure on them... which wouldn't be the case if Italy was desperate for points to qualify. How can you bring in rookies and expect them to play well in must win games, especially if the media has already created a full blown shitstorm? That wouldn't be fair, and would probably be unsuccessful...
hope ur right... rossi and montolivio are great but hopefully they can step it up... chillini back plus maggio would be great... plus some other youngsters as u mentioned santacroce or gio ..

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
Ok let's see...

Cassetti is one of the worst rightbacks I've ever seen.He should be replaced by Maggio.It's a crime to overlook Maggio and convocate Cassetti.

Barzagli sucks balls.He should be replaced by Santacroce.Barzagli is the most overrated defender I've ever seen.

U21 players that should be introduced by Lippi in the future IMO:

Giovinco,Rossi,Marchisio,De Silvestri.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
This game has proved once again that Buffon is worth more than 70 Million Euros.

My ratings:

Buffon: I lost count from the number of saves he's performed tonight. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE. MOM 10000/10
Zambrotta: Decent. Some good runs. Defensively was alright as well. 6.5
Cannavaro: We cannot judge him since this is his first game after the injury, but he looked shaky, out of position and easily passed. Saved italy in one moment 6 (For coming off an injury and saving that ball).
Barzagli: Rubbish. 2
Grosso: Same as Zambrotta though defensively he wasn't that good. I hope its nothing serious6
Camoranesi: Very good performance. Excellent assist with the second goal. He was creative and ran everywhere 7
Pirlo: Was not on top of his game. Nice free Kick in the second half but nothing much 5.5
De Rossi: Poor first half, much better second one after the introduction of Gattusso. 6
Di Natale: Impressive performance. I am not a big fan of his but i was impressed never the less. Nice finish on second goal as well. 7.5
Toni: Tried in the first half but did not run enough. Can't blame him alot because the midfield was not working properly. 5.5
Gilardino: Decent Performance. Looks like he's getting back to his perviously known performances. Nice touch on the second goal. 6.5

Subs:
Cassetti: He is lucky that Barzagli was playing or he would have been flagged worst player of the match. Buffon made a miraculous save just for Cassetti to stand a daydream. 4
Gattusso: SOLID. Gave Italy the missing thing in the midfield that put them back together. If it wasn't for Pirlo's off day Italy would have had a much much better second half. 6.5

Lippi: Decent. I bet he's running through alot of trouble after the mess that Donadoni left behind 6

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I'm still clueless on why players like Dessena, Montolivo, Rossi, Santacroce, and Giovinco don't get their chances in the first team.

Oh I'm sorry.. It's all part of Italy's preservation of youth.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
This game has proved once again that Buffon is worth more than 70 Million Euros.

My ratings:

Buffon: I lost count from the number of saves he's performed tonight. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE. MOM 10000/10
:lol2:

Zambrotta: Decent. Some good runs. Defensively was alright as well. 6.5
Cannavaro: We cannot judge him since this is his first game after the injury, but he looked shaky, out of position and easily passed. Saved italy in one moment 6 (For coming off an injury and saving that ball).
Barzagli: Rubbish. 2
Grosso: Same as Zambrotta though defensively he wasn't that good. I hope its nothing serious6
Camoranesi: Very good performance. Excellent assist with the second goal. He was creative and ran everywhere 7
Pirlo: Was not on top of his game. Nice free Kick in the second half but nothing much 5.5
De Rossi: Poor first half, much better second one after the introduction of Gattusso. 6
Di Natale: Impressive performance. I am not a big fan of his but i was impressed never the less. Nice finish on second goal as well. 7.5
Toni: Tried in the first half but did not run enough. Can't blame him alot because the midfield was not working properly. 5.5
Gilardino: Decent Performance. Looks like he's getting back to his perviously known performances. Nice touch on the second goal. 6.5

Subs:
Cassetti: He is lucky that Barzagli was playing or he would have been flagged worst player of the match. Buffon made a miraculous save just for Cassetti to stand a daydream. 4
Gattusso: SOLID. Gave Italy the missing thing in the midfield that put them back together. If it wasn't for Pirlo's off day Italy would have had a much much better second half. 6.5

Lippi: Decent. I bet he's running through alot of trouble after the mess that Donadoni left behind 6
Thanks for the review. I was busy cursing my computer for the horrible feed from Setanta during the Malta-Portugal match when this was on. :(

Gotta say though, as much as Di Natale has looked like an idiot choice for Euro 2008, the four goals he's scored in the past week have all shown excellent touches and/or moves.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I don't understand how can people blame Donadoni for the bad time Italy has been having lately.
Granted he's not a good coach, but it was obvious, ever since the WC ended, that a decline will follow, no matter who's the coach.
All the world cup heroes were either in their 30's or their late 20's. There wasn't enough quality with the youth ( now there's a talented generation led by Rossi, Giovinco, Balotelli) but after Pirlo's generation (generation 1979) there weren't many quality players in every generation, as it was before.

Italy always produced great defenders but Cannavaro, Nesta and Materazzi are 35,32,35. Zambrotta and Grosso are also in their 30's. Apart from Chiellini, do you see someone who can replace these old players ?
In attack Inzaghi and Del Piero can not offer anything more. Toni is also in his 30's. It's normal for them to start playing bad. Do you see worthy subs ?
There is no replacement for Pirlo and Camoranesi. What about a replacement for Totti ?

Lippi or God himself can not make a world beating squad out of the players Italy has atm.
In few years when the youngsters will mature, i believe Italy will be a force again, but atm they aren't and it's not Donadoni's fault.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
I don't understand how can people blame Donadoni for the bad time Italy has been having lately.
Granted he's not a good coach, but it was obvious, ever since the WC ended, that a decline will follow, no matter who's the coach.
All the world cup heroes were either in their 30's or their late 20's. There wasn't enough quality with the youth ( now there's a talented generation led by Rossi, Giovinco, Balotelli) but after Pirlo's generation (generation 1979) there weren't many quality players in every generation, as it was before.

Italy always produced great defenders but Cannavaro, Nesta and Materazzi are 35,32,35. Zambrotta and Grosso are also in their 30's. Apart from Chiellini, do you see someone who can replace these old players ?
In attack Inzaghi and Del Piero can not offer anything more. Toni is also in his 30's. It's normal for them to start playing bad. Do you see worthy subs ?
There is no replacement for Pirlo and Camoranesi. What about a replacement for Totti ?

Lippi or God himself can not make a world beating squad out of the players Italy has atm.
In few years when the youngsters will mature, i believe Italy will be a force again, but atm they aren't and it's not Donadoni's fault.
i think italy suffer from the lost generation around gila (u21)... noone made it into the senior nt.... toni camo and co are all in the mid 30s...
i think it could also happen to the likes of rossi gio and co if noone gonna support them... the problem here r the clubs like inter and co. they don't support their youth and players get loaned out and r forgotten after some years....italy had ever on of the best u21 or u17 but most of them failed to get into the senior squad...

but still italy could do well in south africa...
apart from some oldies like buffon canna camo maybe pirlo
we have some proven jung players like chillini or de rossi
and the likes of aquiliani montolivio gio rossi and co
we just need to find the right mixture

mondo1

May 14, 2006
Exactly. Italy fans are becoming more and more like England fans.
to be honest donadoni was a shitty coach... even though lippi don't look good now with this side...
but donadonis starting 11 or called up players were all wrong... how can u start a materazzi-barzagli partnership?
he even left grosso on the bench and played with panucci...
maybe don looked more foolished because this squad is finished but he made so many stupid mistakes... it all started with his formation.. italy never had the players to play a 4-3-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)