Obituary: George Best (2 Viewers)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Football legend George Best remains "very seriously ill" despite the easing of internal bleeding he has been suffering, his consultant has said.

"Quite what will happen over the next 24 hours is difficult to say," Professor Roger Williams said.

The ex-Manchester United and Northern Ireland footballer, who is 59, is said to be stable in intensive care.

Best entered Cromwell Hospital in west London three weeks ago. He had a liver transplant in 2002.

His condition worsened significantly on Wednesday, before he spent a more comfortable night.

Prof Williams said the internal bleeding of the bowel was linked to an infection, but the problems were not directly linked to the replacement liver, which is functioning well.

But he has previously said Best is more susceptible to illness due to medication to suppress the immune system and prevent his body rejecting the liver. "All one can say is that the bleeding, we think, is easing, but he is very seriously ill on a ventilator," Prof Williams said.

Best has not been conscious since Wednesday morning, when he was sedated to be put on the machine.

His consultant said he would remain on it "until we are sure that he is breathing on his own".

"You don't have a clear idea when people are as sick as this," he said.

"You go from day to day with all the expertise you can. There is no intention to withdraw the treatment."

Prof Williams said earlier on Thursday Best was "still fighting away, as he always does".

Prayers

Ex-wife Alex Best has said: "I am just praying that, once again, he somehow manages to pull through against all the odds. My thoughts and prayers are with him."

Son Calum, who visited the private hospital on Thursday, earlier told the BBC his father's condition was "touch and go".

Best's agent, Phil Hughes, brought him to Cromwell Hospital earlier this month to be treated for flu-like symptoms including shortness of breath.

The ex-footballer developed a kidney infection and has not left the hospital. He was admitted to intensive care.

Best was arguably the most naturally gifted British footballer of his generation.

He made his professional debut for Manchester United in 1963, aged 17, and helped the club become the first English side to lift the European Cup in 1968.

He was voted both English and European Footballer of the Year that season and also won 37 caps for Northern Ireland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4382654.stm

Buy on AliExpress.com

Amash

Mar 31, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
Augustus Busch, you know the founder of Anheiser Busch, they make Budweiser and some other stuff.
I suppose US Budweiser, not the czech one. Aiiight?

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
He did this to himself...

Alcohol is great, too little alcohol is terrible, too much alcohol fucks you up real bad!

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
I would to survive.
Ah, but you're including situations not in everyday life... If, for example, I am stranded on an island, I might do that to survive.. though I doubt I'd be able to get it down my throat without a coke nearby.. ;)

Apr 12, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Nawaf ] ++

Ah, but you're including situations not in everyday life... If, for example, I am stranded on an island, I might do that to survive.. though I doubt I'd be able to get it down my throat without a coke nearby.. ;)
If by coke you mean Guinness, then yes.

:D

Yo, Dan........

Get this pic of Ollie as your 'Tar:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)