Non-Italian Player Limit (1 Viewer)

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Everyone seems to think that Juventus will get Emerson, Rosicky, Jankulovski, etc... Add these players to usual starters such as Nedved, Trez, Thuram. I was just wondering how many international players are allowed on the pitch?

You guys know what I mean right? :confused:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
There are no problems with Jank, Trez, Thuram and Nedved cause they're all EU nationals. Current limitations apply non-EU citizens. So as long as legislation does not change, there's not much to worry about.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
funny you mention that because the italian federation want to introduce a limit again due to italy's poor performances in the euro.

back in the 80's and early 90's, a limit of 3 on the field at any given time was the limit i think. serie A was at its best then and the national team was packed with superstars and the team was a lot better back then.

what i fail to see is this limit be introduced next season. how can the big clubs buy and sell so many players off in one season to try and fit the limit. i think they were going to have only 9 in the squad. thats not a lot for the big clubs in italy.

but then again, it does give the likes of maresca, miccoli, gasbaronni, blasi and so on a better chance as they dont have to compete with the likes of emerson and so on.

its funny how they blame having too many foreingers in Serie A as being the main problem for italy not doing well. forget that coach had enough players to choose from before the tournament to fill 2 world class sides.:D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
The reason that was fine in the 80s is that other countries did the same. Can you imagine limiting non-Italian players in clubs now, while Spain, England, and any other league with a bit of money were still trying hard to get the best foreign talent. I can't see Italian teams having significant success at club level with that kind of handycap - either one or two teams would wind up dominating, or else the talent would be spread too thin to allow consistant success.

Loppan

Jul 13, 2002
They are about to reduce the foreigner limit now. I guess it is the bad result that the italian NT has done over the years that makes these changes.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
The thing is, the Italian star players are every bit as good as the Portugese, Czech, Greek or Dutch ones, and their strength in depth is just mad. The problem isn't with the number of players, so this just won't help. :undecide:

Aug 1, 2003
No, it isn't rumours, FIGC is really considering it. If they DO limit it, I wonder what's the maximum numbers of foreign players allowed? In a way it's good to make way for more Italians though I think the current ones are enough (our failures were not due to 'lack of players', we had many talents like Gilardino etc IMO)

But if they DO limit it wouldn't it be a bit unwise for popularity and marketing's sake? Fans have the tendency to support clubs who have their national players... Like if a malaysian joins Juventus the whole country would support Juve. One foreign player in a team can change the team's popularity, especially if we have players like Nedved etc, I read that the rates of Juve fans at Czech Rep got higher since he joined us

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I don't like the idea at all, and what I like even less is how quickly they plan on implementing it. As someone already mentioned, it's not going to be easy for the clubs to get rid of their non-Italian players and buy more Italian players just like that. They need more time. If the FIGC are indeed going to enforce this rule they should enlighten the clubs now but start it next season so that the managements have the necessary time to organise out-going transfers, etc.

Len

Feb 13, 2004
I reckon its a stupid idea to limit foreign players.....seriously, these foreign stars make Calcio more interesting.....

MissSIXTY

May 15, 2004
I heard some details:
starting from season 2006-2007,FIGC will force the clubs to have a half italians and half Foreginers on the pitch.

from this season statistics,AC Milano had not met the standards in around 16-17 matches,and uh...INter,OMG,34 total,

if this will come true,let's just call it "the kick Inter'ass Rule"

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by MissSIXTY ] ++
I heard some details:
starting from season 2006-2007,FIGC will force the clubs to have a half italians and half Foreginers on the pitch.

from this season statistics,AC Milano had not met the standards in around 16-17 matches,and uh...INter,OMG,34 total,

if this will come true,let's just call it "the kick Inter'ass Rule"
I am loving it. :D

So you said it's half-Italian, half-foreign? What about EU-citizens?

reneu

Jul 2, 2004
I really doubt that this limitation would make the squadra azzura better, they search for the answers of their problems in the wrong places!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)