No Davids for Oranje against England (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
VAN BASTEN REMAINS MISTERIOUS

Things are continuously on the move at the Dutch National Team since Marco van Basten took over. No player is secure of his position and everyone who performs well has a shot of making it to the highest level of Dutch football.

"If you play well, I'll select you", Van Basten explains, "If a player is injured, I don't go fiddling with the 4-3-3 formation that is the very heart of our football culture, instead I look through the Eredivisie for the next best player. It's really quite simple, we have enough talent in our country"

Pierre van Hooijdonk, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Arjen Robben have all been left out compared to the previous squad that faced Andorra for the WC qualifiers in November. All of them are injured.

Edgar Davids has not been called on due to his recent loss of form, the same goes for AZ player Barry van Galen.

Defenders Nigel de Jong and Jan Kromkamp return while AZ keeper Henk Timmer and SC Heerenveen winger Ugur Yildirim make their debut.

The full squad:

GOAL: Edwin van der Sar (Fulham, England), Henk Timmer (AZ Alkmaar).

DEFENCE: Khalid Boulahrouz (Hamburger SV, Germany), Wilfred Bouma (PSV Eindhoven), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona, Spain), Nigel de Jong (Ajax), Johnny Heitinga (Ajax), Jan Kromkamp (AZ Alkmaar), Joris Mathijsen (AZ Alkmaar), Mario Melchiot (Birmingham City, England).

MIDFIELD: Mark van Bommel (PSV Eindhoven), Denny Landzaat (AZ Alkmaar), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax), Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax).

FORWARDS: Romeo Castelen (Feyenoord), Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord), Roy Makaay (Bayern Munchen, Germany), Ugur Yildirim (SC Heerenveen).

Source: www.vi.nl

--------------------

Well I'm just happy Heitinga is back and likely to start :extatic:

Another thing that Marco van Basten is reponsible for is the great amount of Eredivisie players in the NT. I think that's quite a good development and it's a good thing AZ Alkmaar are being rewarded for their outstanding play and 2nd division in the league.

ALSO: After Thierry Henry put in a request at the Dutch FA that the Dutch NT would support his anti-racism efforts, the Dutch NT will be playing a black and white outfit in their match against England on February 9 (not too sure about the date, but it's in that area).

If I had to guess, I'd say this would be the formation:

-----------------Van der Sar-----------------
--Kromkamp---De Jong--Heitinga---Mathijsen--
------Sneijder---Van Bommel---Landzaat------
-Yildirim------------Makaay-----Van der Vaart-

But Van Basten is a big mistery. I could never be sure.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #3
    INTRODUCING THE AZ DELEGATION

Well all the players in the NT have their reputation throughout Europe, except those who have joined from Alkmaar. Here's an introduction of keeper Henk Timmer, defenders Jan Kromkamp and Joris Mathijsen and midfielder Denny Landzaat.

HENK TIMMER
    Name: Henk Timmer
    Postion: Goalkeeper
    Team: AZ Alkmaar
    Previous teams: PEC Zwolle, Ajax, Feyenoord
    Date of birth: 3 December 1971
    Place of birth: Hierden, Netherlands
    Strong points: Cat-like reactions, leading capabilities
    For a photo, click here.

JAN KROMKAMP
    Name: Jan Kromkamp
    Postion: (Right-) Defender
    Previous teams: Go Ahead Eagles, AGOVV Apeldoorn
    Date of birth: 17 August 1980
    Place of birth: Makkinga, Netherlands
    Strong points: Stealing the ball and going forward
    For a photo, click here.

JORIS MATHIJSEN
    Name: Joris Mathijsen
    Postion: Defender
    Previous teams: Willem II Tilburg
    Date of birth: 5 April 1980
    Place of birth: Goirle, Netherlands
    Strong points: Total view of the game, defending at dead-play situations
    For a photo, click here.

DENNY LANDZAAT
    Name: Denny Landzaat
    Postion: Attacking Midfielder
    Previous teams: Ajax, MVV Maastricht, Willem II Tilburg
    Date of birth: 6 May 1976
    Place of birth: Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Strong points: Razor sharp passes, distance shots, free kicks
    For a photo, click here.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
    Oct 27, 2004
    precisely Bürke haha :D and Stam will eat Rooney alive, as a preview of what's gonna happen to him when they play in the CL later ;)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    The rule still stands: trade a player to Inter, and they will be summarily booted out of their NT starting role due to bad form. :D

Apr 12, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by David Del Piero ] ++
    precisely Bürke haha :D and Stam will eat Rooney alive, as a preview of what's gonna happen to him when they play in the CL later ;)
    Could not agree more.

I hope Rooney eats Stam alive, then gets stomach cancer from ingesting a person, then Rooney subsiquently DIES!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Sweet, FSW are showing this game live on Wednesday. I hope Holland shows England how to play football. I also hope Rooney tries to mouth off to Heitinga, and then the latter makes Wayne's face look more pleasent after just one kick of the foot.

Apr 12, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    Sweet, FSW are showing this game live on Wednesday. I hope Holland shows England how to play football. I also hope Rooney tries to mouth off to Heitinga, and then the latter makes Wayne's face look more pleasent after just one kick of the foot.
    More like a Helghast secondary fire to the face.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #17
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++
    I might be the only one, but Holland seems pretty weak to me.
    Then you have a totally wrong image of Holland. Cause your statement implies we were strong at some point in recent history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)