News that makes you say WTF! (22 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
"Jennifer Loubriel is a Contributing Writer for Everyday Feminism and a mixed race Afro-Puerto Rican from the Bronx. She is also a queer mujerista and child abuse survivor. She earned her B.A. from Oberlin College in Religion and English, and identifies as an amateur Latinx ethicist and a speculative fiction enthusiast. She is a co-founder and moderator over at the Tumblr Women of Color, in Solidarity, a safe space for and by women of color. You can usually find her writing about apocalypse and diaspora, rewatching her favorite TV shows, or taking selfies with her family’s cat."

Alright.

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
So she has a a high amount of oppression points. insane how that's become like some kind of credentials these days

mixed race queer identifying mujerista abuse survivor...its a good thing that cant fit on her license plate

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
So she has a a high amount of oppression points. insane how that's become like some kind of credentials these days

mixed race queer identifying mujerista abuse survivor...its a good thing that cant fit on her license plate
Just looked this up, first result :lol:

http://users.drew.edu/aisasidi/Definition1.htm

- - - Updated - - -

I'm shocked :groan:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/attempted-abduction-case-brooklyn-falls-article-1.2542345

It really is sad though how many of these people never get the justice they deserve because everything gets swept under the rug in the name of their religion and community.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
can you check more boxes on the oppression list than her? Cause if she outranks you, your feelings are invalid
not even gonna try :lol: seriously, this site is full of bullshit.

how about this poor girl. she basically had to cut of her dreadlocks because she isn't black.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/white-feminist-with-dreadlocks/

I learned more about the history and symbolism of dreadlocks in the US in context to black folk’s resistance movements against white supremacy. I learned that black folks in the US with dreadlocks are not seen as “quirky” or “alternative,” but as “dangerous” and “militant”.

The Harmful Messages I Was Sending to the World as a White Woman with Dreadlocks:

It finally became clear to me that by wearing my hair in dreadlocks as a white person, the nonverbal statements I was making to folks of color were:

“Look! I can reject all of mainstream society’s expectations of me and still be treated with more respect than you!”
here i am. a pale white chauvinist pig, thinking so what? we are in 2016. wear your
god damn hair however you like. it's just hair ffs.

...enough to lable me a insensitive racist i guess.

she wanted to keep her dreads at first...but her friends convinced her to get rid of em.

3. “Nobody can control me! I do what I want!”

To which my friends responded:

…and you know what? You’re white, so it makes complete sense that you’d feel that way.
4. “By wearing dreadlocks, I’m giving up my white privilege to stand in solidarity with POC.”

To which my friends responded:

You are an oppression tourist – a white girl who always has an escape route back to the open arms of white supremacy once she is through rebelling. You can cut them off anytime.
how the fuck is that not racist by their fucked up standards?

I finally cut them off – and when I did, I felt (literally and figuratively) a dozen pounds lighter.
Though I am still pretty “alternative” looking, I’ve learned to stand up against systems of oppression
standing up? isn't it bending over? :sergio:

nuke this site. NUKE IT.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

how about this poor girl. she basically had to cut of her dreadlocks because she isn't black.

here i am. a pale white chauvinist pig, thinking so what? we are in 2016. wear your

she wanted to keep her dreads at first...but her friends convinced her to get rid of em.

how the fuck is that not racist by their fucked up standards?

standing up? isn't it bending over? :sergio:

nuke this site. NUKE IT.
OR we all throw in 10 euro and buy their domain name. Then we change it to everydayselfish. That's pretty much the site, a bunch of over sheltered girls writing about how their problems are more important that the rest of the world.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
honestly I assume anyone i meet who has dreads is an idiot
As someone who used to frequent a bit of a goth scene some years ago I really wouldn't go that far, but it shows you the stigma towards it. It's not a very professional look, but not everyone is a professional. Not too long ago you wouldn't have been able to look like hipsters do in many workplaces, or you'd be ridiculed.

But yeah, I suppose you can easily get away with dreads if you have an outdoors, self-employed career or are a skater or surfer :D

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
@swag
So, the HRD minister (in charge of education, universities and such) gave a passionate speech about the JNU anti-nationalism issue and the Dalit suicide from a few weeks ago, in the parliament yesterday. A left leaning newspaper had this as the headline today. I can see why it's offensive, but the pun game is too strong on this one :D. If you didn't know, the minister is a former soap opera star.

aunty-national.jpg

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

As I've said all along, every time a woman gets a perm, it's "cultural appropriation".

Or as another friend of mine put it 25 years ago: "One man's threat is another man's hairdo."

icemaη;5207512 said:
@swag
So, the HRD minister (in charge of education, universities and such) gave a passionate speech about the JNU anti-nationalism issue and the Dalit suicide from a few weeks ago, in the parliament yesterday. A left leaning newspaper had this as the headline today. I can see why it's offensive, but the pun game is too strong on this one :D. If you didn't know, the minister is a former soap opera star.

aunty-national.jpg
India reminds me more of 'Merica every day.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
As someone who used to frequent a bit of a goth scene some years ago I really wouldn't go that far, but it shows you the stigma towards it. It's not a very professional look, but not everyone is a professional. Not too long ago you wouldn't have been able to look like hipsters do in many workplaces, or you'd be ridiculed.

But yeah, I suppose you can easily get away with dreads if you have an outdoors, self-employed career or are a skater or surfer :D
I understand if youre a teenager but if youre mid 20s or above then it just seems kinda weird. Perhaps im biased cause of the type of people i meet out here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)