Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2015
I mostly appreciate your posts, but what is it you see in Bentancur?
He has a lot of good qualities. Good on the ball, moves around well and can tackle too. In my opinion most of his good qualities are with the ball and he's that kind of slippery player that once he starts believing more in himself can just glide past people. He doesn't have much going in terms of end product and he makes too many stupid decisions on the pitch, but I think overall he has a lot to work with.

Will he ever be able to consistently showcase those qualities is still unclear, but I'd personally be slightly disappointed in him if in a couple of years he hasn't been able to become a full-time starter here.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
it's not like there's a million options atm. from those that seem available, Sarri ranks pretty highly in my list. would be way more worried if we signed Gasp/Inzaghi/Miha, that road is next to Inter 2010
Which brings us back start of the discussion, why make a change when there is no solution or when the solution is much worse. Also Sarri is in the same package of those you mentioned, the loser package.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
He has a lot of good qualities. Good on the ball, moves around well and can tackle too. In my opinion most of his good qualities are with the ball and he's that kind of slippery player that once he starts believing more in himself can just glide past people. He doesn't have much going in terms of end product and he makes too many stupid decisions on the pitch, but I think overall he has a lot to work with.

Will he ever be able to consistently showcase those qualities is still unclear, but I'd personally be slightly disappointed in him if in a couple of years he hasn't been able to become a full-time starter here.
I think he would do well as a DM/Regista with two more talented technical players as btb mids. A Savic-Bentancur-Ramsey mid could be good for him. Give him a Busquets role in the team, were he is responsible for covering the defense, and keep the ball moving. He has sufficient technic to play that role, with a good first touch, nice turns with the ball, and he is quite good defensively.
He is never going to be good enough in a btb role. Simply dont have the end product.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
That's good. They only ever report things that are based in as close to fact as possible.

I think getting rid of Sarri after 1 year when they got CL football and a possible Europa League would be retarded but they are retarded so...
Actually it only means we have to pay his buy out if we want him, something I can see us doing.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I think he would do well as a DM/Regista with two more talented technical players as btb mids. A Savic-Bentancur-Ramsey mid could be good for him. Give him a Busquets role in the team, were he is responsible for covering the defense, and keep the ball moving. He has sufficient technic to play that role, with a good first touch, nice turns with the ball, and he is quite good defensively.
He is never going to be good enough in a btb role. Simply dont have the end product.
I think his position is clear, it's DM/regista.

A lot of his qualities are surplus for that position but not good enough for B2B.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
I think his position is clear, it's DM/regista.

A lot of his qualities are surplus for that position but not good enough for B2B.
I dont necessarily think that his burst of speed is surplus, if that is what you are refering to. It helps him have a little bit of extra time on the ball, and at the same time he does not get overrun when we are caught on the break.

ColloRosso

Jul 16, 2018
Despite all the good work he's done with Napoli, I get major Del Neri vibes with Sarri.

I mean Del Neri at a point achieved some really good things at smaller teams like getting a relegation side like Chievo to CL playoff rounds or 4th with Samp.

Even though Sarri has done a good job with Napoli challenging us for the last 3 years in the title race, still we can't ignore the fact that he's 60 and this is the biggest club he will be managing in his career who demand winning all the time. I still remember in his first press conference with Chelsea, where he stated he wanted to win 'something' with the club. His speeches and his interviews doesn't exude that winning mentality. And his infamous (lack of) squad rotation is another genuine cause for concern.

I can certainly understand why people don't want him here even while looking at his positive work he's done at his previous clubs. `

I do know he will bring something different with his style of footie which is something I'd like forward to, but at the end of the day winning matters more and there leaves a big question mark. I expect competition to be a lot tougher next season especially with Conte taking charge of Inter. Even leaving the league aside, with a limited time frame we've got with Ronaldo, is he the man to lead us to CL ? I'm really not so sure tbh.

Sarri is a glorified Del Neri.

Mou left Porto for Chelsea with 2 back to back Championships, a UEFA and a Champions League.

Del Neri was appointed as a replacement in Porto.

Porto lost even the League after being European Champions.

Cannot be only a coincidence.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
I dont necessarily think that his burst of speed is surplus, if that is what you are refering to. It helps him have a little bit of extra time on the ball, and at the same time he does not get overrun when we are caught on the break.
Basically I think his dribbling is good enough to break a forward pressing him but not good enough to break the defensive line, in the final 3rd.
His sprint speed is good enough to stop counters but not good enough to put him in position to score goals. For example, to attack vacated areas by our striker (like Vidal did).
His passing and first touch is good enough to make safe, short passes. But not good enough to set up goals in tight spaces, in the final 3rd.
His anticipation and quickness is good enough when he has players in front of him and he can see the play. But when he has to press high in lots of empty space, perhaps he's not quick enough.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Gasperini can't get away from that 5 game "failure" at Inter. If he never took that job, I think he would be held in much higher regard. I'm not sure what there isn't to like about his tenure at Atalanta. They play "good" football, they press, they score and defend. And he got a good result in the end.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004

Thanks. I see the slippery dribble he has, but hasnt done it much since his early days.
Besides that I dont see that much upside to his game. His age gives him the benefit of the doubt. But he seems to fade instead of progress. That early enthusiasm that gave him energy is gone.
He’s tall, but not exactly strong.
His passing is always sloppy. Always just behind the target.
Takes Ages to make a decision. Im afraid he’s just not the most smart or clever player.

Well see who’s right in a few years. Granted, its easier to bet against a player than for him.

fredrik

Aug 7, 2011
Seems to fucking unlikely to get rid of allegri for sarri and co. Either pep or pochetino. Juve is as big and attractive as they come, and pochetino has achevied the best he will with this tottenham. They will not be this lucky in 30y and he knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 153)