New German Era after Klinsi---this is an interesting article (1 Viewer)

OP
sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #23
    Well 1-0 to germany, i think Ireland played very and fought hard..so good on them and were unlucky to conceed.

Anyway from a germany point of view, i think the team created alot of chances and thats always good. The understanding between the team wasnt as much as i wanted it to be. As there weren't a lot of stringed passes.

A good point from the game has to be the defence, as it was solid against some very good attacks from the Irish players.

Low should work the set pieces as there were many wasted corners.

Best on ground for Germany was Bernd Schneider , who played a very good game.Ballack didnt have a very good game.

Just one thing, i watched the game on ESPN and Tommy Smyth was always saying that Ballack is the only star name from that Roster.I wanted to point out that Germany did so well in the WC becuz this German team relies on a team effort not an individual efforts.

Anyway i think this would be an interesting group, especially with Wales there and the Czechs ofcourse.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
    shay given was outstanding in goal especially a suberb save fro klose header he is one of the most under rated keepers in the world.

irelands back four did good enough with richard dunne the best while steve finnan more cofortable at right back had a difficult evening at left back as damien duff on the left wing often lost possession in irelands half and any times hefailedto track back leaving finnan out numbered 2 to1.

in midfield s reid worked tirelessly and one tunderous free kick nearly knocked lehman over with k doyle almost getting the rebound.

but it was at centre field where ireland were brutal kilbane worked hard but lacks the quality and o'shea was never inthe game and should have been replaced by kavanagh.

duff was lazy tracking back and below his best yet he showed moentsof true class and any player was going to create an equaliser it was him so i was surprised to see hi subed in the 76th min although maybe it will wake hi up and he will perform better in future.

the front two worked hard with doyle out doing the more illustrious keane.

i thought staunton subs were the wrong calls it was the centre mid the needed changing.

after the germans scored ireland should have changed tactics and pushed duff up beside keane and play off doyle as the two german centre halves looked shaky under pressure.

r dunne prob should have done better with an injury time header over the bar that would have snatched an undeserved point for the irish.

the german goal forma free kick was lucky as podolski effort was going wide only to be deflected in by robbie keane to the opposite bottom corner.

the irish wall was poorly positioned and should have had a few extra people in it.

man of the match had to be shay given followed closely by frings and schneider.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #25
    agreed abt Dunne and Shy Given.Given was great and everyone underestimates wat he does for the Magpies day in day out.

Dunne played superbly and kept the WC top scorer quiet. Dunne is a tough defender, just saw him the weekend ago when his team beat Arse-Anal.

Good signs for Ireland :tup:

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #26
    GERMANY GOING FOR GOALS IN SAN MARINO

Germany needed a slice of fortune to secure three points against Republic of Ireland in the opening game of their Euro 2008 qualifying campaign - but they will expect to bulge their goals-for column when they play San Marino on Wednesday in their second Group D fixture.

Lukas Podolski was credited with the goal that saw off the Irish 1-0 in Stuttgart on Saturday, although his strike took a huge deflection off the heel of Robbie Keane before finding its way into the net.

They should not have to rely on such luck against their next opponents, who have yet to open their qualifying campaign.

Podolski and fellow strike partner Miroslav Klose could have a field day up front for the team who finished third in the World Cup, but midfielder Michael Ballack is refusing to take anything for granted against the pool's minnows.

"To be honest, we don't know too much about them at all," said the Chelsea star. "But it would be very dangerous to underestimate them.

"In the qualifying campaign, all that matters is a win. We have to play with the same attitude we did against Ireland."

Germany carved out a number of decent opportunities at the weekend, but will still count themselves fortunate to have come away with the victory.

With Ireland, Wales and Cyprus all having the day off, the game between Slovakia and the Czech Republic is the only other one to take place on Wednesday.

The two countries have met just four times since going their separate ways in 1993, having been joined together as Czechoslovakia for the previous seven decades.

The pair got off to ideal starts to their respective campaigns, the Slovaks beating Cyprus 6-1 and the Czechs seeing off Wales 2-1.

David Lafata was the hero for the Czech Republic, the substitute scoring the winner with 90 seconds left to add to his opener 12 minutes earlier.

Slovakia, meanwhile, had no problems defeating the Cypriots, Filip Sebo netting a brace to take his record to five goals in just two internationals.

Midfielder Marek Mintal acknowledges Wednesday's game will be a much tougher test.

"Six goals were the best warm-up for Wednesday, but we must be careful," he said. "The Czechs belong in a totally different footballing category to Cyprus."

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #27
    Germany's new coach Joachim "Jogi" Low has told in-form Werder Bremen midfielder Tim Borowski that he is guaranteed a place in the starting formation for the Euro 2008 qualifier at San Marino.

Borowski had mostly been forced to come off the bench during the reign of Low's predecessor Jurgen Klinsmann and also failed to make the starting XI when Low kicked off his campaign with a hard-fought 1-0 home win over Republic of Ireland.

"Tim has trained very well over the past days and he will certainly start, although I still don't know yet who has to make room for him," declared Low ahead of the game against the European minnows.

"We want to win and we are going to win. I am absolutely sure that we won't embarrass ourselves," stressed Low, who will hope that a win with a high margin could help his team to claim first spot in Group D.

The Germans are without a couple of defenders as Per Mertesacker and Christoph Metzelder, who featured during the World Cup, and Robert Huth and Jens Nowotny are not fit to start.

But Mainz star Manuel Friedrich and Hertha Berlin's Arne Friedrich will be given another chance to prove their class after not conceding a goal against Steve Staunton's team last week.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #28
    Germany boss Joachim Low has named three uncapped players in his 22-man squad for next month's internationals against Georgia and Slovakia.

Werder Bremen defender Clemens Fritz (pictured), Hamburg midfielder Piotr Trochowski and Alemannia Aachen striker Jan Schlaudraff have all earned call-ups to the German squad after impressive starts to the season with their clubs.

Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann and Chelsea midfielder Michael Ballack are also included in Low's squad for the October 7 friendly against Georgia and the Euro 2008 qualifier away to Slovakia.

Lehmann will be rested for the Georgia friendly in Rostock, as Low will take a closer look at Hannover's Robert Enke and Stuttgart's Timo Hildebrand.

Germany have started their Euro 2008 qualifying campaign in fine form, but Low will be without several members of Germany's World Cup squad for the trip to Slovakia.

Christoph Metzelder, Jens Nowotny, Robert Huth, Per Mertesacker, Gerald Asamoah, Sebastian Kehl, and Tim Borowski are all currently sidelined with injury problems.

Germany squad:

Jens Lehmann (Arsenal), Timo Hildebrand (Stuttgart), Robert Enke (Hannover); Malik Fathi, Arne Friedrich (both Hertha Berlin), Manuel Friedrich (FSV Mainz), Clemens Fritz (Werder Bremen), Marcell Jansen (Borussia Monchengladbach), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Alexander Madlung (Wolfsburg); Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen), Thomas Hitzlsperger (Stuttgart), David Odonkor (Real Betis), Bernd Schneider (Bayer Leverkusen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Piotr Trochowski (Hamburg); Mike Hanke (Wolfsburg), Miroslav Klose (Werder Bremen), Oliver Neuville (Borussia Monchengladbach), Lukas Podolski (Bayern Munich), Jan Schlaudraff (Alemannia Aachen)

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #29
    Now Marcell Jansen is injured.I dont think that Jogi will call up new players but certainly that backline is suffering.

I guess we will see Fathi played in LB or mybe Lahm going there and mybe Fritz getting a nod.
    I dont think he wants to break the Fredirich brothers partnership in the middle by moving Arne to the right.

In the midfield it will be the same 4 players(Ballack,Frings,schneider,schweni) and Hitzelperger getting mybe 30-20 mins with Odonkor.
    And the exciting Torchowski.Will be interesting to see how he does

upfront Klose-Poldi, i am interested in seeing Hanke get there as he is a very good player.Schlaudraff is good in the air and fast, so we will see if he gets his debut.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #32
    yeah but wats with their hands,especially Lehmann in the 2nd one ? why is it like they r doing something like Fung Shi.

anyway i found it amusing :D

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    Just finished watching the Germany Georgia game and it was a very good game from both sides as the Georgians had some very good chances in the First half.

The team looked very well, even though there were some mishaps in the back line between the two Fredirich brothers.

the debutants looked very good especially Torchowski, who is such a great talent.Played in the middle of the park and really impressed. He will be something for the future.
    Fritz was solid, didnt offer much going forward.But i've seen him going forward in Bremen and he looked good.But he had a good display overall.

Schlaudraff looks like a very good talent as well.Fast, powerful and always looks to link up with the players around him.

Fathi-had one run on that left side and looked good.The way he handles the ball shows that he has some talents.

Madlung-a big man in defense.Wasnt on much.

Abt some other players-

Podolski- Apparently his switch for Bayern was the wrong move as he had didnt have the best of games. Bad shots, runs and he looked like a little kid lashing out on the Georgian player and got sent off. He needs to get his Act together.

Mike Hanke-Opposite to Poldi he is having a great time.Scored against the Giant Bayern Munich on the weekend and had a very good game last nite.Although he didnt score and should've scored. But he wasnt playing regularly for Germany for a while now, but imo he did very well especially setting up the players around him.

Ballack did well even though he had to drop a bit to give some room for Torchowski.But he did well and scored.

Hitzelperger- Although he has the physical attributes to be an LB, i dont think he should be playing there. He has the vision to be playing in the midfield as well as the hardwork and the passing range.

anyway it will be interesting to see whether the "honeymoon" would be over in the next game away to Slovakia.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #34
    BERLIN, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Joachim Loew has helped Germans quickly forget the shock departure of Juergen Klinsmann after the World Cup with the best start any coach has had in the country's history.

Germany's 2-0 victory against Georgia on Saturday was their fourth straight under Loew, who succeeded Klinsmann after the World Cup finals where the hosts finished third.

'What makes me happy is that in these last four matches we've shown that we were not only able to play well at the tournament but also kept going strong right after that,' Loew said after the win in a friendly against Georgia at Rostock.

Germany have won four straight and outscored opponents 19-0 since Loew took over.

'What makes me happy is that we're still playing attacking football and are always able to score,' added Loew, Klinsmann's assistant the last two years who had lingered in the shadow of the popular one-time Germany striker until he was promoted.

'It's very satisfying to me,' said Loew, who had only a modest playing career but has now entered German Football Association (DFB) records with the most successful start. Loew is only the 10th coach Germany has had since 1923.

'We're going to make mistakes,' he added. 'But the great start after the World Cup shows we have first-rate players.'

Germany have played all but two of their 16 matches in 2006 at home and Loew will hope that strong run can continue on the road when they travel to Bratislava for a Euro qualifier on Wednesday against Group D rivals Slovakia.

Slovakia, who beat Germany 2-0 in Bratislava 13 months ago, crushed Wales 5-1 on Saturday.

Loew, clearly more concerned about Slovakia than Georgia, rested regulars Miroslav Klose, Philipp Lahm, Bernd Schneider, Torsten Frings and goalkeeper Jens Lehmann. Defenders Per Mertesacker and Christoph Metzelder were out due to injuries.

'We used a lot of young players and they performed well,' said Loew, who started newcomers Piotr Trochowski of Hamburg SV and Werder Bremen's Clemens Fritz.

Trochowski was especially impressive in midfield, constantly causing problems for Georgia's well-packed defence.

'Trochowski had an enormous match and really made his mark,' said Loew of the 22-year-old.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #35
    Lukas Podolski was delighted to be able to ram the critics' words back down their throats with a brace of goals in Germany's 4-1 win over Slovakia.

With the player struggling to establish himself as a first team regular at Bayern Munich, and having been dismissed in his previous international appearance, the critics have been sharpening their knives, but Podolski returned to form in Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier.

Michael Ballack and Bastian Schweinsteiger were also on target as the Germans maintained their 100 percent start to Group D.

The emphatic victory over opponents who trounced Wales 5-1 just five days previously confirmed an impressive start to the reign of new coach Joachim Low and confounded the critics.

"A lot of experts said it would be difficult to keep this good run up after the World Cup. We've proven in the last five matches we were able to do just that. We played a super match and deserved to win 4-1," said Podolski.

"I've said all along it doesn't interest me at all what happens off the pitch. What's important is what happens on the pitch. The rest doesn't mean a damn thing."

Low was also pleased by his side's performance which he claimed was a joy to behold, even if he admits the second half display left room for improvement.

Low said: "We had a very good first half. We controlled the match and were able to make our mark. It was a joy to watch the way the energy was flowing. We proved that we can stand up to a strong opponent away as well.

"It was difficult to keep up that high level in the second half. We were a bit careless but what was good was the way we reacted after they scored their goal. We bounced right back and got a fourth.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #36
    German legend Franz Beckenbauer has heaped praise on the current national team following their convincing 4-1 win in Slovakia.

An impressive first-half showing laid the foundation for the victory in Bratislava on Wednesday, and the Kaiser now thinks that Joachim Low's team is the best in Europe.

"I wouldn't like to talk of winning Euro 2008, as it's much too early for that," he told Bild.

"But on the other hand I see how other major nations are struggling and at the moment we are miles ahead of the rest.

"Everything has just clicked into place and you can feel the joy that our players are experiencing playing for their country."

Beckenbauer added that he felt that the team could become even better under Low's leadership.

"We are playing at a constantly high level - we haven't seen performances like this for many years.

"I think we could get even better. At the World Cup we presented a real will to win and now we have managed to move up a level as far as skill is concerned.

a few months ago he said this squad is not good enough.Now with the same squad he says otherwise.

anyway i dont think this German team has been really tested.So we will wait for the Czech Rep. game then asses the situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)