New German Era after Klinsi---this is an interesting article (1 Viewer)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Behind The Wall: Flight Of A Charlatan The Bundesliga is back, Klinsmann is gone, and Brian O'Driscoll returns with his weekly take on the German game.

Flight of a Charlatan

After the euphoria of the national team’s summer endeavours and the departures of Jürgen Klinsmann and Michael Ballack, all eyes turn to the start of the Bundesliga on a week that saw German players dominate the Footballer of the Year award.

First to the national team and the impact of a semi-final appearance at the World Cup. As predicted here by your overworked scribe, Germany did indeed make the last four of a competition that they could never truly hope to win. As also predicted here, England were touted as favourites and still blew up before the redoubtable hosts got into second gear.

Putting my cards on the table, let’s make no bones about it: it was no big deal for Germany to make the semis. Costa Rica, Poland, Ecuador, and Sweden provided the kind of mediocre opposition that hosts invariably seem to hurdle with little difficulty. Defeating Argentina was an achievement, but only in surviving the South American road block. Germany “won” on penalties – as they always do – against a team hamstrung by the cravenly pessimistic tactics of its coach. That they took advantage of this and held their nerve is to their credit. However, that’s as far as it goes despite the socio-psychobabble that we’ve all been subjected to since.

With expectations at an historic low, Germans – young Germans in particular – celebrated the romp to the latter stages as if some form of miracle had been bestowed upon them. More seasoned types enjoyed their happiness in a sober fashion, wondering what all the fuss was about. Klinsmann, unable to construct a solid defence, threw caution to the wind and found the opposition compliant. When faced with a side who met fire with fire, Germany lost bravely to Italy. That was the extent of it.

All this talk of Germany reinventing itself had nothing to do with football. Germans felt good about themselves because foreigners found them charming hosts and their football team exceeded lowly expectations engendered by recent European Championship disasters by attacking in a cavalier fashion. This was an ordinary German side rampaging forward because it couldn’t defend. It beat the teams it always did, and lost to the team it could never beat. Significantly, that defeat exposed the naivety of a defence that ticked like the timebomb it always was. Four men ballwatched, Ballack stood off, and David Odonkor – the quintessential Klinsmann player, a triumph of eager style over substance – fatally abandoned his post. Klinsmann, showing absolutely no faith in the boys who had loyally followed his orders, abandoned his squad and departed for pastures new, a charlatan basking in the reflected glory of a country coming to terms with its past rather than one forging a new footballing future.

True progress will be measured at Euro 2008. For all the hype, Klinsmann’s Germany failed to beat a top-ranked footballing power within regulation time during his tenure. When all is said and done, Rudi Völler’s team actually reached a World Cup final at a time when they twice embarrassed their own shirts at successive European Championships. Why anybody would think the current side would do any better against top opposition from their own continent is beyond me. It seems as if Herr Klinsmann was of a similar mind…

Joachim Löw, the faceless number two, now assumes control. It is to be hoped that his reign is more substantial and grounded than that of his erstwhile boss. We will watch with interest.

One man who had a genuinely good World Cup was Miroslav Klose. The Bremen forward was this week voted German Footballer of the Year in a poll dominated by the national team squad. Only Rafael van der Vaart of Hamburger SV and Robert Vittek of Nürnberg represented foreign players in the top 20. While Germany boasts quite a few good young players, it’s hard to escape the thought that the journalists responsible for the vote are still rather drunk on the banal feelgood factor which infected the nation last month. You see, everything German is now somehow greater than it was this time, say, six weeks ago, and all because four goals were banged past Costa Rica...

All that said, it will be interesting to see how so many of this summer’s stars fare in the hurly burly of domestic football which resumed this week. Werder Bremen won the Ligapokal last weekend and go into the new league season with Per Mertesacker in their ranks. On Sunday, Werder face Hannover – his former club – in what promises to be the match of the round.

As I write, Bayern began their defence with a 2-0 win over a Borussia Dortmund side that is treading water. Promoted clubs VfL Bochum, Energie Cottbus – East Germany’s lone representative in the top-flight – and Alemannia Aachen all kick-of their campaigns on Saturday. Mainz, Borussia Mönchengladbach, and Bayer Leverkusen are unlikely to prove accommodating hosts. Title contenders Schalke will expect to beat Eintracht Frankfurt, Hamburger SV should prove too strong for Arminia Bielelfed, while VfB Stuttgart could find revitalised Nürnberg awkward opposition on day one. Wolfsburg and Hertha complete the week’s action on Sunday.

Nine months out, nobody will be surprised if Bayern are once again holding the shield aloft come May. However, I’m going to put my neck on the block and predict a second Werder Bremen crown in three years if only to say “I told you so” once more this time next year.

Brian A. O’Driscoll

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2
    just finished watching the germany sweden game and thing r really looking up , although this is only a friendly.But the understanding between the players is still there and the defence was looking good at many times although sweden were way below standard.

The defense line is one line that low would make some changes in.
    Testing fredirich in defense was a pretty good move by him and he did well imo and i have been calling for him to be played in the CB position for a while.
    Fathi was given his first cap but he was played in the unfamiliar LB position for him.
    Manuel Fredirich was given his chance too and he did pretty well although i saw him as pretty hasty at times where he needs to be more level headed.

Abt this game schweni is playing very well and imposing himself well.Schneider played very so did Borowski.Nowotony and Jansen did well in covering especially with the long passes.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Low hired his assistant ....

Assistant Coach Hans-Dieter Flick

Date/place of birth: 24.02.1965 in in Heidelberg Hans-Dieter Flick ©DFB
    Players Teams: BSC Mückenloch,
    SpVgg Neckargemünd,
    SV Sandhausen,
    FC Bayern München,
    1. FC Köln

Players Successes: 148 Bundesligaspiele (6 Tore)
    2. Platz Europapokal der Landesmeister 1987
    DFB-Pokalsieger 1986
    DFB-Pokalfinalist 1991
    Deutscher Meister 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990
    Deutscher Vizemeister 1988

Coaches Teams: FC Bammental,
    TSG Hoffenheim,
    Red Bull Salzburg (Assistenztrainer)

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    Injury-plagued Bayern Munich midfielder Sebastian Deisler says he is confident of returning to action for the German national team.

The 26-year-old missed his second straight World Cup this summer after suffering the fifth major injury of his career during club training in March.

However, Deisler still feels he has a bright future in the game and is hoping to be back training next month following his latest setback.

"I am confident that in the medium term I will be able to win back my place both at Bayern Munich and in the national team," he said.

"I feel extremely healthy at the moment and am slowly getting on the path back to fitness.

"I have already done some light training with the ball, but I still need a lot of physio sessions. All I can do is take things step by step."

Deisler would not be drawn on a possible date for his Bundesliga comeback but will be aiming to play a major part in Bayern's defence of their title.

:touched: i love this player i hope he gets back.Such a shame he has all those players, would've been a great player

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    New Germany coach Joachim Low has kept faith with those players that performed admirably in the World Cup for the upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Republic of Ireland and San Marino, although a triumvirate of defenders are ruled out due to injury.

Per Mertesacker, Jens Nowotny and Robert Huth were all part of Jurgen Klinsmann's World Cup party but have not been deemed fit for the new boss, meaning Mainz star Manuel Friedrich and Hertha Berlin's Malik Fathi have been drafted into a shaky backline.

"We've certainly got some problems with our central defence," Low admitted.

However, Germany have included captain Michael Ballack despite the fact he missed a recent friendly with Sweden and is yet to play for new club Chelsea in a competitive game due to a hip injury.

Christoph Metzelder also missed the Sweden game but Low decided to include the duo despite their fitness problems.

"These two players are enormously important for us," Low added.

"We assume Michael will be able to return to training soon. I talked with Christoph Metzelder on the phone and he expects to be back in training by the start of next week."

Aside from the three defensive absentees the squad is the same as the one that finished third at the World Cup, and Low will be hoping for a similar level of performance from his side against Republic of Ireland on September 2 and San Marino four days later.

Full Germany squad to face Republic of Ireland and San Marino:
    Jens Lehmann (Arsenal), Timo Hildebrand (Stuttgart); Arne Friedrich (Hertha Berlin), Malik Fathi (Hertha Berlin), Manuel Friedrich (Mainz), Marcell Jansen (Borussia Monchengladbach), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Christoph Metzelder (Borussia Dortmund); Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Tim Borowski (Werder Bremen), Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen), Bernd Schneider (Bayer Leverkusen), David Odonkor (Borussia Dortmund), Thomas Hitzlsperger (Stuttgart); Gerald Asamoah (Schalke), Mike Hanke (Wolfsburg), Miroslav Klose (Werder Bremen), Lukas Podolski (Bayern Munich), Oliver Neuville (Borussia Monchengladbach)

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    Christoph Metzelder has been ruled out of Germany's Euro 2008 qualifier with Republic of Ireland.

The Borussia Dortmund defender is struggling with a knee injury and he will not be fit in time for next weekend's game.

Metzelder's injury adds to the problems new Germany coach Joachim Low has to contend with at the back for the clash with Steve Staunton's men.

Low is already missing Per Mertesacker, Robert Huth and Jens Nowotny for the game through injury.

Manuel Friedrich and Malik Fathi are both expected to be given rare starts for Germany in the absence of the injured stars and Low is expected to call a new player into the squad to replace Metzelder.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this guy always gets injured , such a shame

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    Republic of Ireland travel to Germany for a Euro 2008 qualifier on Saturday, in manager Steve Staunton's first competitive match in charge.

Staunton will hope to ensure there is little hangover from a demoralising 4-0 friendly defeat to Holland little more than two weeks ago, as the Irish make the difficult trip to Stuttgart to face a side under the new management of Joachim Low.

The Republic will at least take solace from the return of captain Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given and Richard Dunne - with all four missing the defeat to the Dutchmen.

Keane could be partnered in attack by the promising and prolific Kevin Doyle, who, after a goal-laden campaign in The Championship last season, has already opened his Premiership account this term.

Preparations were hampered after Kevin Kilbane, Graham Kavanagh, Jonathon Douglas and Liam Miller returned to England to tie up deals with new clubs ahead of the close of the transfer window, while Paddy Kenny and Stephen Kelly are absent through injury.

Despite Ireland's recent turmoils, Low is refusing to take for granted a win in the World Cup semi-finalists' opening Group D clash.

"We won't underestimate Ireland but we certainly want to win our home match - there can be no other goal," said Low.

Germany will be without Mike Hanke after the forward was forced to withdraw from the squad with tonsillitis.

Christoph Metzelder is also absent after undergoing knee cartilage surgery, with the Borussia Dortmund stopper joining fellow defenders Robert Huth and Jens Nowotny on the treatment table.

The last time Ireland faced Germany was in a World Cup group match at Japan & South Korea 2002, when Keane was the Irish saviour, heading an equaliser in the dying stages to salvage a draw.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Heading an equaliser? What game did the person who wrote the match report that they stole that off watch?

Ireland is so boned going into this one. :depressed I can't see us getting even a draw, short of some serious rub of the green.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    well ur captain is back, robbie is a class i like him :tup:....there will certainly be a new CB partnership in the german defense.And that was not a problem for ppl playing germany for a while now.

The question is whether ur team can stop the offense....The last team that did that beat Germany

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Ever heard of Andy O'Brien? He's likely to partner Ricard Dunne in centre half. Andy O'Brien failed at Newcastle. You can't suck much more than that. [Er, Boumsong'll work out guys, no worries... :shifty:]

Left back may well be either Kevin Kilbane, who's a donkey of a winger come centre mid, or John O'Shea, who plays in midfield these days and has never done much in green. Thank God Ian Harte's injured or we might actually consider using him. Maybe Finnan will be played there again, but then that worked so well against the Dutch.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
    i played junior soccer on the same team as kevin doyle so hoping he gets the start tomorrow night and maybe a goal.

the team i would pick.

given

carr o'shea Dunne Finnian

Reid kavanagh Kilbane Duff

Keane Doyle

there are rumours stan might start mcgeedy on the right.

i know o shea is not proven CB but he is no Cm and he is better than o brein.

the germans are top notch in big tournaments in qualifying not so good, hope for a world cup hangover and the joys of stuttgard 88to be reborn.

well i will take a 1-1 draw

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    mikhail said:
    Ever heard of Andy O'Brien? He's likely to partner Ricard Dunne in centre half. Andy O'Brien failed at Newcastle. You can't suck much more than that. [Er, Boumsong'll work out guys, no worries... :shifty:]

Left back may well be either Kevin Kilbane, who's a donkey of a winger come centre mid, or John O'Shea, who plays in midfield these days and has never done much in green. Thank God Ian Harte's injured or we might actually consider using him. Maybe Finnan will be played there again, but then that worked so well against the Dutch.
    i heard abt Obrien(if am not confusing him with someone else), then heard he was pretty good and solid..so thats good.
    I dont like finnan tbh, although he has his good day.The good thing abt him is that hes consistant.

Ian Harte was always known for his free kicks and crosses, so wat went wrong for him ?

well the team looks good i have to say, after the formation Eire posted....i think its going to be a very interesting game....Lucky me that ESPN r showing it down here lLive:D

i think this will be the german formation

-------------------------------------------lehmann-------------------------------

-----------lahm---------------fredirich----------manual fredirich---------jansen--

---------schneider--------------ballack---------frings------------schweni----------

-----------------------------klose--------podolski----------------------------

for a moment I thought sateeh is the only member who has the right ot post in this thread
    :rofl2:
    well i started posting in here and nobody was replying....so i just kept posting news only :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Fliakis said:
    is ian harte so bad? i thought he was rather good few years back at leeds.. or maybe its just those crazy freekicks..
    He had a few good seasons with Leeds, though the free kicks did paper over some cracks. He's been awful for a long time now. I can't put my finger on the first indication that he's really rubbish, but a good one was the fact that he was subbed off at half time in each of our group games in WC 2002. I hate seeing him line out in green. He never presses the winger, instead giving him enough time and room to pick the perfect cross. He might be good, but if he is, he's the laziest bugger in professional football.

Eire said:
    the team i would pick.

given

carr o'shea Dunne Finnian

Reid kavanagh Kilbane Duff

Keane Doyle

there are rumours stan might start mcgeedy on the right.
    And Reid in the middle, maybe. Hard to say, but McGeady has had a great start to the season with Celtic.

I know o shea is not proven CB but he is no Cm and he is better than o brein.
    That's debatable, and I think O'Brien will be picked ahead of him.

the germans are top notch in big tournaments in qualifying not so good, hope for a world cup hangover and the joys of stuttgard 88to be reborn.
    They've been on a high so far, and they pasted the Swedes.

well i will take a 1-1 draw
    Me too. :smile:

sateeh said:
    i heard abt Obrien(if am not confusing him with someone else), then heard he was pretty good and solid..so thats good.
    He has his days. Most internationals do. He's limited though.

I dont like finnan tbh, although he has his good day.The good thing abt him is that hes consistant.
    I've never quite seen what everyone sees in him, but he's been putting alternative right backs to the sword at Liverpool at a rate of two a season for quote a while now. He's certainly competant.

Ian Harte was always known for his free kicks and crosses, so wat went wrong for him ?
    The Leeds bubble burst, and his form went with it.

i think this will be the german formation

-------------------------------------------lehmann-------------------------------

-----------lahm---------------fredirich----------manual fredirich---------jansen--

---------schneider--------------ballack---------frings------------schweni----------

-----------------------------klose--------podolski----------------------------
    That's about what I expected. I'm hoping that Keane will be a handful for those emergency centre halves, but we'll see.

OP
    sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    I've never quite seen what everyone sees in him, but he's been putting alternative right backs to the sword at Liverpool at a rate of two a season for quote a while now. He's certainly competant.
    yeah he does his job but nothing fancy abt it.

That's about what I expected. I'm hoping that Keane will be a handful for those emergency centre halves, but we'll see.
    well from a while i always called for Arne Fredirich to be played in the CB.The guy just cant dribble or throw in a half decent cross.
    His brother Manuel is alrite, a bit hasty and inexprerienced.I think Robbie will give him a hard time tomorrow nite.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
    i think mcgeedy is good on the ball but playing him and duff on the wings will leave us exposed defensively.

this is the team i think stan staunton will select.

given

carr o'brien dunne finnan

kilbane reid o'shea duff

doyle keane

as for the ian harte discussion he has a good free kick and cross but he is the slowest full back on the planet.

i thought any reid would have been on the bench ireland have no set piece taker now,

maybe duff taking corners and s reid and keane on free kicks at goal.

if ireland can get enough ball to keane and doyle they can do damage to a weakend german defense and also upset lehman a bit doyle is an unkown to the germans but after the game i hope they will remember him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)