Nedved Retires from International football (1 Viewer)

Geof

May 14, 2004
Yep that's right.

Should be good news for Juve I guess, but it's a bit deceiving to me. There's always that special magic when one plays for his NT...

On the other hand the guy is 32 and doesn't want to risk another injury, which I understand.

If I'm not wrong his contract ends in 2006, so he'll be 34. I guess he's gonna quit then...

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Nedved calls time on Czech career
Friday, 24 September 2004
The European Footballer of the Year, Pavel Nedved, has retired from international football after 83 appearances for the Czech Republic.

Debut in 1994
Nedved made his international debut in June 1994 in a 3-1 win against the Republic of Ireland and was the driving force behind the Czech Republic's run to the final of EURO '96™. Having disappointed at UEFA EURO 2000™ and failed to qualify for the 2002 FIFA World Cup, Nedved was a driving force as the Czechs reached the semi-finals of UEFA EURO 2004™.

Knee injury
His final match turned out to be a game to forget, however, as a knee injury saw him substituted in the defeat by Greece in Porto. Nedved was missing as the Czechs lost their opening 2006 World Cup qualifier against the Netherlands but had vowed to return for next month's matches against Group 1 leaders Romania and Andorra.

Juve commitments
The 32-year-old, who scored 17 international goals and captained his country from 2000, explained his change of heart: "My physical condition does not allow me to carry the enormous burden of representing my nation along with fulfilling of my commitments to Juventus."

'We must cope'
Czech coach Karel Brückner said: "I am surprised by his decision as I met him in Turin on Sunday and we agreed to speak about his selection before every game in the future. It is reality, we must cope with it."

©uefa.com 1998-2004. All rights reserved.

My physical condition does not allow me to carry the enormous burden of representing my nation

Pavel Nedved

--------------------------------------------------------------

Well, so that's it :down:

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
I posted this already... Anyway, it's just a good thing, now he won't play against Finland and concentrate in Juve better...

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Dutch website VI.nl said this:

(...) 'Zolang de benadering van de Tsjechische pers niet wijzigt, zien ze me niet terug', aldus Nedved. 'Ik ben het gezeik zat.' (...)

(...) 'As long as the Czech press doesn't change it's attitude I won't come back', said Nedved. 'I'm sick and tired of this bullshit.' (...)

I didn't know that Nedved was angry with his national press, but to make that the reason for international retirement for such a big player seems strange.

OP

Amr

Dec 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    it's better though 2 concentrate with JUVE .

OP

Amr

Dec 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    i was hoping 2 c nedved with the czech team in the world cup semis unleast ...

but it's gr8 2 concentrate with juve :)

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
    i cannot believe that,i'm afraid.that just isn't the nedved we've known for so long.
    What do you expect????? he is sick and tired of czech NT being critisized by any sports journalist in his country...saying that neither him or Karel poborsky being able to win nothing, just playing "nice" football...Nedved his very serious about his work and efforts and feel ofended about this..on the contrary i think is totally normal attitude...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I think he criticised the media, but the tone of his comment was lost in translation. I highly doubt he'd say the equivalent word of 'bullshit', he's too professional for that. The closest word I can see Nedved using is 'rubbish'

maybe I'm just making excuses for him because I love the guy, but it's still highly doubtful

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    Nedved quits Czech Republic
    Friday 24 September, 2004

Juventus star Pavel Nedved has today announced his retirement from international football.

The accomplished midfielder played 83 times for the Czech Republic but will never wear their shirt again.

The 32-year-old, the current European Footballer of the Year, last played for the side at Euro 2004.

However, that game ended in tears after he limped off with an injury in the 1-0 semi-final defeat to Greece.

Nedved, who netted 17 goals for his country, will continue to play club football as his current contract in Turin expires in 2006.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    I think he criticised the media, but the tone of his comment was lost in translation. I highly doubt he'd say the equivalent word of 'bullshit', he's too professional for that. The closest word I can see Nedved using is 'rubbish'
    excatly. I don't know in which language he said that, but it has been translated in dutch by Voetbal International and the in English by Mr. Gol.
    Neddy must have used a better word. Plus, the dutch word Gezeik isn't as hard as bullshit, IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)