napoli back into serie A (7 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Good points Jacques. TV revenue is definetely an issue for a mid market teams like Sampdoria, Torino, Napoli, Parma, Bologna et al. I know people often uses the misnomer "market forces" without fully understanding how it works, and without going into unnecessary details, TV rights for the soccer game is best sold as a bundle. Of course, the size of the pie sold in bundles doesnt necessarily compensate the loss of revenue for the big team and hence we see the sort of system in Serie A right now.

However, on the point of selling the rights to the other nations, I believe it is actually easier to sell your league rights when sold in pieces because foreigners want to see the big matches and not Catania vs Empoli. It enables teams to tailor suite the TV schedule that fits into local demands, and for this reason, I believe Serie A is actually viewed more than say EPL. Nonetheless, the loss of competitiveness is just too large to outweight the positive effects of selling rights individually.

But I agree with your main point that the lack of investment is primarily due to the fact that major innovation requires that of federation actually making some changes. Italian FA's so badly run its just untrue. Pity that they cant go bankrupt like Fiorentina, Napoli, and Torino did. I always hear people saying EPL is quick, fast, furious, exciting blah blah but the truth is, which I realized in recent weeks, majority of games borders on being a rugby match. Teams like West Ham, Newcastle, Everton, Blackburn to lesser extent Bolton are unbearable to watch (Blackburn vs Spurs was a classic) and certainly no lesser than say Catania, Messina, Empoli etc. I am sick of Italian FA's inability to market its league when craps like Serie A is all defending floats around when in actual fact it scored more goal than "furious, exciting, full of goals" EPL last year. Chelski vs ManUre were putting in defensive performances that would have made 90s Serie A proud whilst Inter and Milan decided another adventure of goal feast in Milano. But perception is that Inter vs Milan is bound to finish 0-0!

I also believe another big issue yet to be settled is an ownership of Stadia. Part of reason why Italian Stadia is so run down is the fact they are owned by councils and leased to the teams. The incentive structure is such that they are no incentive for councils to make it more fan friendly exciting atmosphere drawing more gates because councils cannot fully capture the gain through investments. And politicians is quick to see FC as a way to cover their mistakes by asking them to cover the costs. These days teams are more than just FCs. They have a very complex business models with diverse revenues streaming from Stadia, TV, Gates, Merchandises etc. I have been to San Siro before and the contrast could not be starker than say Yomiuri Giants' Dome Stadium. I feel only way to solve is for the teams to buy the stadium (which they tried but could not meet the cost). Given the renovation required I feel teams cannot effectively meet the cost (not for Euro anyway), and probably more complex financing structure is needed, but the truth it council leasing it to the teams aint gonna work.

But inspite of all this, Italian teams do make good investment opportunity IMO. There are so many rooms for improvement. Buy the stadium, rennovate it, big teams with history and fanbase around the world. No disrespect to WestHam but Napoli is far bigger team with more earning potential than WestHam can ever be.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Dominic said:
Yeah, but I think Reggina, Ascoli and Messina will be the ones to relegate.
Fiorentina will be safe as long as they can sort out their defence in order. I have a feeling Chievo could go down. Injury to Obinna and I think they are done. Reggina might just save themselves IMO. They have a genuine goal scorer in Bianchi and with passionate fans behind them they should do well in home games. Winning home matches are critical to survival. Ascoli seems like a certainty. I predict Parma to just save themselves through the playoffs if they keep Budan that is.

Nejc

May 13, 2006
I maybe am a n00b but can someone tell me, what is Pro Vercelli and when they were in serie a last time?
I found their website but i don't speak italian.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
19nejc91 said:
I maybe am a n00b but can someone tell me, what is Pro Vercelli and when they were in serie a last time?
I found their website but i don't speak italian.
I think they are Juventus affiliate, they dominated Serie A before the 1st World War when they won 7 Scudettos, after that they disappeared, I´m not sure they even exist, and if they exist, they are probably in some regional league.

Jul 23, 2006
mark83 said:
I think they are Juventus affiliate, they dominated Serie A before the 1st World War when they won 7 Scudettos, after that they disappeared, I´m not sure they even exist, and if they exist, they are probably in some regional league.
use fm, pro vercelli are still alive
Unione Sportiva Pro Vercelli Calcio is one of the most successful football clubs in Italy with seven National Leagues won (1908, 1909, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1921, 1922). It is based in Vercelli, Piedmont. Currently it plays in Italian Serie C2.

wikipedia

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Alltagsheld said:
Italien/English info about ProVercelli
http://www.usprovc.com/
On that site, there's a link on the sidebar by the name of "Panettoni". Needless to say, it wasn't the raisin/nut bread cake "panettone" I initially thought I'd find. Instead, there were pictures of girls taking off their bikinis...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I love Pro Vercelli.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Even though panettone literally translates to "big ass bread", it must be Italian for fruitcake. Because it's sure treated like it -- and too often falls in the same class.

Max said:
I love Pro Vercelli.
Now Pro Vercelli is a different story. I just love a plate of pro vercelli. But hey, they make Rice-A-Roni out of the stuff, and as we know it is the San Francisco treat. I eat it three times a day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)