My town blew up! (1 Viewer)

OP
Dhaliwich

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    Yep, the pressure wave (don't know what else to call it), knocked me over, and I was standing about 2 miles away.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Dhaliwich ] ++
    Yep, the pressure wave (don't know what else to call it), knocked me over, and I was standing about 2 miles away.
    Are you serious?! :eek: how bad was it?

Did you literally get knocked over or are you just exaggerating :D

OP
    Dhaliwich

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    I did get knocked over, didn't hurt myself very much. About 2000 tons of fireworks blew up in total I think. But actually people were very lucky that it didn't go worse then it did. 84 injured and only one fire fighter killed.

OP
    Dhaliwich

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    Here is a picture from the nearby neighbourhood to the factory, three or four days later I think.

OP
    Dhaliwich

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    Sorry, I misspelled in my prior post, I wasn't standing 2 miles away, but 2 kilometers.

And thanks Fliakis, luckily my house wasn't destroyed, just a shattered window.

OP
    Dhaliwich

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    I didn't take this picture myself, but the this is what it kindda looked like from where I was standing.

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
    Jan 11, 2003
    She said that the guy who filmed the incident also got knocked out.

Its pretty terrible what happened...

Dhaliwich, is you house still intact?

OP
    Dhaliwich

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    Jep, only one broken old window. I also live right outside the evacuation area (1,5 km radius around the factory), so nothing serious happened to me or my family. But I think around 200 houses is more or less damagede, the closesth are about 1 meter high now, and alot burned.

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
    Jan 11, 2003
    Who are going to pay for the burned out houses? Factory, state or your own insurance company?

OP
    Dhaliwich

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    I think the insurance companies, because the factory didn't violate any rules in term of storing that much fireworks, or security, at least they havn't found any signs of such. But the state is also providing some kind of financial aid. Don't know excatly how much thoug.

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
    Jan 11, 2003
    I think the state should

I know the city complained alot against that factory beeing so close to civilization. And the state completly denied the fact that it could blow up.

Its their fault IMO. They should never build it there, it belongs far away from civilization.

OP
    Dhaliwich

Dhaliwich

Aug 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #20
    Well actually the factory was there before all the houses, they were built around the factory. But I agree, such a thing should be placed far away from everything. And yes the inhabitants have made numerous complaints about the location, but every time all the "experts" just said that all the necessary precautions have been made, and that they were very certain that nothing would happen. It's a bit scary thinking about how many other storage/factories are placed equally close, or in cities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)