My first ever earthquake (1 Viewer)

OP
Jeannette

Jeannette

Aug 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #23
    No, amber is quite cheap here (if someone's too lazy to collect it ;)) :D
    Only you must pay much. We do it on purpose, for we now you will buy it anyway. :devil::D

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Earthquakes normally are a pretty regular occurrence around here -- though it has been a long while since I felt one (uh oh).

The biggest being the 7.1 here in Oct of 1989. I had just moved to San Francisco and was in class at Berkeley when it sounded like a giant dumptruck outside was scraping the pavement ... then the shaking like we were in a building on stilts ... then the freaked out look of all my classmates. After a few moments I was like, "Oh -- so this is what a California earthquake is like... Not to worry, folks, this happens all the time." ;)

Then we just kept on going with class.

Waiting for my lab to start afterwards, I thought people were joking when they mentioned that a section of the SF Bay Bridge collapsed.

OP
    Jeannette

Jeannette

Aug 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #29
    Well, I've heard a lot about earthquakes in San Fransisco, here it never happened before in the history (though I heard that they occured in the southern Poland in the past).
    The word 'earthquake' didn't even cross my mind, while it was happening. I don't know, if I'd have known what to do, if it had been much stronger...

OP
    Jeannette

Jeannette

Aug 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #31
    @Vit, yeah, I've just read that, but it must have been long ago.

BTW, this year I saw very, very long and thick amber necklace for 20zl. :D

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    Earthquakes normally are a pretty regular occurrence around here -- though it has been a long while since I felt one (uh oh).

The biggest being the 7.1 here in Oct of 1989. I had just moved to San Francisco and was in class at Berkeley when it sounded like a giant dumptruck outside was scraping the pavement ... then the shaking like we were in a building on stilts ... then the freaked out look of all my classmates. After a few moments I was like, "Oh -- so this is what a California earthquake is like... Not to worry, folks, this happens all the time." ;)

Then we just kept on going with class.

Waiting for my lab to start afterwards, I thought people were joking when they mentioned that a section of the SF Bay Bridge collapsed.

that was the day my mom found out she was pregnant with me :D

wasnt it called the loma prieta or something?

OP
    Jeannette

Jeannette

Aug 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #34
    @Vit: Not only for natives - we hardly ever buy it - for everyone, mainly for Germans, for they buy a lot of amber... I guess it must have been a promotion.

OP
    Jeannette

Jeannette

Aug 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #36
    Sometimes we do promotions, concerning the amber only, I guess, when we're sure you won't happen to come here. :D

The truth is that I don't really like it and I never wear it, though there's a lot of amber jewellery here, most often expensive (as everything here).

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    actually i think my mom went to CAL in like 91-93

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)