My Azzurri Disappointment Video from WC02 (1 Viewer)

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
Cannataro, you have truly great skills in creating videos!!
Man i was so angry at that WC. Italy shouldve gone far. Tottis send off was wrong. They got like 5-6 goal disallowed for offside (wrong calls) through the competition.

I hope it goes better this time, i love Italia and I want them to win the WC!!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Thanks for the awesome memories :D

Disclaimer: I happen to support the Azzurri, but as they say, blood is thicker than water

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I always felt this reporter said it all.

Rough justice?

By Kevin Buckley
BBC Sport Online's man in the Italy camp

Grey rain pats down onto the deserted streets outside Sendai railway station.

At six thirty the Shinkansen 'bullet' train awaits to whisk me down to Tokyo, Narita airport and back to Milano.

As everyone else slinks out of Seoul I find myself going in the opposite direction.

Ever the optimist, banking on the best forward line in world football, the Sendai-Seoul return flight had seemed a reasonable bet after the Azzurri promised to return to their first phase base if they reached the final.

Although recriminations ring in the air, such is the sense of outrage felt back home in 'il bel paese' at the atrocious refereeing against Korea that the players are welcomed at Milan's Malpensa airport as heroes.

They return as hard-done-by victims of what a cheated sporting public believe was the commerical imperative of keeping the last remaining hosts in the competition.

Italian footballing culture rarely simply admits defeat, seeking instead the 'caproespiatorio' - scapegoat.

But watching from row three as Totti was red-carded, Del Piero elbowed in the face, Zambrotta and Coco bloodied with impunity, and Tomassi ruled offside amid a myriad of other doubtful calls, it's difficult this time to completely dismiss the 'real politick' of the conspiracy theorists.

Then again it would have helped if Bobo Vieri had slid home that sitter just as he had done for Inter all last season.

Surely the funniest sight of that traumatic end to Italy's traumatic tournament was Francesco Coco meekly obeying a linesman to tuck in his shirt at a throw-in.

At Euro 2000 they were just 46 seconds from victory.
Here there was two and a half minutes to go when Panucci, the elegant Cary Grant of the side, so uncharacteristically fumbled, slipped and fell to allow an equaliser.

Cruel, unjust, football was ever thus, as Shakespeare would no doubt have said if he'd been a 'tifoso'.

Conspiracy theorists apart, five goals disallowed in just four games is a bit difficult to explain within football's normal margins of error.

But then if you do manage only one win in four, over the mighty Ecuador, and the best forward line manages just five goals, perhaps the bloated domestic game should own up to asking too much of its star exponents.

Back at Sendai station, a giant Del Piero poster has him still biting into a pair of boots.

"Till the next time then Ale?" Arrivederci, or as they say so charmingly in these parts, sayonara.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
mnementh said:
sad and moving. Good work. :agree:
Trap should have been hanged. :pumpkin:
Del Piero Rules :pint:
Trapatoni should be hanged?

I'll assume that was a joke, because he has guided this club to massive success in the past and I'm sure you are aware.

He got old and out of date, eventually, and it was a wrong appointment by the FIGC, who should take the blame for everything.

Example:

When McClaren fucks everything up for England in the future I won't go on blaming him, because I already know he's not the right man for the job.
The English FA have screwed up big time.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
ill never forget the brilliance of cristiano doni at wc 2002, how ive missed him, and wen we played mexico, i watched the first half during the lunch break at school, heard the 2nd half in an art class on a radio, when del piero scored, i went mental during a quiet painting lesson, i got thrown out but it was damn worth it :p

it was also the worst wc i ever witnessed, wen totti was wrongfully sent off, and all those narrow minded english fans branded italians as nothing but divers, despite the fact totti shud of been awarded that penalty, and when ahn scored that undeserved goal, thank unfortunatly led to him being sacked by his club - perugia, as i wanted him shot on his return back to italy.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Jem83 said:
Trapatoni should be hanged?I'll assume that was a joke, because he has guided this club to massive success in the past and I'm sure you are aware.

He got old and out of date, eventually, and it was a wrong appointment by the FIGC, who should take the blame for everything.

Example:

When McClaren fucks everything up for England in the future I won't go on blaming him, because I already know he's not the right man for the job.
The English FA have screwed up big time.

yes, CRAPattoni should have hung for his poor decision making at WC 2002

whats worse ?? he did it again at Euro 2004 :wallbang: :wallbang:

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Vinman said:
yes, CRAPattoni should have hung for his poor decision making at WC 2002

whats worse ?? he did it again at Euro 2004 :wallbang: :wallbang:

to be fair it wasnt his fault we went out in wc 2002, as the referee admitted to match fixing, and taking bribes.

as for euro 2004, well even i knew that denmark and sweden were bound to ensure they wud go thru and that we wud go out, though to be fair we shud of killed sweden, like we did for most of the game, and the bulgaria match was awful in the fact he played the useless vieri like he had in the tournament, played corradi, who was crap, and a off form di vaio, and was stupid enough to play materazzi against bulgaria, who predictably gave away a peno, i can only say thank god we had cassano.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)