'Murica! (172 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
An honest response. Manned up at least.

Though it is sad when you have to give politicians credit now for not pulling some reality distortion field tactic with a conspiracy theory.

But China Joe, he’s the worst!
China Joe likes dead Uyghurs, what are you getting on about?

Holy mother of soy, this guy looks like he is farming reddit upvotes for a living

Clearly, poor planning only exists because there is a lack of government interference.

This is why the government is a benchmark of efficiency and productivity.

*The Internationale starts playing*
Efficiency and productivity is also what gave us slavery, child labor, and thousands of dead kids in Bhopal. It's not everything.

If the market could really do what it wanted to offer any service or product as it wished without interference, you'd be dead now. Efficiently dead too.

It certainly is not. I just called the propane company and the price went up another 12 cents since yesterday. The country warms up nicely later next week so I'm hoping prices start dropping soon if TX can get their shit together.
I hate to say this, but there is a strange schadenfreude streak in me know that has me laughing my ass off knowing there were tech workers in SF who fled because of Covid for the countryside, had their power cut and wine country town burn down in massive Cali wildfires, moved to Austin thinking they finally had their crap together, only to freeze their asses off without power or water. :rofl:

Damn, I can be a mean fook sometimes.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
An honest response. Manned up at least.

Though it is sad when you have to give politicians credit now for not pulling some reality distortion field tactic with a conspiracy theory.

China Joe likes dead Uyghurs, what are you getting on about?

Efficiency and productivity is also what gave us slavery, child labor, and thousands of dead kids in Bhopal. It's not everything.

If the market could really do what it wanted to offer any service or product as it wished without interference, you'd be dead now. Efficiently dead too.

I hate to say this, but there is a strange schadenfreude streak in me know that has me laughing my ass off knowing there were tech workers in SF who fled because of Covid for the countryside, had their power cut and wine country town burn down in massive Cali wildfires, moved to Austin thinking they finally had their crap together, only to freeze their asses off without power or water. :rofl:

Damn, I can be a mean fook sometimes.
That is pretty funny actually. :D

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Didn’t darling Ted bash the Austin mayor for going to Mexico during Covid, last year or something like that? Lol

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.pix11.com/news/national-news/ocasio-cortez-raises-1-million-for-texas-relief-in-4-hours

@ALC

Conservative asses gonna be burning when they see this. Ted Cruz flying to Cancun to holiday while AOC owning the fools. :lol2:
lol nah, they’ll twist the story in their brains somehow to make it seem like AOC is doing this for clout and Ted is only doing what anyone else in his position would do

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
A good breakdown on what happened to Texas grid last week. Under the current market structure ERCOT has no authority to tell generators to winterize, and generators make more money if energy becomes scarce. The blame lies mostly not on ERCOT but on state legislation and governor.
A reminder that Texas state legislator meets once every 2 years for 140 days, with the stipend of $600 a month plus $150 a day for when the lawmakers are in Austin.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/el-paso-electric-winter-storm-2021/

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
A good breakdown on what happened to Texas grid last week. Under the current market structure ERCOT has no authority to tell generators to winterize, and generators make more money if energy becomes scarce. The blame lies mostly not on ERCOT but on state legislation and governor.
A reminder that Texas state legislator meets once every 2 years for 140 days, with the stipend of $600 a month plus $150 a day for when the lawmakers are in Austin.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/el-paso-electric-winter-storm-2021/
Cuz the gubment kant tell u what 2 do. Freedum rains supreme.

Life is sooo much better without regulations from an inefficient gubment. That just makes life suck so much worse for everybody.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Cuz the gubment kant tell u what 2 do. Freedum rains supreme.

Life is sooo much better without regulations from an inefficient gubment. That just makes life suck so much worse for everybody.
hey it works MOST of the time. It screws you royally when it doesn't though.

P.S.
Lol

Last edited:

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
Guys how come some peoples monthly bills got crazy? like that old guy having to pay 12k for electric bill?
Can energy providers change rates as they want during times of crisis?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Guys how come some peoples monthly bills got crazy? like that old guy having to pay 12k for electric bill?
Can energy providers change rates as they want during times of crisis?
Short answer: Because Texas birthed Enron to the world from its vajayjay.

(Not THAT Enron. The original Enron.)

Long answer: Because power pricing contracts, not unlike bond rates or flexible mortgage rates, can be priced by the usual long-term or by the vagaries of the daily market fluctuations. Enron capitalized the crap out of this model, making their execs rich at the expense of the little guy by creating energy supply crises across the country and then swooping in with an extortionist's rate hike to secure new power contracts. This is what ultimately got Cali into its last governor recall and made Arnold Schwarzenegger governor. That's how f'ed up this manipulation got.

Then Enron got caught for fraud and the house of cards collapsed.

Similarly, many customers opted the riskier "day rate" of the market. Not expecting the grid to totally f them over. So these consumers do bear some of the blame for their bills, but not all of it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 163)