'Murica! (90 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I haven't read much into his work, but that theory makes a lot of sense to me. But an overproduction of elites isn't necessarily a bad thing though as this increases competition at the top. So the question becomes what do the "new elites" do to either become "part of the club", which might not be possible, or do they act as a somewhat equal and opposite force against the original elite. If the latter, then this leads to the question of what strategies do they use to achieve their goals - maybe polarizing the country would be one of them.

This problem is one that is difficult to solve because you're going to end up screwing somebody pretty badly. The Bloomberg article mentions taxing inheritances, setting up wealth taxes, and limiting PhD's as solutions. But at this point, I don't see how any of that solves the problem of reducing the amount of elites. The old money elites will be there until they die, so perhaps taxing the shit out of their inheritances would help, but that's difficult to control and surely there will be loopholes built into that tax code. Wealth taxes and limiting PhD's would seemingly create blockers for everyone else, meaning the elite have less competition, so that strategy doesn't make sense to me either. That would be more like preserving what's already in place.

I know folks don't like when I get on my soapbox about this, but this is why I'm such a huge advocate of limiting the power of government. The elites use government to increase their power and wealth, usually by means of rent-seeking or lobbying. So by curtailing this problem, we limit at least some of the power the elite have in leading the country to the pits of hell, which lessens the problem of overproduction of elites since it won't pay to be in politics a anymore. And if it doesn't pay to be in politics anymore, maybe we can start to limit government expenditures, thus tackling the problem of inflation for sustainability at the expense of real wage growth.

You've mentioned a lottery system for public service in the past. Honestly, I don't think that's a bad idea, really, and could also help solve this problem.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, every Democrat on Tuz is also a conspiracy theorist considering they bought the Russia hoax and racism stuff from day 1. And day 1 was even before Trump started his presidency.
I think Turchin's research shows that "elite overproduction" is a bad thing. Think of it like a fish tank that gets out of balance and the algae blooms start taking over and killing fish. It seems his point is you don't get equilibrium back until more elites get killed off one way or other and diminish the supply. The work presumes an inelastic, scarcity mindset, which is worth questioning. But it does seem throughout history that an oversupply of elites who can't take power only gets disrupted by war, plague, or revolution. In his research, the "new elites" -- as you put them -- become disgruntled and resentful outsiders that try to crash the gatekeepers unless other natural forces reduce their relative numbers.

Polarizing the country is an interesting strategy though. It could be a means for the outsider elites to do a power grab by associating the existing ruling elites with the demise of the general public ... which is quite a bit of the situation we have now in many countries.

You know, when you think about it, there are parallels at the elite level and the generational level, for example. Given the scarcity of housing, the finite limits of desirable real estate, and how its costs have completely outgrown inflation, it's set up a lot of high achieving millennials to be locked out of the ownership class. I've read how millennials could be economically split in the future between those who inherit from their dying boomer parents and those who don't.

And don't worry about the soapbox. I may not agree with you, but I do want to hear the rationale behind your preferences here. And how you've characterized government here -- more to its realistic flaws far short of its lofty ideas -- is a fair assessment, IMO. Btw, could we reframe rent-seeking as basically any form of passive income requiring limited to zero labor?

Where I disagree with your opinion here is that I may be too much of an optimist here, but I think it's a cop out not to expect better from governance. Yes, the conservative notion is to look at governance as the problem and to put a tourniquet on it. But by doing so I think you only stand to address the symptoms and not the source of the problem. It's a bit like having a fever and starving yourself as a means of getting healthy again. That rather than seeing if you can save the arm, you think of cutting it off and cauterizing the wound. The US has an imperfect democracy. And despite the originalists, many great nations have updated their constitution to reflect modern times ... and not just by amendments. I think there's more to gain than lose in doing so for a 250 year old document.

I know my feelings these days are wholly full of holes, but my "Flight 93" election response -- as you noted -- is to do something dramatic altogether which scarily has some things in common with Trump governance doctrine: rid us of the professional politicians and replace them with a lottery system of representative government where, like jury duty, people of different walks of life are drafted and paid a salary to represent social problems that markets alone cannot fix (or exacerbate). It eliminates the pathway for a career ruling elite class, and it destroys much of the structure behind corporate influence and money-raising -- where our election system is awash with undue financial influence.

Oh, there are plenty of problems and details to work out. Not the least of which is you draft political amateurs who need to be educated on their representing issues from zero sometimes. But I would love to see some states or even just counties experiment with this idea. It's getting to be like the losing war on drugs: the current trajectory is abject failure.

p.s.: While Russia meddled with the election, I thought the premise as framed for Trump's impeachment that he was keeping Putin's secrets was ludicrous. For one, that Putin would trust Trump's ego and blabbermouth. For another, that Trump would know how to shut up and avoid self-incrimination.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 6, 2015
They've been saying Trump is in the pocket of Putin for years now, while also saying he's a deep-seated racist. If you have any evidence of him making decisions with money from Putin or donating money to the KKK, please let me know. :rolleyes:
Don't know about Trump being in the pocket of Putin, but Vladimir was certainly happy that Donald was elected in 2016.

“Well, you know, when it comes to racism and racists, I am the least racist person there is. And I think most people that know me would tell you that. I am the least racist, I’ve had great relationships,” Trump said. “In fact, Randall Pinkett won, on the as you know, on ‘The Apprentice’ a little while ago, a couple of years ago. And Randall’s been outstanding in every way. So I mean, I am the least racist person.”
I'm convinced.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
the logical reasoning getting to off the chart territory here.

Trump admin succeeded in making the 2020 elections the most secure ever except it was rigged

How can you support someone this dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

They've been saying Trump is in the pocket of Putin for years now, while also saying he's a deep-seated racist. If you have any evidence of him making decisions with money from Putin or donating money to the KKK, please let me know. :rolleyes:
The Russia story is not a hoax. However, the scale and impact of their interference was so negligible that Democrats basically wasted three years on fighting some internet trolls.
America also constantly interferes with other countries’ elections, so this high and mighty attitude from the Dems is laughable.
I believe impeaching Trump was also a mistake, all it did was fire up his base

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Do you genuinely trust the media? Let's start there.

I will say it again, if D's really aren't worried and claim there is no evidence then let the legal proceedings work their way through the courts. They should have nothing at all to hide. But again, if you're hanging onto what the mainstream media is reporting with all their bias I'm not really sure we are going to get anywhere.

State legislatures are gearing up for recounts/audits or both. Are they in denial of an evidence free election?

- - - Updated - - -

I will trust the courts opinion before I trust the media "lets all come together" now in the heat of a contested election.
what are you talking about? Dems have zero to do with whether republican court cases go through or not, the courts do.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
3 law firms in a row dropped out? Jeez, they dont feel his money is worth the lost cause. And taking orders from Rudy friggin Giuliani.
well, some of the affidavits they’d had to bring forward are pretty hilarious. I read of one where a man counting votes was thought to be too big and another where observers thought counters were talking to loud. I think you can only go through so many of those before you start worrying if this is going to lead you to disbarment.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
she’s the republican dream
so much hate for her among republicans. How can they look at that sweet face of hers and feel anything but adoration?

she really is the American dream tho. Came from middle class, worked her way through school and is now in a very impressive position in politics, which she is using to hold corporations accountable for their shitty actions.

she’s an inspiration and an example of the American dream.

BE482D22-DE8F-4FEE-9A23-EACD6A59422C.jpeg

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
so much hate for her among republicans. How can they look at that sweet face of hers and feel anything but adoration?

she really is the American dream tho. Came from middle class, worked her way through school and is now in a very impressive position in politics, which she is using to hold corporations accountable for their shitty actions.

she’s an inspiration and an example of the American dream.

BE482D22-DE8F-4FEE-9A23-EACD6A59422C.jpeg
I have always wondered who actually buys that crap. The really is that big donors are driving the democratic party further left.

One could even say that she should thank big money for her existence in politics. She is clearly way to the left of even the median Democratic voter, not to mention the median American voter. Keep in mind that even today more people identify as conservative than liberal in America.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Man, I don't think I've ever seen someone lose for such an extended period of time. It's like he can't get enough of losing and just wants to keep losing for years to come.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Cuomo doesn’t want the vaccine in New York. He said the vaccine was bad news because it happened during the Trump administration.
https://nypost.com/2020/11/12/mcconnell-rips-cuomo-for-opposing-trump-on-covid-19-vaccine/amp/
Various sources have confirmed claims that the Pfizer vaccin is shown to be very effective, but due to succesfull aggressive approachy by the Trump administration, the first 60-90 million doses will go to the US.

If Cuomo wants to reject the vaccin for whatever reason, we would be happy to take those dosisses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 77)