'Murica! (50 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Really you think the stock market is bullish with anyone but Trump? Maybe it's time to tune out the media noise and actually analyze facts.
The recovery in the markets is simply insane. But you’re arguing with folks who probably don’t own stocks and hope it goes to zero because Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

rooftop Koreans can reduce the nationwide crime rate by 50% by only reducing the population by 13%
:lol:

Post of the year.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
lmao just came here to post this

0nplikcuqkn51.png
It's a fair point.

But I appreciate that people are reacting to Gates. He may be handing out cash, but it's to his whims. None of us voted for the guy, and he's acting as a self-appointed social program manager, meddling with influence and power where he isn't invited. And he's doing this based on his ability to offshore tax exposure and create many of the very global problems he's now running a foundation to help fix.

Douchebag in my book. Shut up and count your damn money and leave us alone. White rich savior complex.

Musk? Supported for doing what Bill is only accused of. His fanboys are annoying. And as a billionaire, he makes no qualms about not giving a rat's ass about philanthropy. Selfish, but honest and not meddling.

Fergusonized

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's a fair point.

But I appreciate that people are reacting to Gates. He may be handing out cash, but it's to his whims. None of us voted for the guy, and he's acting as a self-appointed social program manager, meddling with influence and power where he isn't invited. And he's doing this based on his ability to offshore tax exposure and create many of the very global problems he's now running a foundation to help fix.

Douchebag in my book. Shut up and count your damn money and leave us alone. White rich savior complex.

Musk? Supported for doing what Bill is only accused of. His fanboys are annoying. And as a billionaire, he makes no qualms about not giving a rat's ass about philanthropy. Selfish, but honest and not meddling.

Fergusonized
wasn’t Ferguson kinda the opposite? 90 days in jail for jaywalking etc

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It's a fair point.

Fergusonized
With regards to Gates, the issue is the hypocrisy of it. Conservative ideology is “supposed to be” about small government, low taxation, self regulation of business and wealth, and the personal philanthropy of the rich as the way to look after the poor (the last part even more amongst the religious right)... but they are the first to cry foul when they don’t agree with the nature or direction of that philanthropy, the first to latch on to absurd conspiracy theories about wealthy people that don’t share their conservative politics, etc. I had this discussion with a client of ours who was trying to argue that majority of rich businessmen were selfless and good and the government should just butt out so they can look after the world. Bizarre perspective, not sure if he had ever heard Of feudalism, but it wasn’t all that great for most of the population lol

There’s also the irony of saying the government should just leave us alone, and taxes are the devil, while being a big law & order and military supporting type. I wonder where those budgets come from? Lol Not to mention the obvious police “the other” but not me line of reasoning.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
The recovery in the markets is simply insane. But you’re arguing with folks who probably don’t own stocks and hope it goes to zero because Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

:lol:

Post of the year.
Stocks have little correlation with the actual economy (talking about jobs, wages, disposable income) which is the worst it's been since the great depression.
No one cares about stocks if they can't put money on the table.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
wasn’t Ferguson kinda the opposite? 90 days in jail for jaywalking etc
I was referring to the Ferguson effect.

With regards to Gates, the issue is the hypocrisy of it. Conservative ideology is “supposed to be” about small government, low taxation, self regulation of business and wealth, and the personal philanthropy of the rich as the way to look after the poor (the last part even more amongst the religious right)... but they are the first to cry foul when they don’t agree with the nature or direction of that philanthropy, the first to latch on to absurd conspiracy theories about wealthy people that don’t share their conservative politics, etc. I had this discussion with a client of ours who was trying to argue that majority of rich businessmen were selfless and good and the government should just butt out so they can look after the world. Bizarre perspective, not sure if he had ever heard Of feudalism, but it wasn’t all that great for most of the population lol

There’s also the irony of saying the government should just leave us alone, and taxes are the devil, while being a big law & order and military supporting type. I wonder where those budgets come from? Lol Not to mention the obvious police “the other” but not me line of reasoning.
Funny point, actually. Rich people should have the freedom to do what they want in giving away their money ... except when they're George Soros.

I have changed my thinking on this. Yes, you can argue all day long about how government is inefficient and prone to corruption. (As if businesses aren't prone to corruption and fraud, amirite??) But rich people and the foundations of dead people shouldn't be pulling the puppet strings of public service delivery without any public oversight nor input.

I don't trust them to do the right thing for the public good at all, nor should we trust them. Most of the time they're like Pablo Escobar with the Medelín locals: creating tons of social problems for profit, and surrounding their hoardings with a protective moat by throwing admiration money at potential local loyalists and cronies.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

a friend of mine says the exact same thing

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I was referring to the Ferguson effect.

Funny point, actually. Rich people should have the freedom to do what they want in giving away their money ... except when they're George Soros.

I have changed my thinking on this. Yes, you can argue all day long about how government is inefficient and prone to corruption. (As if businesses aren't prone to corruption and fraud, amirite??) But rich people and the foundations of dead people shouldn't be pulling the puppet strings of public service delivery without any public oversight nor input.

I don't trust them to do the right thing for the public good at all, nor should we trust them. Most of the time they're like Pablo Escobar with the Medelín locals: creating tons of social problems for profit, and surrounding their hoardings with a protective moat by throwing admiration money at potential local loyalists and cronies.
All of this :tup:

Unfortunately some folk are stuck in this idea that government is bad except in the ways it personally benefits them and agrees with their individual value system and beliefs, instead of looking at it as a way to govern and take care of society as a collective. This goes for people on the left and the right.

The best places to live, as far as quality of life goes (and having a real middle class and upward social mobility), are the places where the poor are looked after best.

Last edited:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Some bad news for the trumpers in this forum. Everyone else with common sense already knew this tho.

https://apnews.com/bdd3b6078e9efadcfcd0be4b65f2362e
Why do you lower yourself to defend antifa? Do you have any idea what would happen if you leave this 'ideology' with your brandnew BMW for 20 minutes?

It was an organization 10 years before the first American ever heard of it, let alone the mainstream, let alone the authorities. My freaking classmates back in 2005 went to Tuesday antifa meetings :lol:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Why do you lower yourself to defend antifa? Do you have any idea what would happen if you leave this 'ideology' with your brandnew BMW for 20 minutes?

It was an organization 10 years before the first American ever heard of it, let alone the mainstream, let alone the authorities. My freaking classmates back in 2005 went to Tuesday antifa meetings :lol:
if someone fuck with my car I’ll shoot them but it doesn’t take away from the fact that antifa is not an organized group.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 35)