'Murica! (95 Viewers)

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Still a better candidate to have run against Trump. The out of touch first prize belongs to the Establishment Democrats, unfortunately.
Establishment democrats were and are out of touch with their own base as well as Trump base, but they would still be far better rulers than either Trump or Sanders. Show me one statement from establishment Democrats that is as bad as "Abolish ICE". What does that even mean? Open the borders?

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Establishment democrats were and are out of touch with their own base as well as Trump base, but they would still be far better rulers than either Trump or Sanders. Show me one statement from establishment Democrats that is as bad as "Abolish ICE". What does that even mean? Open the borders?
It is their equivalent to "build the wall". Its a simple statement of a totally unrealistic and stupid goal but with powerful implications that even the most shallow and uninformed person can get behind. Virtue signalling :inter:

Coming out and speaking reasonably about your dislike for some of the cruder aspects of our immigration policy and that, while you understand we do need immigration restrictions and customs enforcement, you think that we should consider maybe not separating children from their parents is just so much less appealing and tweetable to the outrage mob than "abolish ICE!"

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
No doubt, I agree with that completely. But they are why Trump exists, why he got elected, and why he will be reelected. Sanders read the game better than they did. They completely ignored the people who Sanders and Trump were appealing to.

Did the US have open borders before 2002?

- - - Updated - - -

It is their equivalent to "build the wall". Its a simple statement of a totally unrealistic and stupid goal but with powerful implications that even the most shallow and uninformed person can get behind. Virtue signalling :inter:
Still much better than vice signaling, which got Trump elected president.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s what I read?
Yep. You read the tweet and thought Sanders was asking for open borders.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
No doubt, I agree with that completely. But they are why Trump exists, why he got elected, and why he will be reelected. Sanders read the game better than they did. They completely ignored the people who Sanders and Trump were appealing to.

Did the US have open borders before 2002?
It's very natural that in this divided environment moderates cannot win elections. That's how many Republicans have been booted out post 2010. What establishment democrats underestimated was how petulant Sanders core was. Naturally they are trying to get close to that core to maybe increase their chances to get elected, but then the core comes up with something idiotic like this.
So without answering my question with another one, would you please enlighten me what "Abolish ICE" means?

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Coming out and speaking reasonably about your dislike for some of the cruder aspects of our immigration policy and that, while you understand we do need immigration restrictions and customs enforcement, you think that we should consider maybe not separating children from their parents is just so much less appealing and tweetable to the outrage mob than "abolish ICE!"
1- He doesn't use the term "abolish ICE". 2- It's a chain tweet. He tweeted the rest of what you wrote also.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012

I hate to admit that "Build the Wall" is actually much more meaningful than "Abolish the ICE". Walls are synonymous with safety security. Regardless of how stupid building a huge southern wall is from policy standpoint, calling to abolish ICE sounds something like "leave the door open". It's so absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

1- He doesn't use the term "abolish ICE". 2- It's a chain tweet. He tweeted the rest of what you wrote also.
He starts by saying he was right about ICE, and continues by saying we need to abolish our cruel system. It's impossible not to take the hint. He's a Senator. Even if he does not mean it he should be better at messaging.
Except of course he's signalling to his base.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
He doesn't have to say that exact phrase because, if he were somehow elected president, he likely wouldn't follow through with that but the first two sentences are "I voted against the creation of DHS and the establishment of ICE. That was the right vote." He knows what he's doing, how that statement is going to be interpreted. He's riding the wave of that stance without directly promising he will do something that he won't actually do.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
It's very natural that in this divided environment moderates cannot win elections. That's how many Republicans have been booted out post 2010. What establishment democrats underestimated was how petulant Sanders core was. Naturally they are trying to get close to that core to maybe increase their chances to get elected, but then the core comes up with something idiotic like this.
So without answering my question with another one, would you please enlighten me what "Abolish ICE" means?
Democrats didn't acknowledge the fact that there are people in the US who are not happy with the current situation, care for neither of democrats/republicans, and are not insignificant in number. That's how they lost.

Where did he even say abolish ICE? And my question was a valid one, why are you equating "abolish ICE" with open borders? That makes no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

He starts by saying he was right about ICE, and continues by saying we need to abolish our cruel system. It's impossible not to take the hint. He's a Senator. Even if he does not mean it he should be better at messaging.
Except of course he's signalling to his base.
He doesn't have to say that exact phrase because, if he were somehow elected president, he likely wouldn't follow through with that but the first two sentences are "I voted against the creation of DHS and the establishment of ICE. That was the right vote." He knows what he's doing, how that statement is going to be interpreted. He's riding the wave of that stance without directly promising he will do something that he won't actually do.
I get what you say, but he insists in the next tweet that he means restructuring such agencies as ICE. That's not asking for abolition of ICE imo, even if he was originally against its creation.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Democrats didn't acknowledge the fact that there are people in the US who are not happy with the current situation, care for neither of democrats/republicans, and are not insignificant in number. That's how they lost.

Where did he even say abolish ICE? And my question was a valid one, why are you equating "abolish ICE" with open borders? That makes no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I get what you say, but he insists in the next tweet that he means restructuring such agencies as ICE. That's not asking for abolition of ICE imo, even if he was originally against its creation.
I'm not sure if you really believe he wants to abolish ICE or not. In your question you're hinting that calling for abolishing ICE does not mean open borders since we did not have those pre 2002. However, in another post you say he does not ask for abolishing ICE. I'm still confused on what exactly that means. Then again, I can only extract hints from your questions since you avoid answering mine directly.
Economic message is only one part of what democrats missed. It's also apparent many Americans are not happy with influx of illegal immigrants as well. So Sanders' message is very unhelpful.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

- - - Updated - - -

Are most of his audience actually going to see that part though? Pretty sure Huffingtonpost is going to ignore that, paste the original tweet, and write an article about how Bernie is the best cause he wants to "abolish ICE just like you" and not even mention that.

The follow up tweet gives him wiggle room for deniability later and in the eyes of people will read deeper but is that really his intent with the tweet? Pretty sure he knows that the first tweet is what is going to be read and talked about as well as what message it alone conveys.

To be clear I don't think Bernie actually even wants to do that, he is certainly more level headed than someone like trump who might actually be crazy enough to follow through on his most out there campaign promises but he is very clearly trying to cash in on that popular position.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I'm not sure if you really believe he wants to abolish ICE or not. In your question you're hinting that calling for abolishing ICE does not mean open borders since we did not have those pre 2002. However, in another post you say he does not ask for abolishing ICE. I'm still confused on what exactly that means. Then again, I can only extract hints from your questions since you avoid answering mine directly.
Economic message is only one part of what democrats missed. It's also apparent many Americans are not happy with influx of illegal immigrants as well. So Sanders' message is very unhelpful.
That's because I have a problem with both your premise and conclusion :D

As I said, I personally and honestly didn't sense an "abolish ICE" message, he's asking for reforms. But let's say he said that, then I have a problem with your intrpretaion of it. Even if he said abolish ICE, why would you think he's asking for open borders?

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
That's because I have a problem with both your premise and conclusion :D

As I said, I personally and honestly didn't sense an "abolish ICE" message, he's asking for reforms. But let's say he said that, then I have a problem with your intrpretaion of it. Even if he said abolish ICE, why would you think he's asking for open borders?
But that was not my conclusion. I said he's message strongly implies that, and I think he's doing it to signal his base. It won't matter much what he really wants to do. The message is what gets repeated and used as a talking point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 78)