Move Thuram to central defence (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2003
We seem to be struggling a little in defence at the moment, certain players are either past their prime of maybe aren't good enough. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest reverting Thuram back to central defence in place of Montero (I'm not singling him out because of last night, he's been awful all season).

Of course, we would lose something from the right back position, but right now needs must and I honestly think Lippi should consider this option.

Buy on AliExpress.com

slack

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
yeap. even if thuram does move to the centre who would replace him at RB? i can't think of anyone capable :undecide:
Precisely. I think some of us underestimate the importance of Thuram in the offensive scheme of things. Zambrotta's absence was one of the reasons why the game was lost against Inter. The loss will be greater than gain and entering the crucial 2nd half of the season, this is no longer the time to fool around with changes esp in defence.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
okay, thuram moves into the middle, Birindelli has to take over Thuram at right back.

Birindelli:

1. inconsistant. you never know which birindelli is going to play, the hopeless one or the half decent one.

2. he isnt as good as attacking nor defending like Thuram.

3. our full backs are a key to our gameplay, without them, we lose wing play.

4. Birindelli is being rumoured to leaving in january

the 3-5-2 formation:

1. we have thuram, tudor and legro in defence...very good defence.

2. Zambrotta plays the left wing but who plays the right?? Can Camoranesi play the whole wing? he is so lazy at times it makes me sick! can he defend??

one question:

we have to buy a centre back or right back who isnt cup-tied in january. Is playing in the UEFA still cup-tied for the CL??

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Good idea indeed... but

Pros:
Great central defender for sure... and it seems like he is improving his performances. Maybe we can try anotehr formation here until the summer market comes... but i doubt that juve will do a move for a defender in the mid-market, we will see.

Cons:
Birindelli and pessoto will take his place in the right side. Like some of u pointed.. we will lose his contribution in the left wings, and after that zambrotta´s absent in the iter game... maybe juventus depends too much on the wings to lose one way in the right.

A 3-5-2 doesnt look bad.. but this formation has not being tested, and we know that Lippi will not do it.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
no worries guys, come January, we'll be strong at the back again.

Heh.... its funny how defense is the main worry this year when traditionally, its been the attack that had let Juve down ;)

Defense is our forte and it will be restored soon.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
naaa.... 3 at the back is too frail in my opinion....

we would have a lot of trouble agasint teams that attack from the wings.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++

one question:

we have to buy a centre back or right back who isnt cup-tied in january. Is playing in the UEFA still cup-tied for the CL??
no, AFAIR..

I think we should play thuram in the centre back in certain matches only. when we face a team playing fast forwards.. otherwise 4-4-2 and 4-3-1-2 are great IMO..

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Thuram's natural position was CB, and Lippi not playing him there was one of the reasons we was considering a switch to Moneychester

Tacca03

May 24, 2003
We have been playing with four defenders for YEARS, with great successs too.

So let's not get panic and overhaul our system after just 1 defeat.

(OK, I don't like defeats either, but Juve can't win every single game or Sensi will go crazy......)

As many of you said before, we NEED Thuram at right back. His and Zambrotta's play down the flanks are crucial to Juve's play.

Lippi would probably agree on this, otherwise he wouldn't have begged / forced the Frenchman to play there when he first came to Juve.

No worries guys, we'll be alright. Afterall we are Juventus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)