Most Naturally Gifted Italian Player (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2003
If I must stick to Denco's definition of a gifted player, then I will say that Del Piero is probably the most naturally talented player Italy has had for some time. This is actually the reason why you see me put him down so often in other threads : because he sometimes seems unwilling to exploit the immense talent that nature gratified him with.

I have always disagreed with people who say that Ronaldo is the next Pélé or Maradona, for I think that his tremendous pace and physical strenghth could in no way be compared with O' Rey's genius and Dieguito's vision. A crippled Maradona still managed to make the decisive pass for Burruchaga in the 1986 World Cup final, while a crippled Ronaldo is just that : a cripple. While Platini could afford not to train during the week and exhibit a fat belly at the game, Ronaldo must follow a strict diet and exercise routine if he wants to be efficient.

Back in 98, I really considered Del Piero to be the Anti-Ronaldo, and hoped that he was going to silence all the Ronaldo lovers by showing how his qualities are the really essential ones in the Beautiful Game. Unfortunately he got injured just in the most decisive moment of the season, a scenario that has been happening again all too often ever since.

Mancini and Baggio remain the greatest italian players of their generation talentwise, though I liked Lentini a lot before that car accident changed his life. He was an astonishing winger who could destabilize an entire defence with his sharp dribbles and juggling abilities. Kind of a Luis Figo "avant la lettre".

In fact the players who have the most natural talent often are also the most injury-prone. A good example is Fiorentina's Antognoni, who I believe could have played a great part in Italy's WC 1982 triumph had he not been injured. Luckily that Italian Garrincha named Bruno Conti did the job good enough. Other talented players of that era are Carnevale, Donadoni and, before them, Causio, who is probably the best right winger that the Peninsula has produced.

Going further back in time, one cannot afford to omit the name of Rivera, who remains Italy's best player ever. Gianni Brera, Italy's greatest sports journalist, coined the name "Abatino" for Rivera, in reference to his small stature and his reluctance to wet his shirt. I guess laziness is a common feature among geniuses. The most gifted italian of the pre WW 2 period is Sandro Mazzola's father, Valentino, who tragically died in the plane crash of the Great Torino. I have only seen a few images of him, but he looked like the forerunner of the modern playmaker.

Of the new players, there is no doubt that Cassano is by far Italy's most talented. The kid has visibly become physically stronger over the past two years, but his intrinsic class was already for all to see when, as a frail 17 year old at Bari, he scored that à la Maradona goal against Inter.

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #227
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    If I must stick to Denco's definition of a gifted player, then I will say that Del Piero is probably the most naturally talented player Italy has had for some time. This is actually the reason why you see me put him down so often in other threads : because he sometimes seems unwilling to exploit the immense talent that nature gratified him with.

I have always disagreed with people who say that Ronaldo is the next Pélé or Maradona, for I think that his tremendous pace and physical strenghth could in no way be compared with O' Rey's genius and Dieguito's vision. A crippled Maradona still managed to make the decisive pass for Burruchaga in the 1986 World Cup final, while a crippled Ronaldo is just that : a cripple. While Platini could afford not to train during the week and exhibit a fat belly at the game, Ronaldo must follow a strict diet and exercise routine if he wants to be efficient.

Back in 98, I really considered Del Piero to be the Anti-Ronaldo, and hoped that he was going to silence all the Ronaldo lovers by showing how his qualities are the really essential ones in the Beautiful Game. Unfortunately he got injured just in the most decisive moment of the season, a scenario that has been happening again all too often ever since.

Mancini and Baggio remain the greatest italian players of their generation talentwise, though I liked Lentini a lot before that car accident changed his life. He was an astonishing winger who could destabilize an entire defence with his sharp dribbles and juggling abilities. Kind of a Luis Figo "avant la lettre".

In fact the players who have the most natural talent often are also the most injury-prone. A good example is Fiorentina's Antognoni, who I believe could have played a great part in Italy's WC 1982 triumph had he not been injured. Luckily that Italian Garrincha named Bruno Conti did the job good enough. Other talented players of that era are Carnevale, Donadoni and, before them, Causio, who is probably the best right winger that the Peninsula has produced.

Going further back in time, one cannot afford to omit the name of Rivera, who remains Italy's best player ever. Gianni Brera, Italy's greatest sports journalist, coined the name "Abatino" for Rivera, in reference to his small stature and his reluctance to wet his shirt. I guess laziness is a common feature among geniuses. The most gifted italian of the pre WW 2 period is Sandro Mazzola's father, Valentino, who tragically died in the plane crash of the Great Torino. I have only seen a few images of him, but he looked like the forerunner of the modern playmaker.

Of the new players, there is no doubt that Cassano is by far Italy's most talented. The kid has visibly become physically stronger over the past two years, but his intrinsic class was already for all to see when, as a frail 17 year old at Bari, he scored that à la Maradona goal against Inter.
    Everything you said could easily have come out of my mouth except the Carnevale bit, surely some mistake . I am a huge Maradona fan so i have so many tapes of Napoli and in none of those tapes did Carnevale's talent shine through
    Giannini would have been a far better choice even though he suffered from the Ray wilkins disease of too many square and back passes and not too many killer passes but he was talented

Dec 27, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    Everything you said could easily have come out of my mouth except the Carnevale bit, surely some mistake . I am a huge Maradona fan so i have so many tapes of Napoli and in none of those tapes did Carnevale's talent shine through
    Giannini would have been a far better choice even though he suffered from the Ray wilkins disease of too many square and back passes and not too many killer passes but he was talented
    Well, Carnevale was part of Napoli's trio of attackers that won them their first scudetto, Maradona-Giordano-Carnevale, soon rebaptized "Ma-gi-ca". He was a good attacker with a certain dose of creativity. I picked him because I have a soft spot for left-footed players, but it is true that Giannini was a more visionary player.

Another talented player of that time was Inter's Matteoli, even if he never managed to fully assert himself, especially after Matthaus' arrival. Then there is Enzo Scifo, if we want to consider him as Italian..

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++

Well, Carnevale was part of Napoli's trio of attackers that won them their first scudetto, Maradona-Giordano-Carnevale, soon rebaptized "Ma-gi-ca".
    Maybe they just chose him because they needed the first two letters of his name :D

Dec 27, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

Maybe they just chose him because they needed the first two letters of his name :D
    I don't think so : when Giordano left they replaced him with another "ca" : Careca. Now, "Ma-ca-ca" designates a female monkey in italian - not the most appealing name for an offensive trio you will agree...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    :LOL:

Off the top of my head, Milan's attack sounds Japanese.

"She-Ka-Ru"

how about "De-Mi-Tre"?

Sorry, just ignore me, i woke up at 5:30 to go to uni :sleepy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)