Most Crucial Juve Season since Calcopoli (2 Viewers)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Since post Calciopoli and promotion from Serie B, I think this is the most significant season for Juventus.

Most of the side that gained promotion from Serie B to Serie A remained in tact and formed the spine of Juventus under Ranieri and we enjoyed 2 relatively good seasons coming 3rd and then 2nd before the wheels fell off. The old guard couldn't support the whole team and we became much more dependent from outsiders.

Ferrara's Juve started well and fell apart in the 2nd half of the season. His Juve looked great on paper at the time after having added Cannavaro, Grosso, Melo, and Diego. The squad looked very different and the starting line-up consisted of mostly new players.

Del Neri's Juve saw another revolution from Marotta. Again, most of the entire first team was new.....Motta, Bonucci, Aquilani, Krasic, Quagliarella, Pepe, Martinez etc. Season started well - people were saying scudetto and then it all fell apart in January. In many ways a carbon copy of the previous season.

Conte's Juve sees another revolution. Lichsteiner, Vidal, Pirlo, Elia, Vucinic the big signings. The starting 11 is completely different to 2 seasons ago with only Marchisio, Chiellini and Buffon remaining (DP likely to be a bench player for most of the season).

Juve has looked like what Inter used to be pre-calciopoli....squad revolution and coach changes occuring rapidly.

This brings us to the current season.

I cannot stress how important coming in the top 3 would be this season. It would be significant for 3 key reasons.

1) It means we can justify keeping Conte and having continuity in manager is essential to build a long term project.
2) Next transfer campaign (summer next year) we don't need to revolutionize the squad and can focus on making 2-3 big signings rather than having to change the entire squad because we have a base to work off.
3) Champions league football would also make it easier to attract those kind of players and would of course help generate enough revenue to afford the transfer fees & wages as well.

After last years disasterous season, I remember thinking.....the best thing that happened was that we DIDN'T qualify for Europa. If you are team under re-construction, you need to be more focused on your goals.

The fact that we do not have European distractions, have a squad capable of making top 3 (at least on paper), and have the extra man on the field every time we play in our new stadium......means that this season is super crucial. We must try and qualify for CL this year. If we don't, we would have missed a massive opportunity to get Juve back to anything close to what it once was.

Buy on AliExpress.com

DVS

Must be patient
Nov 13, 2008
Every present season is the most crucial season. I really hate the "since calciopoli" comment and hope Juve win a trophy of significance soon.

If Juve blow it this season it may be a good thing since Beppe may be gone (although no bad season is a good season). Lets just roll with the season and not give Conte more pressure than he already has. I like his spirit and hope he can succeed. ALthough I really wish he had a different boss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)