More first class players please.. (1 Viewer)

Max

Jul 15, 2003
++ [ originally posted by lonegunman ] ++
Let's face it, Juve is short on star players, especially creativity on the midfield. So I hope Moggi will forget those second rate signings (Casetti,Mozart,...?) and start chasing for the real thing. I want Cassano, Viera, ... (You can add anyone)
What? We don't have enough money? Just sell Miccoli, Appiah, (and Trez maybe?) and some other player who rarely gets on the pitch. I miss star signings..
Star players don't win games or guarantee another trophy on the shelf. A bunch of decent players working together wins games. The egos of the "superstars", like thinking that they are better off themselves, interfere with soccer logic, like communicating/passing and counter-attacking down the flanks.

If Juventus were to purchase the likes of Antonio Cassano and Patrick Viera, don't you think it would be a little risky to throw out a large amount of money on a couple of players who could potentially become the cancer of a team with a poor attitude and work ethic?

In a way, you are right to request some "big" signings, but you have to be careful. Sure, Viera is a good midfielder, but look at his age (29). In three years time, he'll be out. A much safer alternative would be Mancini of Roma, who is a solid defensive/offensive midfielder, and would be an ideal partner with Emerson. Mancini is also much cheaper than Patrick Viera.

I disagree with the idea of selling Appiah, Maresca, and Miccoli. These players are the future of Juventus. If you want a team that has depth (Milan for example), you have to let the players work together, even if it means loosing the Champions' League for another year or two. Appiah and Maresca would be good back-up midfielders for Emerson and Mancini, and Miccoli, although I doubt he will allow himself to stay as a Juventus player after Juventus just ditched him, could be like Zalayeta.

The key to success lies in forming a team, consistent and solid in the long-run, instead of forming an all-star squad, leaving you with inconsistent results and locker-room problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)