Momo Sissoko (8 Viewers)

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
Mali's ex-Liverpool and Juventus star Momo Sissoko retires
By Mohamed Fajah Barrie
BBC Sport, Sierra Leone

Former Liverpool and Juventus midfielder Momo Sissoko has announced his retirement from football. The ex-Mali international, who turns 35 on January 22, last played in the French second-tier for Sochaux last season.

"If I am here this evening, it is to tell you that it is the end for me," Sissoko told French television channel RMC Sport. "I stop my career. It is a decision really difficult to take and to say."

Sissoko featured for 14 clubs including European sides Liverpool, Valencia, PSG, Juventus, Fiorentina and Levante and won seven trophies. During his time with Valencia he won a La liga title, the European Super Cup as well as the now-defunct Uefa Cup. That success led to a move to English Premier League side Liverpool in 2005 where he won another European Super Cup and the FA Cup. After falling out of favour with then Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez he moved to Italian giants Juventus.

The France-born players first professional French club was was Paris Saint-Germain, where he won the Ligue 1 title. Sissoko also won the French Ligue 1 with PSG and the English FA cup, Uefa super cup and FA community shield with Liverpool. Following his release by PSG in 2013 his club career became somewhat nomadic with a spell back in Spain at Levante, before moving to Asia where he played for Chinese outfit Shanghai Shenhua and Indian club Pune City. He then returned to Europe and the Italian second-tier as he signed for Ternana, where he spent just three weeks before going back to Asia and Indonesian side Mitra Kukar. His journey then took him to central America and a stint at Mexican club Atletico San Luis in 2017. Sissoko's final two clubs were Kitchee in Hong Kong and then finally a short time at French side Sochaux, who he signed a six-month deal with in January last year.

He was born in France but committed his international future to his country of origin Mali and made his debut for the Eagles in 2004. Sissoko made 34 appearances for Mali scoring two goals, and he helped the Eagles to a third place finish at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations. In all he played at four Africa Cup of Nations finals - 2004, 2008, 2010 and 2013.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Happy birthday and retirement!

When he was asked who was the greatest between Gerrard and Del Piero, he said Ale without a doubt. He has huge respect for him

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Was also quite often injured though.

Dude was a terrible player in comparison to the likes of Marchisio, Vidal, Pirlo and Pogba

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
He was amazing defensively tho, 2nd most suffocating midfield ball winner we had in Juve shirt after Vidal, around Davids level defensively. The rest were terrible, but he was also an endearing and likeable player, so I genuinely enjoyed having him with us despite it all.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
He was amazing defensively tho, 2nd most suffocating midfield ball winner we had in Juve shirt after Vidal, around Davids level defensively. The rest were terrible, but he was also an endearing and likeable player, so I genuinely enjoyed having him with us despite it all.
Best tackler I've seen along with Nesta, not saying he had more to his game than that. But his tackles and runs were impressive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)