[MLS] United States Soccer (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I have not seen a thread yet about the MLS and American soccer, so I think one is over due. Many of our brightest talents have gone to Europe and some wait in the wings of MLS to become stronger players and then make the final move across the pond. More and more players are being discovered every season, and the MLS has provided the US and European clubs some great players. Here are some of the players the MLS has produced:

GK Tim Howard, Manchester United
GK Brad Friedel, Blackburn Rovers
D Carlos Bocanegra, Fulham
F Brian McBride, Fulham
D Ryan Nelson, Blackburn Rovers (NZ)
M Demarcus Beasley, PSV Eindhoven
M Landon Donovan, Bayer Leverkusen
D Greg Vanney, Bastia
F Clint Mathis, Hannover 96

Top MLS prospects:

D Cory Gibbs, Dallas Burn
F Taylor Twellman, New England Revolution
F Eddie Gaven, NY/NJ Metrostars
M Danny Stezela, Columbus Crew- That kid is sick, maybe better than Adu
M Guillermo Gonzalez, LA Galaxy
M Freddy Adu, DC United
F Eddie Johnson, Dallas Burn??? I forgot
D Clarence Goodson, LA Galaxy- great player with goofy hair from Uni. of Maryland

And more to come. Looks like a nice future ahead of us.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Well andy I believe that USA could dominate the world football arena if the sport got half the attention american football or baseball is getting. I mean USA has it all, brazilians, argentinians, italians, germans, english, dutch citizens. couple that with the marketing and media machine US has and you could easily dominate! only if the sport gets attention that is!

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Blandest ] ++
Need better coaches, better competition and better talent before MLS becomes anyway other than Mickeymouse League Soccer.
well of course they need better coaches and talent. I am talking in the long run here. here is the sequence that i mean:

Public attention>>>Media attention>>>Marketing attention>>>more money for the clubs>>>>better coaches>>>>better talents>>>Importing global talents from europe and south america........>>>>>winning WC

thats of course would take 20 years or so

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by zambrota19 ] ++
well of course they need better coaches and talent. I am talking in the long run here. here is the sequence that i mean:

Public attention>>>Media attention>>>Marketing attention>>>more money for the clubs>>>>better coaches>>>>better talents>>>Importing global talents from europe and south america........>>>>>winning WC

thats of course would take 20 years or so
The problem being that "Public attention" has to come after "Winning WC" ;)

Vicious cycle, really...

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Andy, how long do you think it'll take before the USA wins a World Cup?
    Thats a good question. I think that our great showing in the last World Cup in Korea was due to hard work and team play, not individual talent obviously, so Arena was able to make due with what we had. The difference now is that we have much more talented players at our disposal, this being only about 2 and half years after the World Cup. The progression in talent production has made leaps and bounds since before 2002, and now we have an arsenal of good young players. Player like Donovan and Beasley were fairly young in 2002 and were not the players they are today. Beasley is tearing up Holland and the CL with PSV and Donovan is assured to be a key player with Leverkusen. Now we have even better players that have been in Europe for some time, like CB Onyweu who recently was voted best player in Belguim above who else but Kompany, and also players like John Spector at Man U who gets decent playing time. Our players are certainly coming along, and we have a good chance of doing well at the next WC in Germany. However I do not think we are ready to win the Cup just yet, as in 2006 we will still have a very young team. But once WC 2010 comes around the top players we have now will be in their prime and youngsters like Adu and Stezela will be playing (hopefully) for top clubs in Europe. I see no reason why the US should be written off as not WC contenders because we will have the talent to compete and if Arena is still around by then we can count on a team thats better than the one that reached the Quarterfinals in 2002. Its only a matter of time. :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by zambrota19 ] ++
    Y? the whole world is crazed about football, but yet only 7 nations ever won WC
    We're talking about America here, where the best teams in the country are called "World Champions"

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004

We're talking about America here, where the best teams in the country are called "World Champions"
    Ya guess you are right. so i guess the solution is to get the country out of its isolation:D

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #15

:yuck: when did u 2 get married?
    As soon as you left because I thought I'd never see you again. ;)

Stay on Topic before Tom Montero comes in here and closes this place down so I can go on another anti anti-American rant.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16

Thats stupid baseball, it should not even be mentioned on a soccer forum.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #19
    ++ [ originally posted by Sid ] ++
    what makes you so sure that Adu gonna play for the USA team? while he could be a God in Ghana;)
    Because he has already played for the U-19 National Team. :lazy:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Sid ] ++
    what makes you so sure that Adu gonna play for the USA team? while he could be a God in Ghana;)
    I believe he's already played for their youth team and stated countless times that he wants to play for the USA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)