Miralem Pjanić (105 Viewers)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
This is why I hold hope that it was just Klopp's system that he didn't like playing B2B in. The three forwards are up the pitch so quick, you smash it to them and it's in the net before you cross half. But you have to still sprint to cross half because if they lose the ball you have to counter press like a mad man.

I mean obviously it works to some degree but I could see a CM uncomfortable in so much space. Especially Can who is a bigger CM.

This is also the reason I think he doesn't get rated by some people. I think he has clear talent but he can look really bad when asked to play #8 under Klopp.
Yep :agree:

Klopp's system is very forgiving towards limited technical midfielders, that are tactically adept and has the needed stamina and physique: Oxlade, Milner etc. They "shine" in his system.

I think Can can do really well as a box to box under Allegri:lower pace, more control and touches, and runs inside the box to be "third man". [Hopefully in a 3-man midfield]

OP
zizinho

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
  • Thread Starter #3,883
    so lets say we get Can, SMS and Pellegrini, would you guys rather Khedira or Matuidi to stay? i say Khedira, because he would rotate with Can, while Matuidi can only play on the left side where our attacking mezzala SMS would get most of the minutes. you can say we would move SMS to the right side when Matuidi replaces Can, so it doesent really matter, but for me, in the current setup with Cuadrado at RB, Dybala RSS and Costa LW, Sergej on the left makes MUCH more sense.

so its either Khedira/Can Pjanic/Bentancur Sergej/Pellegrini or Can/Pellegrini Pjanic/Bentancur Sergej/Matuidi. i chose the 1st option, even though an in form Matuidi is probably the better player than current Khedira or Can

OP
    zizinho

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
  • Thread Starter #3,886
    it also makes more sense to have the more defensive player on the right side as opposed to the left, considering we need someone to cover for our attacking RB Cuadrado, adn Dybala doesent work much defensively. on the left, Costa would provide width which SMS would take advantage of, so we dont really need our LB to be much attacking oriented (makes sense to sell AS in that case?)

- - - Updated - - -

Khedira of course. I would have picked early season Matuidi, but not sure he'll ever come back, looked terrible ever since the injury. If Mino can ship him out, so be it.
    it makes perfect sense, except we rarely ship out players after only one season (some exceptions are there, but mostly cheap players). hopefully Mourinho still wants (or we move him to LB :klin:)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
    Khedira of course. I would have picked early season Matuidi, but not sure he'll ever come back, looked terrible ever since the injury. If Mino can ship him out, so be it.
    Matuidi had a honeymoon period and then we saw his real qualities: can't control a ball or make a pass if his lief depends on it.

It really sad that we have 4 midfielders that we can expect to decline next season: Marchisio, Khedira, Matuidi and (maybe) Sturaro.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
    Jan 26, 2009
    There's no such thing as a declining Accidental Footballer. That is the stuff of myth and legends, like unicorns and dragons. In order to decline, you must have reached a particular standard first. When you're the absolute worst, the trough of troughs, there can be no further regression.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    There's no such thing as a declining Accidental Footballer. That is the stuff of myth and legends, like unicorns and dragons. In order to decline, you must have reached a particular standard first. When you're the absolute worst, the trough of troughs, there can be no further regression.
    Would you consider his death a regression or an improvement?

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    Not really IMO. We looked absolutely devastated and clueless without him, clearly our most consistent player of the season.
    :agree:

I wouldn't say he was consistent over the whole season but he was crucial for us, and turned up in a lot of big games and against the smaller teams.

May 23, 2013
    Not really IMO. We looked absolutely devastated and clueless without him, clearly our most consistent player of the season.
    Yes if you replace any midfield with Khedira, Matuidi, Sturaro, or 19 year old Bentancur any midfield would be garbage.

He started both games vs Spurs. What happened there? Why wasn’t the midfield when he started vs Inter, Napoli, Barcelona?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 97)